Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Steed
United Kingdom
Swindon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say we can discard cards, but we cannot find a hand size limit. So why would we discard action cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X. Nostradunwhich
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The number of cards in your hand is driven by the scenario you are playing. It is one of the ways the rules differ from the HoN rules at present. One of the interesting elements is that the Scenario rules are used to manage the hand size when there are more than 2 players in a scenario.

The "Build your Own Scenario" rules in the Scenario book show the hand size depending on the point limit for each side (Scenario book, p. 22). Note that for smaller games (less than 250 pts) it is less than 4 cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 9 End of Turn - The first Paragraph has some text missing -

It probably should read Discard as amny cards as you wish, then Draw up to as many cards as described in the chosen scanario....

The bold text is my take on the missing words.

Basically the scanario defines a Hand Limit which is only enforced to limit how many cards you draw.

there is no limit on how many cards you can hold (except deck size) but you can only drw upto the scenario draw limit + bonuses.

That is how I read it anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TRobo Wili
msg tools
mbmbmb
Since there has been no correction I'm going to assume you are right Jerry, and continue to play with 'no limit to hand size'.

We just played the first scenario last night and 'no limit' seemed to work. I ended up with a hand of three cards at one point but need and opportunity made sure that I was playing them just to try and get a win.

*Edit*

Actually it's spelled out in the first two pages of the campaign book.

The player hand-size is also the maximum hand-size. So no holding more than two cards each during the first scenario, for instance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No hand size is mentioned in the first scenario?

I'm still very confused by what should be a really simple rule.

I understand the rule is missing the word "draw", but no hand size limit rule seems to appear anywhere.

Accepting, as stated here, there is a hand limit based on scenario, the first scenario only says in "3-Preparation", "Each player draws 2 cards."

This seems obviously part of setup. No where else do I see cards even mentioned. Shouldn't there be a listing in "4-Gameplay" that says "hand size limit = 2", if that's what is meant?

I'd even be okay with the Preparation saying "Each player draws to their hand limit of 2 cards." Then at least the hand limit would be set.

But it only says "DRAW 2 cards". NOTHING is said about a limit. I understand your interpretation is to use this as a limit, but it seems a big leap.

Even after a couple of years of being criticized for their English rules for HoN, DPG still doesn't get the importance of rules editing and SoN obviously suffers from much the same problem.

I am...disappointed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.