Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NOTE:

As the thread title says, this was final beta. This expansion has since been finished. Here are some links to the finished items:

Background

As some of you know, I've been working on a fan-based expansion for Eldritch Horror for some time now. I believe it's just about finished, and this should be the final time showing it before putting all the files together and uploading them.

The concept behind this is that there is a dimension close to ours with surreal elements and physics that's threatening to break into ours and replace our reality with its own. It's based strongly on the works of Lewis Carroll.

Let me pause here for the standard disclaimer: it's based on the source materials, not any of the adaptations from his works, and definitely not the cotton-candy fluffy Disney cartoon. Alice in Wonderland may not be classic Lovecraft, true, but when Alice is listening to the Duchess brag about beating her child when it sneezes, while the air is saturated with pepper, and said child starts turning into a pig... it's got a suitably dark undertone, even if, overall, it's more surreal than horrific. Hey, it's not like Lovecraft never went for surreal, either.

The expansion requires all FFG expansions to date (Forsaken Lore, Mountains of Madness, Strange Remnants).

This Ancient One comes with a sideboard, and monsters for the sideboard, in addition to the usual stuff.

Contents

All pictures are designed, if you copy the original file, to be printed at 300 DPI. Cardstock is recommended for printing.

Spells(3 spells, 4 versions of each) These are purely optional. If used, you'll need to sleeve your spells. Print the new spells with front and back separately, then cut them out, and put them back-to-back inside the sleeves. The 2 layers of cardstock end up being about the same thickness and flexibility as FFG-produced cards. The spells have only received moderate playtesting, so use them at your own risk.

Characters (4 new, front and back each) These are also purely optional. They can be printed double-sided on a single page if desired. You will need to find miniatures or something else to use as investigator tokens. These characters have been playtested extensively.

Conditions 4 new versions each of Hallucinations, Funding, and Lost in Time and Space. These are somewhat optional, with funding and LiTaS being more optional than hallucinations. We found that we ran out of hallucinations conditions in a 6-player game with some regularity; also, the game gives a fair number of LiTaS and some Funding conditions.

Thematically, I really couldn't dodge including LiTaS, but I know that some people really, really dislike its inclusion in the game. The new LiTaS are designed to make the condition... maybe a hair less brutal, but also to provide a bit of variety and give some LiTaS with player choices. The additional funding conditions are a balance to the LiTaS, and to smooth out the power curve in the Funding cards.

If used, you'll need to sleeve the conditions, similar to the spells. I didn't provide artwork for the backs of the cards, so you'll need to do your own copying for that.

Artifacts 6 new artifacts. Having the new artifacts is not optional, but how you use them is. Either you can sleeve them, similar to conditions and spells, or you can skip sleeving them. If you don't sleeve them, treat them the way you treat some unique assets— bring them into play only when instructed by a card.

Ancient One Card front and back. Can be printed double-sided on a single page. Not optional, obviously.

Ancient One Mysteries (six). Also not optional. Can be sleeved using opaque sleeves, or can be set out and randomly selected when needed.

Wonderland Sideboard Rules for using this are in the next post.

Wonderland Monsters (12 regular, 1 epic) These should be cut out separately, then glued onto boxboard or foamboard. The back pieces are printed out in the same order as the front pieces. Rules for the monsters are in the next post.

There are no encounter cards made up yet. Encounters are available online at

This link should work on all computers and most tablets. I've not tested it on phones yet. Using it is fairly simple: to get an encounter, click on "research" or "location", then on the terrain type or the sideboard location.

The "special" button is for the Royalty Test special encounter deck. The "monster" button will randomly select one of the Wonderland monsters (see next post).

Later edit: the link will still work, but some cards have been made since then that have not been added to the online site, and I'm not sure if they will be added. The links at the top of this entry will take you to printable files you can use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sideboard special rules

Omen and the sideboard: Each space on the wonderland sideboard has an Omen symbol on it. Anything referring to the "Wonderland space matching the current Omen" indicates the space on the Wonderland sideboard that has the same symbol as the current omen. The Garden matches the first constellation symbol (the space that the omen advances to from green comet) and The Chessboard matches the second constellation symbol (the one after the red eclipse).

Effects and the sideboard: Player-generated effects (ones caused by abilities, spells, assets, and results of location encounters and conditions) cannot be used from one board to the other. So, for example:
* A player cannot use flesh ward on an investigator on the other board.
* Jacqueline fine cannot look at conditions gained by players on the other board.
* You can't use Tokyo to damage monsters on the Sideboard.

Monster and game generated effects (including Mythos cards) can cross the sideboard. So, for example:
* Mythos cards affect everyone, all the time.
* Reckoning effects from sideboard monsters will affect players on the main board, and vice versa.
* After defeating a goat spawn, you can gain a dark pact to discard a monster from the sideboard.

Special conditions:
* A player returning from Lost in Time and Space, if given a choice, may return on either board. If he doesn't have a return token on the main board, he will move to a random space any time he would move to his return token.
* Investigators on the opposite board do not count for any effects that look for proximity. So, for instance, a monster on the main board moving towards the nearest investigator doesn't count anyone on the sideboard. If all investigators are on the sideboard, it doesn't move at all.

Traveling to, from, and around the sideboard: To get to the sideboard, an investigator may either spend a clue, or discard a clue from the space he's on. Whenever an investigator moves to the sideboard, he should place a return token on the space he came from. (In the ideal world, this would be a picture of the investigator at reduced size. Sadly, the world isn't ideal, so we use focus tokens and just remember which token goes with which investigator.) He places a return token even if he moves to the sideboard in some manner other than using clues.

To leave the sideboard, an investigator on The Shore space may move to a random space and become delayed. If he does so, he doesn't return to the space with his return token (barring extreme luck), but does remove it from the board.

After any location or special encounter at The Castle (but not if the only encounters had there are monsters only), the investigator moves his character to the space with his return token and removes that token from the board.

The glowing blue line shows paths in the Wonderland sideboard. The sideboard spaces and paths are all considered "Wonderland", and characters may not use special abilities to gain bonus movement along them (such as Ursula, Silas, or Finn's abilities). Abilities that affect movement, independent of path type (such as Astral Travel) may be used to gain extra movement.

Defeated investigators, or investigators who have to move to a city space for any other reason, return to the space with their return token, and then move to the nearest city from there.

Spawning Wonderland Monsters: Wonderland Monsters are kept in a separate monster cup, and, unless the Ancient One awakens, never spawn on the main board.

Monsters spawn on the Wonderland Sideboard normally during monster surges. Whenever there is a monster surge, roll a die. If equal or under the number of investigators, spawn a monster on the Wonderland space matching the current omen. In a 7 or 8 player game, if you roll a 1 or 1-2, respectively, also spawn a monster on the opposite space on the board (that is, if omen is currently on green or red, you'll spawn a monster both those spaces if you spawn a second one. Or if the omen is on either blue space, you'll spawn a monster on both spaces.)

Because it's difficult to cut and glue the monsters perfectly, players who want can use a d12 to determine which monster is spawned instead of using random selection. Or, if using the online location encounters, there's a button that will pick one of the 12 monsters at random for you.

Wonderland Monsters and Doom: whenever omen advances, advance Doom by 1 for each monster on the sideboard space corresponding to the current omen.

Fighting Wonderland Monsters: Some Wonderland monsters don't have a numerical toughness rating, but have a skill symbol where the toughness is. In these cases, one of the combat tests will be the same as the skill showing in the toughness symbol. If you pass that combat test, the monster is defeated. If you don't pass the test, the monster is not defeated, and takes no damage. For example,

The first combat test with the unicorn is Lore -2. If you pass this test, the monster is defeated and you gain the special benefit for defeating this monster (improved influence). If you fail the lore test, you then do the strength test. During the strength test, you may take damage and an injury. But, even if you pass, no matter how good the result is, the unicorn will not take damage.

If a Wonderland Monster with a skill-based toughness is defeated, it counts as 0 toughness for purposes of any abilities or effects.

Also, as a note, be pay attention to what skill checks are being asked for. The tove, for instance, does sanity damage on a strength check and physical damage on a will check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Play by forum banners:

[imageid=2719518 medium]

[imageid=2719519 medium]

[imageid=2719520 medium]

[imageid=2719521 medium]

[imageid=2719522 medium]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you spot typos or anything minor, please send me a PM. If you have feedback about play balance, player enjoyment, or anything like that, I would love to hear it; please post in this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Prebble
United Kingdom
Herne Bay
Coastal Leisure Town
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is stunning, what fantastic work, many thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Astonishingly lovely presentation !

If the scenario plays HALF as well as it looks, it will be a winner !!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Alfredsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is amazing and awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Busby
United Kingdom
Southampton
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Looks incredible. And top hole for Bertram Wodehouse, Oofy and Bingo at the Drones will be most impressed old bean!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! I haven't looked over everything, but this looks pretty charming. Thanks for sharing!

EDIT: Anna Runningdeer seems a little too strong... she seems like a more versatile Daisy Walker who also starts with Plumb the Void (arguably one of the best spells in the game).

Love the concepts otherwise so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
soakman wrote:
EDIT: Anna Runningdeer seems a little too strong... she seems like a more versatile Daisy Walker who also starts with Plumb the Void (arguably one of the best spells in the game).

Our playtesting didn't find it that way. There are some similarities with her abilities and Daisy's, but Daisy's starting spell doesn't damage herself, usually (she's virtually never without a tome), and since her signature action is sitting back and taking it easy, she's rarely in danger of dying. Plus she can use tomes instead of spells, plus passively use any tomes that kick in during a rest action.

Anna, by contrast, starts with a spell that is usually painful to use, she only starts with a 3 lore, and she usually finds herself in the thick of things, getting banged up. So she can't use her abilities as often.

(FWIW, I won't promise beyond all measure that these characters are flawlessly balanced. After all, it's not like FFG puts out perfectly balanced characters, either, despite having organized beta testers. So if you play with her a few times and still think she's overpowered, go ahead an bring the subject back up. My playtesting went through a few iterations of her, about a dozen games in total, with her current incarnation having been designed about half a dozen games ago. During those last half-dozen games, we never had any game where she was the MVP of the game, but we also never had any games where we felt like she didn't contribute anything, either.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt C.
msg tools
mbmbmb
Just a nit-pick but it doesn't indicate Anna can only use her passive once per round, but I assume this is the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KohO wrote:
Just a nit-pick but it doesn't indicate Anna can only use her passive once per round, but I assume this is the case.

Whoops, yes. I fixed the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
With the skill based monsters (Caterpillar, Snark, Frog etc.), are they effectively immune to things like Shriveling or Dynamite, as they don't have toughness?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adelphophage wrote:
With the skill based monsters (Caterpillar, Snark, Frog etc.), are they effectively immune to things like Shriveling or Dynamite, as they don't have toughness?

Yes. They can be removed by effects that discard monsters, but in almost all cases, those effects have to be created by someone on the sideboard, as player-generated effects don't cross between the boards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if I'm "sold" on the artwork even though everything you've done looks brilliant (I had an edition of Alice/Looking Glass as a kid with those same illustrations) Guess I'm just used to the FFG style of artwork.

But the idea really does fit with the Mythos, and here's the proof: the Drabblecast episode "Mongoose"- a Lovecraftian future featuring a Cheshire Cat, Tove's, Raths, and maybe a Bandersnatch.

http://www.drabblecast.org/2010/07/03/drabblecast-170-mongoo...

This same author has done several great stories set in that same universe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thoth Amon wrote:
Not sure if I'm "sold" on the artwork even though everything you've done looks brilliant (I had an edition of Alice/Looking Glass as a kid with those same illustrations)

Honestly, I'm not sold on the artwork either. But, as this was going into a public area, I had to snag public domain/open license artwork, and the Tenniel artwork had a consistency that made it a practical basis for what I was doing. I mean, look at the monsters alone. I've got 13 of them, and they're supposed to be all on the odder side. Trying to track down 13 different pictures of odd and unusual creatures that would look like they belonged together, that I was allowed to use, just wasn't going to happen. As it was, I still had to fudge a bit here and there. The artwork for the rath, which is described by Carroll as being like a greenish pig, got taken from an illustration for the three little pigs story. The jub jub bird I don't recall precisely where I got it from (IIRC, it was actual art from one of the Carroll stories, just not by Tenniel), but the style doesn't match the rest.

On the plus side, sometimes the art helped me with the game effects. As I mentioned, the picture for the rath came from elsewhere, but the pig-in-a-tree art gave me the inspiration for his jumping-out-of-a-tree combat effect (IE, the observation test to avoid gaining an injury when you first encounter him).

But yes, the artwork could use some help. If anyone wants to create artwork for this expansion, and allow me (and by extension, Boardgamegeek) license to use this artwork, I will be happy to talk with you. (Note: this shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who does art on a regular basis, but please talk with me before you start making the art, unless you're doing it for the personal enjoyment.)

Quote:
But the idea really does fit with the Mythos, and here's the proof: the Drabblecast episode "Mongoose"- a Lovecraftian future featuring a Cheshire Cat, Tove's, Raths, and maybe a Bandersnatch.

http://www.drabblecast.org/2010/07/03/drabblecast-170-mongoo...

This same author has done several great stories set in that same universe.

Well, here's my take on how it fits into the mythos (incredibly mild spoilers for Under the Pyramids):

Spoiler (click to reveal)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.