Subject: Final of the 10th Friedrich World Championship rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anton Telle
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can read the German version of this report here: session report on histogame

This is my first game report of a match in which I did not participate myself. I have been following the events as a spectator and try to reproduce them here. Sometimes I also got a glimpse of the TKs of the nations.

distribution of the roles:
Friedrich: Christian (1st of the preliminary round)
Elisabeth: Mark (4th of the preliminary round)
Maria Theresia: Guy (2nd of the preliminary round)
Pompadour: Manni (3rd of the preliminary round)

Prussia has many hearts, gives Silesia away

Prussia receives a lot of hearts in the first hands (about 9 of the first 14 TCs). Therefore Lehwaldt goes to Mohrungen (East Prussia hearts) and Dohna on Woldenberg (Neumark hearts). There Dohna is attacked from clubs by Saltikov and Fermor in Round 4 with 13 to 6 armies. Prussia draws some clubs from Russia, and then Russia withdraws. From then on Dohna will only fight in clubs.

Austria attacks in round 4 Breslau with 23 to 5 armies (Schwerin and Keith). Christian wanted to pull his troops on the main road to Berlin after the battle, but had not factored in that Austria will probably not withdraw him on the main road, and he would thus be involved in more fights. Therefore he takes both generals from the board. In Central Saxony Prussia is safe. The two small Austrian generals romp around in South and West Saxony.

Magdeburg is already attacked in round 4 - Prussia retreats after playing one TC with -1. In the next round France attacks again in hearts, but this time France withdraws. Many generals are in West Saxony: Cumberland moves there, Soubise follows him to the clubs sector. There he is surprisingly attacked in round 5 by Cumberland and swept off the board! But Browne engages Cumberland and retreats him back so that France then encircles Cumberland in spades and takes him off the board.

Browne at Magdeburg

In Round 6 something unusual happened: Mark has all the objectives in East Prussia, but goes with Apraxin and Tottleben to Olsztyn (Lehwaldt is now on Soldau). Thus Prussia recaptures two of the four target cities in East Prussia (expert rule). The Russians attack Lehwaldt in clubs, but go off the board.

Browne will henceforth always be troublesome for Prussia. Guy attacked with him Magdeburg. Seydlitz withdraws immediately, but is pushed by Austria to the spades hearts border. There, Chevert takes the chance and Seydlitz comes voluntarily off the board. So Halberstadt is conquered. Magdeburg is covered by Heinrich, who has been initially taking care of Malchin (Swedish target city).

Austria conquers all of Silesia. In round 8 the fate card India is drawn.

Magdeburg is a danger zone

Russia is now trying to reduce Prussians Clubs by attacking Dohna with army superiority and retreat as soon as possible. Even Sweden draws some Prussian clubs. However, Dohna stands his ground.

Austria now only needs the target cities in Saxony. However, Guy does not aggressively hunt down the supply trains (possibly he feared fighting army superiority in diamonds).

On turn 10 Browne attacks again close to Magdeburg - this time Heinrich and Cumberland simultaneously (the latter was reinstated and went straight to Magdeburg). Guy will always take such an opportunity . Both generals retreat immediately. Even against the two individually attacking French generals Heinrich withdraws. Cumberland tries to draw French hearts, but has little luck. He is then surrounded himself, and then plays all his hearts against French clubs. Thus Ferdinand is relatively safe to defend Diepholz in clubs.
Then Heinrich attacks Chevert, who has only one -1 retreat option. After many played hearts Chevert manages just that. Afterwards France has only one heart card in his hand, and her generals retreat to spades and diamonds.

Keith recaptures Brieg

Lehwaldt made a bad move, and could be attacked from hearts to clubs. Of course he then goes off the board. Saltikov and Fermor defeat Dohna for the first time in clubs. However, Mark receives only few clubs afterwards. Russia does not engage in fights in the next rounds.

Austria attacks for the first time in Saxony diamonds. Austria has 15 armies, Prussia 18 - Austria withdraws after a few played TCs.

In round 12 Sweden drops out of the war. Prussia takes Lehwaldt out of the game.

Prussia always recruits with spades. Keith breaks through to Breslau. Although he is attacked on the road by Laudon (8 armies) over and over again, but still Keith survives and conquers Brieg. Keith then defends Brieg by always retreating by -1 in combat. Christian often prepares a "magic" withdrawal card during his turn. Amazingly, Keith always plays diamonds. However, Prussia seems to have a lots diamond cards.

Magdeburg falls to the French

Browne keeps on harassing Heinrich at Magdeburg. He even has to play two reserves to get out of fights early. Prussia forgets to move Heinrich at one time, which leads to his demise - he goes off the board. Magdeburg is without defender and France captures it in round 14. The red pieces now only need Diepholz to win.

In round 14 there is also the biggest diamonds battle in Saxony. Austria plays three of her four reserves, but has to retreat by 4. Austria still had about 20 diamond points in her hand, but Prussia had a lot more.

Russia now also has to fight Seydlitz: he was quick to recapture Küstrin. Together Russia and Austria manage to fight him off the board. After that Russia can call Küstrin her own for the second time. Dohna is being attacked in clubs, but without progress.

In round 17 Friedrich's Poems are being published. Do the allies now have a better chance of winning?

many spectators

Ferdinand sits tight

Chevert attacks Ferdinand alone. France is being dragged into the strategic rectangle: Cumberland went South, and Manni fears a reconquest of Magdeburg, even though Austria helps to keep the Prussians away.
The club fights around Diepholz do not last long. First Chevert retreats by 1, after that Ferdinand always retreats by 1 immediately (Chevert 8 armies, Ferdinand 7 armies), and still holds on to Diepholz. Manni then wants to change generals to attack with a smaller one, but it is already too late.

Browne and Daun are positioned around Berlin and are able to impair the supply of the Generals in Saxony. Yet Prussia manages to capture the Austrian supply train in Saxony, which gives a little relief. One Austrian general goes off the map due to malnutrition.

Eventful last rounds

Round 19 sees a big clubs battle in Kammin in which Prussia plays to zero repeatedly. The battle ends in a draw because Russia has no more clubs. Next turn Tottleben is being sent off the board. Yet, Prussia seems to have few clubs herself and retreats in the next fight.

Austria and Hildi manage to kill off the Prussian supply trains in consecutive round. However, Prussia manages to stay in supply with newly bought supply trains. Now Austria attacks in diamonds in earnest. Prussia retreats immediately even with a reserve - even though Prussia still has some diamonds in her hand. Christian now only wants to hold on to the last objectives.

At the end of turn 21 France leaves the game to loosing colonies in America.

Prussia now even recruits with diamonds! Dohna flees behind the sector line to Neu Stettin (spades), to not fight in clubs. Austria attacks with 20 to 6 armies in Saxony - Prussia immediately retreats. Even the Imperial Army attacks in diamonds and manages to retreat the Prussians. Turn 22 sees Lord Bute.

During the last round Prussia retreats with -1 everywhere, as if Christian knows that it is the last round. Finally the tsarina Elisabeth dies - Prussia/Hanover and therefore Christian Blattner wins the Final of the 10. Friedrich-WC and is the new World Champion!

Statistics:

cards of fate (round:event): 8:India, 12:Sweden, 17oems, 21:America, 22:LordBute, 23:Elisabeth
Length: 23 Rounds, about 5,5 hours brutto
Prussia: Winnner
Russia: 8 objectives
Sweden: 6 out of 10 objectives
Austria: 10 out of 12 objectives
Hildi (played by Pompadour in the end): 3 out of 5 objectives
France: 9 objectives
Preußen had 7 minutes left, the Alliies had 9 minutes left (time allocation = 130 minutes).

12 months remaining until the 11. Friedrich WC! 8)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Hoefer
Germany
Hambuehren
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for this most entertaining report!

Quote:
I have been following the events as a spectator and try to reproduce them here.

I have to apologize to you as my poor performance with Prussia might be the reason why you did not participate in the Final! Then again, if you had been in the Final we wouldn't have the pleasure to read this very detailed report!

It seems to have been a very entertaining and nail-biting match and I can only imagine the relief Christian must have felt after the game was finally over. The Tsarina in turn 23 is not really what the Prussian hopes for before the match.

Did you record starting and ending time? Were there breaks? I believe they started the Final about 5 pm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Telle
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, don't be too hard on yourself for losing as Prussia on turn 7. Next time you will be better. I was only close to the final because I got lucky in my last game, where I won with France, but should have ended up with only 8 points.

But it is true - I was close to the final. I was the first player with 3 wins to not reach the final. And gaining 42.375 points in the previous tournaments always meant reaching the final. The previous record for most points in fifth place was 40 points - also held by me , at the 6th WC. Well, I wasn't too sad.

The final startet at 4.40 pm and ended at 10.20 pm. Then there were discussions and celebrations...

Here is the protocoll

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Tha can allus tell a Yorkshireman, but tha canna tell him much
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure that those who saw the final will agree that for Christian: the record shows he took the blows and did it his way!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.