Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Pierce
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't part of the Kickstarter, but I have been following the game since it started shipping and picked up a 'retail' version from Noble Knight. I am calling it retail, as the box is much thinner than the first Kickstarter versions seen in unboxing videos on YouTube, and it is missing some of the templates and hallway tiles that shipped with the first Kickstarter versions as noted on various forums.

The first thing I noticed is that the box size is strange, not a standard dimension related to any other games in my collection and pretty unwieldy. It would be more expensive to ship and more prone to damage based on the density (it is quite heavy considering how thin and broad it is).

After reading the various forums related to the product changes, a couple things seem likely. One is that they decided they needed to reduce the weight/size of the box after the game was in production for whatever reason. Because the tile and token cutting dies were created (one of the more expensive parts of gearing up for a game production) for the particular width and depth of the box, the least expensive way to reduce it would have been in height - hence the strange dimension and reduced part count/tile thickness.

If correct, that seems to indicate that the game production progressed pretty far before someone realized that the cost/profit ratio wouldn't work, and that was adjusted. Just conjecture, but I could see that happening if someone didn't run the numbers properly early on.

Anyway, my impressions. The quality of the miniatures in the copy I have are nice, the material composition seems to hold a lot of detail and they are pretty delicate yet seem resilient.

The token stock is shockingly thin, and the tile stock is barely acceptable thickness. Any game from the larger game publishers like Fantasy Flight makes the tile and token thickness in the game look pretty pathetic. The overall value balancing the two should put it on par with a large box CMON or Fantasy Flight game, where I would expect to pay in the $75 retail range myself. If the card stock were higher quality, I could see it on par with something like Space Hulk at $125.

I am comfortable having paid full retail something between the two. Curiously, someone mentioned pre-orders from other US retailers but I am having trouble finding any at MM or CSI, so it will be interesting to see the trajectory of the game in the US as the Kickstarter fulfillment is completed. I might be even happier to have grabbed a copy while available...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Seattle
WASHINGTON
flag msg tools
mb
My biggest complaints are the active/sentry tokens. Those things are so tiny...I guess they fit nicely on the base..I am going to replace them.

Other than that I am enjoying the game and the minis. The thin ping and marker tokens dont bother me much. They are thick enough for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I missed out on the Kickstarter.but I ordered direct from Prodos the second the store went live.and I was extremely lucky to receive mine 4 days after release date.so I was one of the very first to get it!.and the early orders got the same core game as the KS so I must say that the tiles are very well made and a lot better than the FFG game tiles but it could be possible that they have cut the thickness slightly on the "revised" set along with less tiles and thinner packaging etc etc
the people I feel really sorry for are all the people who haven't even received their kickstarter stuff yet.but thats a different story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And knowing us KS backers will be getting the lesser quality/thinner board at this point pisses me off too, especially because it mans they sold our KS copies with the thicker board via retail.

Prodos is pathetic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damen Parker
Oman
Northampton
Muscat
flag msg tools
Trust me. You know it makes sense
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your thoughts Mark.

I'm still waiting for my KS copy so cannot comment on quality of components other than I read somewhere that the token thickness was reduced as they were de-laminating after several plays. Your logic however does make sense.

Presumably all the KS versions have been manufactured and its just incompetence in compiling the box contents and/or shipping that is still holding the game up. I cannot imaging two versions being manufactured at the same time.

Cheers
D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Creepy horrocks
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!! people receiving games direct from Prodos is outrageous. i really hope people are taking notice of this absolute BS from Prodos. Really peeved off seeing these comments. I'm tempted to order one to see if its beats my KS version. I can hardly sit down now after knowing that's how Prodos has treated us backers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Mitchell
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CreepyW3irdo wrote:
ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!! people receiving games direct from Prodos is outrageous. i really hope people are taking notice of this absolute BS from Prodos. Really peeved off seeing these comments. I'm tempted to order one to see if its beats my KS version. I can hardly sit down now after knowing that's how Prodos has treated us backers.

I'm sorry but did you just find this out now? Guess you don't want to hear about them selling the wave 2 stuff at conventions and to retail before backers then...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Creepy horrocks
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah i already commented about seeing it in a previous post last week

Is this really happening??? worst customer service ever.

in my opinion i feel like the treatment is "hay we got the KS money now we can sell to the retail market, worry about the backers later we got their money already"

I'm hoping my cards are at least wrapped in high quality rubber bands and not shoddy cheap ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Delval
Belgium
Sint-Genesius-Rode
Vlaams Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How is storage? I saw it at the local store and i'm tempted between this one and the Predator Deckbuilder

The oddly flat box does not inspire confidence for storing miniatures in a singular box. Is it reliable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darthvegeta800 wrote:
How is storage? I saw it at the local store and i'm tempted between this one and the Predator Deckbuilder

The oddly flat box does not inspire confidence for storing miniatures in a singular box. Is it reliable?

no problems with storage..ive got the original boxed set so extra bits in there up to the "new" version they are now rolling out.as for the figures these are kept in a separate sturdy box that they come in.no problems at all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Delval
Belgium
Sint-Genesius-Rode
Vlaams Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tootz wrote:
Darthvegeta800 wrote:

no problems with storage..ive got the original boxed set so extra bits in there up to the "new" version they are now rolling out.as for the figures these are kept in a separate sturdy box that they come in.no problems at all

What do you mean with 'new version'?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darthvegeta800 wrote:
tootz wrote:
Darthvegeta800 wrote:

What do you mean with 'new version'?

Prodos have started manufacturing a "lighter" version of the game to cut costs..the difference between the new/lighter version and the original one is.. a few less tiles. the distance marker rules have been dropped from the box.and the box is smaller and of lighter cardboard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
CreepyW3irdo wrote:
in my opinion i feel like the treatment is "hay we got the KS money now we can sell to the retail market, worry about the backers later we got their money already"

More like "spent" than "got", but, yep. When a project goes into cost overruns (or the creator uses backer shipping money for something else, like creating additional product for retail), they need more cash from somewhere, and that means they look towards -- and prioritize over backers -- retailers and pre-orders from their website for additional money.

Prodos isn't the only creator that does this, and expect it to happen more and more often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.