Subject: Hanabi vs. Hanabi Deluxe rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M Jenkins
msg tools
badge
Me neither.
mbmbmbmbmb
So I keep wanting to check out Hanabi because it looks interesting, people seem to like it, and it's fairly inexpensive. I've also seen that a deluxe version of Hanabi exists. Do you think it's worth the extra money or should I just stick with the card version? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I like holding the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the card version and it works great. The tiles look nice, and it is a bit easier to "mark" a tile as you can change the position/side it is laying on, versus trying to hold cards every which way. From what I've seen the tiles show wear just as much as cards do, which is a potential problem with Hanabi if you are playing it a lot. There are also some visibility issues with the tiles, whereas the cards are easy to read.

IMO, unless you like the tactile experience of tiles, theres no reason to spend the extra money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I really dislike playing this game with cards. I like the feeling of the tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willett
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love both of these games and have both copies. If I had to recommend one, I would, without reservation, say you should get the card verson of the game. If you sleeve your copy of the card version you are pretty much set. I got the deluxe version because I love the game, but we have played so many games with the cards that we are actually a little worse at it with the tiles. We have discussed this and thing that, for us, it is something to do with *holding* the cards. The physical connection helps us or something. Sure you develop a sweet claw hand when you are holding your cards so that you can keep everything straight, but it works perfectly fine. The cheaper price point is also a fancy bonus. If you are unsure if you will like the game, it is a great way to get a copy.

The tile version is fantastic, I have a couple small complaints about it, but nothing that should disuade you from getting it.

Get the card version, if you love it and want to upgrade to deluxe, give your card version to someone so they can love the game too. Or do what I did and keep both so that one version stays at home and one travels with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cards:
+ Portable
- Often forget to draw 'away' from you

Tiles:
+ Tactile Feeling
- Still has that "brand new smell" (not a compliment)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tyree
United States
Dayton
Ohio (OH)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm another one who has both versions, and I prefer the tiles for the ease of play. I find it is easier to note information by shifting the tiles than it is using cards in hand, but I admit sometimes it is fun to see the crazy card contortions lol.

Short list/comparison -
* I find both are OK as far as visibility.
* The card version may show wear a little faster, but the tile version will show wear after a while as well. Not enough for us to really notice, but after a long time, might be worse. I'm probably around 50 or so plays with the tiles and 1 has a scratch that if you look at it juuusssst right, you can see it. meh.
* msrp $10 vs msrp $50. If you want to try it out and aren't sure about the game, cards are a great way to decide if you like the concept.
* The card version wins on portability, though the tiles aren't a pain to transport. However, few things can beat a small deck of cards for literally being pocket sized.

The odd thing I've noticed is that while I've not had people say they disliked the game, some folks who were lukewarm when we played the card version raved about the tile one when I got them to try it again.

I'm with Chris, I've got both and love 'em but go with the card version first. It's a super cheap option to start and you can decide if you want to go bigger later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Gabriel
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll start out by saying I don't care for this game so my comment is only in regards to the mahjong style tiles vs cards.

A group of people where I work love this game and play often during lunch with the deluxe version. I think one of the main advantages of the tiles for them is they can play outside, windy or not, using one hand while eating wit the other. I personally love those style tiles and have Lectio mostly to use as other games when I can. So in conclusion if you don't plan on playing outside, don't care if you need both hands and don't covet the awesome tiles you may as well go with the cards. Personally if I liked the game and had the extra cash to spend I would go with the tiles just because I love those types of tiles for the feel, as eye candy and for the functionality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The deluxe version cost more and has that forever smell to it. In terms of playing though, Deluxe version >>> card version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Percival
Australia
Bendigo
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played both. While the Deluxe version costs considerably more, I feel it plays a lot better. The cards feel awkward to use (not looking at them and trying to show everyone else), while lining up the tiles feels more natural.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Pieces free-up a hand to play with my phone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go for the R&R deluxe version. The tiles in it aren't engraved, or so I hear, but they are much brighter than the German deluxe edition. The price for it online is quite affordable too.

The cards are fine but are likely to bend after a few plays if anyone has sweaty hands, as you have to hold them for long periods in big games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both, as this is one of my favorite games. I vastly prefer the tiles, but wind up playing with the cards most of the time--they are just more portable and easier to break out and set up. So I would probably recommend starting with the cards to make sure you like the game. The tiles are better IMHO, but the cards work perfectly well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ausemus
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found that Hanabi deluxe to be easier to play and looks alot better on the table. Enjoy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fortheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can afford it and expect to like the game I'd go with the deluxe version. Less awkward to play, easier to keep track of what people told you, nice tactile sensation, more attractive...

I have the card game already and don't really play it but I'm still tempted by the deluxe version on occasion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rahul Chandra
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like shuffling cards a lot more than shuffling tiles, and the small size of the card version means it's always in my game bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Jenkins
msg tools
badge
Me neither.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Y
msg tools
mb
I only have the card game, but I will just offer an opinion on the game.... I don't think it has much replay value. We played 2 games so far, and I don't think we will play again for at least a few months. I could see it getting very stale quickly.

But for $10, I guess it is fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.