Nicholas Fletcher
United States
Marion
OH: OHIO
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Simple Gold and Menace Rules:
These rules are designed to remove the treasure tokens from the game and replace them with just dice. They also add an element of player interaction in a game that really needs it.

Added Components:
Several white 6-sided dice. One for each player.
These dice are known as the Gold dice.
One black 6-sided die.
This die is known as the Menace die.

Removed Components:
All of the treasure tokens.

Added Setup:
Each player starts the game with 2 Gold.
Give each player a Gold die. Place it in front of them "2" side up.
Give the Menace die to the first Dungeon Lord.

Changed Rules:
Gold:
Whenever you would gain a treasure token, you instead gain 1 Gold.
If you have no Gold, take a Gold die and place it in front of you "1" side up.
If you already have Gold, adjust your Gold die to show your new Gold total.
You can never have more than 6 Gold.

At any time, you can spend Gold to assist your quest.
There are two ways you can spend Gold to help yourself (both cost 1 Gold):
1: Take a Party die from the discard, roll it and add it to the party.
2: Take a Party die in the party and set it to the side of your choosing.

When you spend Gold, adjust your Gold die to show your new Gold total.
If you have 0 Gold, return your Gold die to the supply.

At the end of the game, you gain bonus Experience equal to half your Gold, rounded up.

Menace:
At the start of the Delve, the Dungeon Lord sets their Menace equal to the number of Delves the adventurer has gone on plus one, including the current Delve. When you gain or lose Menace, adjust the Menace die to show your new Menace.

At any time, you can spend 1 Menace to reroll all of the Dungeon dice you just rolled.

If the Adventurer is forced to Flee the Dungeon, the Dungeon Lord gains Experience equal to half of the Level the Adventurer fled on (rounded up).
When the Delve ends, the Dungeon Lord loses all unspent Menace and gives the Menace die to the next Dungeon Lord.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
laurent
France
Paris
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds good !
Fast and easy variant
I'll give it a try
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rico Amaral
Canada
Cole Harbour
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sounds interesting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Neises
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Looking forward to giving this a try. The player interaction makes me think that I might also like to replace the standard 3 rounds with a 'first to ___ experience' finish as well. It would make my wife less upset about the menace dice at least! Not sure what to do when you hit round 6 though? Perhaps that would max the menace out, just like the gold?

Thanks for the idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Neises
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This was a great variation! The gold / menace greatly increased the player interaction and the amount of meaningful choices. The dungeon lord was not just a passive roller of dice, but actively engaged in the process. Thematically I felt like I was choosing what monsters to throw at the adventurer. As the adventurer I felt that I could really push my luck if I had stored up enough gold.

We did add the additional variation that we picked a point total to play to (25 points). This only took 4 rounds, but I liked how we didn't feel that the delve number was arbitrary. Instead you could take it slow and steady or push your luck. It also made the special character powers more meaningful I felt. I was able to use them earlier in the delve knowing that I could get out with 4-5 points and come back on the next delve if I wanted to.

Overall, the gold / menace is the only way I'll be playing this in the future. Thanks for the great idea Nicholas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.