fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/10/08...

“The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun!”
beat this into your head!!!
louder!!!
I can't hear you?!!!

Washington Post wrote:
America is as always in the midst of a bitter debate over guns.

In the wake of last week’s mass shooting in Oregon, gun control advocates called for new restrictions on weapons as a way of preventing such tragedies. President Obama vowed to push for tighter gun control. Ian Mercer, the father of Oregon shooter Chris Harper Mercer, lent his support to the idea. “If Chris had not been able to get hold of 13 guns, this wouldn’t have happened,” he told CNN.

Gun rights advocates argued this approach was all wrong. The answer to mass shootings wasn’t less guns; it was more. More guns in the hands of law-abiding citizens who could stop active shooters before they start slaughtering innocents.

Now an interesting example has been tossed into the middle of this ideological tussle.

On Tuesday, customers were coming and going in the parking lot of a Home Depot near Detroit when a shoplifter suddenly came tearing across the blacktop. The shoplifter, who appeared to be in his 40s and wore a black shirt and hat, was pushing a cart full of stolen power tools and welding equipment worth more than $1,000.

As a Home Depot loss prevention officer came running after him, the shoplifter shoved the stolen goods into a waiting black SUV and jumped in.

That’s when a female bystander pulled out a concealed pistol and fired several shots at the fleeing shoplifters, possibly striking one of the SUV’s rear tires.

The shoplifters nonetheless escaped, according to a press release from the Auburn Hills Police Department.

The female shooter stayed at the scene and is cooperating fully with the investigation, according to police. Cops have not identified her but have said she is 46 years old, from the nearby city of Clarkston and holds a valid concealed pistol license.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you sure SHE was the good guy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
But thats not possible. We were told guns solve everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say this is a failure of the education process in their permitting process. Obviously this woman either doesn't know the appropriate situations to use a gun, or she eagerly flouted those conventions in order to use the weapon she is always lugging around and never getting to use because the actual occasions to use it in self-defense rarely happen in real life. She has fallen into the logical trap of criminal=target.

We allegedly train Police many hours to learn when it is appropriate to use lethal force. Private gun owners, not so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Bonus points for the Police who had a discussion with the 46-year-old woman, then released her, with the idea that they "are still considering charging" her. Yet... if she had been a teenage Black male, that poor bastard would be face-down in a pool of blood while cops explained to the media how he had created a dangerous issue of public safety and had to be dealt with accordingly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you stop thinking of the NRA as a pressure group like all the others, and start thinking of it explicitly as the lobbying arm of a firearm manufacturers' association, dedicated to getting as many arms sales for its member companies as it possibly can, all the rest sort of clicks into place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, she's from my town, I'll have to do some digging to see who it is.
As a bonus, I can see the Home Depot from my office window.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qzhdad wrote:

Stay away from the window!

I have to say, filling a cart with $1000 worth of tools and running out the door is not what I would have thought of as "shoplifting".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
qzhdad wrote:

I have to say, filling a cart with $1000 worth of tools and running out the door is not what I would have thought of as "shoplifting".

When I worked at best buy, this lady and a guy came in.
The lady had this specially made apron like thing on under her clothes. It was about 10 feet wide when unrolled and laid out.
It had huge pockets in it.
They were stealing video cards, thousands of dollars worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
lfisher wrote:
qzhdad wrote:

When I worked at best buy, this lady and a guy came in.
The lady had this specially made apron like thing on under her clothes. It was about 10 feet wide when unrolled and laid out.
It had huge pockets in it.
They were stealing video cards, thousands of dollars worth.

Wow!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
fightcitymayor wrote:
Bonus points for the Police who had a discussion with the 46-year-old woman, then released her, with the idea that they "are still considering charging" her. Yet... if she had been a teenage Black male, that poor bastard would be face-down in a pool of blood while cops explained to the media how he had created a dangerous issue of public safety and had to be dealt with accordingly.

So is the current perpetrator enjoying special treatment or simply receiving neutral treatment?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Why should gun owners be aware of how and when to properly use them?

DO YOU HATE FREEDOM!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BimmyJim wrote:
If only her aim was better.

If only her common sense was better.

If only her training was better.

If only her husband was better keeping her barefoot in the kitchen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:

Had I been there with my concealed weapon, what would happen to me if I had killed her while she was endangering my family shooting a weapon in a public place? I'm a white male so I assume I would get a medal and free ammo for life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bimmy Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyOffice wrote:
BimmyJim wrote:
If only her aim was better.

If only her common sense was better.

If only her training was better.

If only her husband was better keeping her barefoot in the kitchen.

I was kidding.

I would wager that anyone who is good enough to shoot a moving target probably knows when and when not to use their gun.

Problem is you have a bunch of idiots that own guns in the US. No safety test, nothing..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
garygarison wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:

So is the current perpetrator enjoying special treatment or simply receiving neutral treatment?

Let's assume it's "neutral treatment."

Would a black man in the same circumstances be accorded neutral treatment or receive special treatment?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't see how she could possibly be allowed to leave the scene without being arrested. WTF?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm predicting that the police will quietly revisit the decision and she will lose her license, but nothing else will happen. Maybe she'll get some community service.

I actually think the police may have made the right decision to delay justice. It's pretty low odds that she'll see another situation to play cowboy in the next few days. If they'd hauled her in, there'd be whackjobs picketing the jail. "We" love our guns in southeast Michigan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qzhdad wrote:
I'm predicting that the police will quietly revisit the decision and she will lose her license, but nothing else will happen. Maybe she'll get some community service.

I actually think the police may have made the right decision to delay justice. It's pretty low odds that she'll see another situation to play cowboy in the next few days. If they'd hauled her in, there'd be whackjobs picketing the jail. "We" love our guns in southeast Michigan.

Why would it be a bad thing for whackjobs to be protesting the charge of attempted murder?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Golux13 wrote:
garygarison wrote:

Let's assume it's "neutral treatment."

Would a black man in the same circumstances be accorded neutral treatment or receive special treatment?

Oh, I have no question a black teen male would be subject to less equitable treatment. It's the larger question of "privilege" that's been on my mind of late. If the woman is receiving neutral treatment, then privilege is something ever-so-much-more-so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
With all these "Good Guys with a Gun", who needs enemies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/10/08...

The female shooter stayed at the scene and is cooperating fully with the investigation, according to police. Cops have not identified her but have said she is 46 years old, from the nearby city of Clarkston and holds a valid concealed pistol license.

Sorry -- what's the issue here?

Sounds like the lady did the right thing; pity the perp got away. She may need to take some marksmanship classes; there's no way I would have fired "several shots" and missed from any reasonable range.

Ferret
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dispaminite wrote:
But thats not possible. We were told guns solve everything.

Odd, I've only heard anti-gunners claim that *banning* guns would solve everything......

Ferret
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bbenston wrote:
Once you stop thinking of the NRA as a pressure group like all the others, and start thinking of it explicitly as the lobbying arm of a firearm manufacturers' association, dedicated to getting as many arms sales for its member companies as it possibly can, all the rest sort of clicks into place.

But then of course that would be ignoring the actual facts and such....

For what it's worth I personally consider the NRA too ready to compromise. I'm more a Gun Owners of America man myself:

http://www.gunowners.org

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
I can't see how she could possibly be allowed to leave the scene without being arrested. WTF?

How and on what charge?

One might a case for reckless endangerment, something like that, but it's a stretch given the facts presented in that article.

Ferret
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [13] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.