Adam Daulton
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For each 100th game session I record here on Board Game Geek I plan on writing a review for the game played. “Now why would you do that?” you may ask. Well, I don’t know. It just seemed like something fun to do with an afternoon. I’m even going about it backwards, having already reviewed my 200th game played which was Shear Panic. I’m now working on my 100th game played review.

Looks
The looks of the cards are all right in this game. The art is more caricature type art, rather than the real thing. I do think the cards fit the feel and theme of the game very well though. They are easy to read, simply because they are based on symbols, and seem to be durable enough to hold up.

Strategy
There is some strategy in Bang!, though not a great deal. The strategy in this game is based on how well you can lie and convince the Sheriff that you are a deputy and not an outlaw. There is also some strategy in what gun you want to play, what person to shoot, and so forth. Much of the strategy, like many card games, depends on what cards you draw. If you get a Barrel you play it or if you draw a beer and you need some health you play it and there really isn’t much thought that goes into it. With the right group of players, the lying and conniving part of the strategy can get very interesting, but there will not be that many times where you have to make really tough decisions on which cards to play.

Difficulty
Bang! is a game that I have had great success teaching to gamers and non-gamers alike. The most difficult part of the game for people to understand is the line of sight. Since there is two different distances in the game, this can be a little confusing for first time players. Player aids are provided to explain the symbols on the cards and this makes Bang! easy enough for new players to play and once someone has a game under their belt it flows quickly.

Overall
I’ve probably played Bang! more than any other game in my life other than perhaps Risk and I have definitely played it more than any other game since I’ve been keeping track here on BGG. It provides a really great experience for a gaming group or just a gathering of non-gaming friends. This has been a huge hit with getting non-gamers to start coming to our local game night after they have played it at a party or something. I also really like the ability to play with a large number of players. Seven with just regular Bang! and eight with the Dodge City expansion. The only down side to the game is that it has the possibility to drag a bit towards the end if it gets down to three players. I understand that there is an expansion; I believe it is High Noon, which helps to eliminate this problem. So overall if you are looking for a lighter game that accommodates a wide variety of people and tastes then Bang! is a game for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
this is one game id love to get. And your review has made me want to get it more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Daulton
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the compliment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.