Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: dungeoneer [+] [View All]
Nick
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mac and Me: When creature design forgets it's a kids movie.
mbmbmbmbmb
FLGS just got Dungeoneer: Tomb of the Lich Lord back in stock along with 4 or 5 of the expansions/stand alones.

The concept of the game as well as the execution, from what I've read is very appealing. I plan on picking up Lich Lord tomorrow, but am wondering if there are any of the other releases that are so good, I might as well grab them at the same time...or should I play through Lich Lord a few times to see if the game is really enjoyable before further investment.

I only ask, because I've seen with games like Carcassonne, had it not been purchased as a gift for a friend, I'd have easily bought the Big Box set right off the bat because what I played of the base game and one expansion impressed me so much I'd take the plunge on everything else.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
You should definately play it through before you invest in all the other expansions. The concept behind it (card based dungeon-crawl) and some of the mechanics (glory/peril and playing bad cards on your opponent) are pretty cool, but at the same time, the game is pretty simple. The combat is basically- roll a die and add a number. There is a little bit more to it than that, but that's basically it.

On the other hand though, you should be able to tell if you want to get more, after just a single game.

It is a kinda amusing game, but then if you're willing to spend a bit more money, Runebound is pretty similar but with a lot more depth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silverdragon
United States
Unspecified
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For my $.02, Dungeoneer is a great game, but there are a lot of people who would disagree with that. I also own and play Runebound, which is slightly deeper. Runebound's drawback for me is length of play. Our group will grab Dungeoneer over Runebound 50% of the time or more just because Dungeoneer is so much faster, probably about 30 minutes maximum with 2 players.

The previous post suggested buying only 1 set until you see if you like the system, which is probably a wise move. Some people are really disappointed in the game.

If you decide you like it, absolutely Vault of Fiends is a must have. My other favorite expansions include Dragons of the Forsaken Dessert, Realm of the Ice Witch for sure. The Den and Haunted Woods expansions are good because they are small decks, and we control length of game with them, we feel like a medium-length game. There are quests in the latter 2 expansions that are totally luck-based and make us crazy. We have since removed or changed them into other types of quests to our taste.

IMHO, the Epic expansion is tough. We did not really care for it much, but have tweaked our rules to make it work for us.

Happy Dungeoneering
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Leventhal
United States
Unspecified
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
I thought this game sounded great and picked it up a couple years back. I was just never able to get into it. It was a functional game, but just didn't do it for me where other dungeon crawlers do. I would play it first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Heaton
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy Dungeoneer, and think it plays best with about four players. I wasn't so sure after the first game, but I played it again and now find it to be a decent game.

It's advantages include being a relatively short game, and not needing a lot of room to play it. The quests are interesting, the first time you see them, but after that the surprise is gone (well duh!).

The biggest disadvantage is having to provide a bunch of stuff to play it properly. While you can cut up the cards to provide playing pieces, I don't recommend that. You need to provide dice, and more than the minimum one or two dice is a good thing. You need to provide some way to indicate hits on your character as well. A friend of mine has even gone so far as to provide miniatures, and it makes a difference.

Dungeoneer is a fun, and plays out in 30 minutes to and hour for four. It provides an adventure fix for those who don't have the time to play Runebound, a significantly better game. I'd give the game at least a "6".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KK Su
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definately try one deck before buying the others. In fact, this should be the rule of thumb for any games you intend to get into.

For my game group, we played it and it was a blast. Later, we added in some of the variant rules (hero re-spawn, pre-built dungeons, etc.) and now we won't play it any other way. I do recommend that if you are intending to play with only 2 players, try one of the single-decks (or split the double-deck into 2 single decks). It'll result in a smaller dungeon map, but it gives better game-play options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.