6 Posts

Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Move out of the Colony? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bik Lander
Belgium
flag msg tools
I just received my copy of DoW 2 days ago. i played a 2 player game, and one thing i saw was that it was very easy to win, just move with the survivors to an external location, so the colony is actually empty...
this is causing the effect you don't need food, no zombie's are added at the colony, IF a place would get overrun on the colony due to card effects, no one would get wounded/killed, etc.

i really had the feeling that this is some kind of flaw, it actually makes the game a little easy i think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should only play two players when using the Prisoner's Dilemma variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
You cannot empty the colony if you take on any helpless survivors (from the scenario set up or from new survivor cards) and zombies come out twice as fast at non-colony locations (1 per survivor as opposed to 1 for every two in the colony).

It is workable, but often it is more of a delay tactic than a winning strategy, IMO.

I also recommend the designer created Prisoner's Dilemma variant (its all over the forums).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buffie81 wrote:
I just received my copy of DoW 2 days ago. i played a 2 player game, and one thing i saw was that it was very easy to win, just move with the survivors to an external location, so the colony is actually empty...
this is causing the effect you don't need food, no zombie's are added at the colony, IF a place would get overrun on the colony due to card effects, no one would get wounded/killed, etc.

i really had the feeling that this is some kind of flaw, it actually makes the game a little easy i think.

You won't need any food, but you will have twice as many zombies to deal with, you will have no way to clean waste and you will have trouble dealing with helpless survivors.

It is a possible strategy, but it had considerable drawbacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing you played the We Need More Samples scenario? (Hopefully Hardcore mode, since you were 2 players fully co-op.)

That one is used as an introduction because it really incentivizes you to move out of the colony, since killing zombies is part of the objective. Showing how effective emptying the colony is as a strategy is a good tutorial to introduce players to the game mechanics.

It's not as effective with the other scenarios. Too Many Mouths basically means a large helpless survivor genocide if you empty the colony. Any scenario where killing zombies is an hindrance rather than part of the objective will also feel much more difficult once most of your actions are spent fending off zombies, when using a few food cards that you will be accumulating by definition while looting would allow you to have more breathing room to use actions on other things. And so forth.

In general I find people tend to have one survivor at the colony and the balance outside, with some exceptions. Leaving the colony to one player is bad if he ends up being the Betrayer, since you don't get a vote on colony Crossroads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buffie81 wrote:

This wouldn't work for some scenarios (e.g. Too Many Mouths), but yeah, the less people at the colony, the better. This would work with 3 players or four if someone has John Price and Kodiak Colby.

Although, if someone doesn't want to do this idea, they may be the only person at the colony and therefore the only vote on crossroads. So, in theory, this could be dangerous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.