Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Kidsley
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Long Eaton, Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you a warm feeling inside everytime you play it.

Ive played many top rated games on here which while being good have left that dry feeling and have not got positive feedback from my co-players.

Ive realised that even the most highly rated game can fall flat on your gaming group and every new purchase, no matter how valued on BGG, is a gamble

For me its....

Around the World in 80 days http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/12005

For many reasons- its got good game mechanics, does not get boring because of the race theme and even if you are behind until the last moments you can still win, and its got all the bits and pieces and a nice board that tick all the boxes on presentation.
The fact that it plays in around 1 hour also helps my group

Heck, I even enjoy setting it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Twillight Imperium 3

Magnificent game... I think I have it rated 9, simply becuase there are a few minor issues. But truth be told it should maybe have a rating of 10 since I would always be ready for a game of TI3, and if we were 5-6 peopleI would prefere it over anything else.

War of the Ring

Also fantastic all round. The only downside, which is also kind of an upside( shake ) is that it's for two players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: YOUR Favourite Game- The one that pops your cork and giv
Power Grid.

It plays differently with different groups. With the group I play this most with there's table talk and a lot more bluffing in the auctions. Because we have played each other that often you find yourself playing the player at each part of the game.

I enjoy it with everyone but with a regular group brings the best out of it.

James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Qualey
United States
Odenton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I have to pick one, it's Carcassonne with River II, Inns & Cathedrals, Traders & Builders and King & Scout. It's different and exciting every time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wizard Kings has been my favorite game ever since I played it for the first time about a year ago. It has a little of my favorite things in a game: fantasy theme, combat, hex-side movement rules, personal/customized army building, and a strong chick army. I like that planning movement and building a solid army has such an impact on the game.

Some of my more recent favorites are Through the Desert and Hey! That's My Fish because of the abstract quality and the accessibility of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Bass
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Power Grid, far and away.

It doesn't get monotonous for me since there are so many different things happening every turn, and it is just long enough to give me time to devise a strategy and see it fully develop, giving me a feeling of accomplishment, but without being too long and wearing out its welcome.

Auctions, resource management, demand-driven commodities market, geographical network building... this game has it all! cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
while I won't say it's the best game i've ever played(that would be saved for Die Macher), Power Grid is a game I will always want to play. A close second for Age of Steam.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jody Ludwick
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The Downfall of Pompeji

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/13004

This game does it for me everytime!

I know a lot of it has to do with playing this game with my husband and our two boys (19 &13). Both boys go into South Park (Cartman & Stanley) character mode as they think out loud while meander through the streets of Pompeji...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(Mr.) Kim Beattie
United States
Rocklin
CA
flag msg tools
Embrace your inner geek!
badge
In Flanders fields the poppies blow Between the crosses, row on row, That mark our place; and in the sky The larks, still bravely singing, fly Scarce heard amid the guns below.
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently my favorite game is Combat Commander.

I think Around the World in Eighty Days is a very good game as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Preischel
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Lots of my favorites are listed already: Carcassonne with the listed expansions, Power Grid, my wife's listing would be Ticket to Ride: Europe, but for me I think it would still be Puerto Rico. Yeah, I know, how predictable. But I haven't played it 100 times or anything (yet) and we have a good number of people in our gaming group who like it, so there are different match-ups every time and different decisions to make every time. I have to say that Ra is quickly becoming a contender for this role though. I only recently discovered it and immediately had one of those, "Where have you been all my life?" moments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brain
United Kingdom
London, UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: YOUR Favourite Game- The one that pops your cork
Knizia's Lord of the Rings.
It's the only game I have rated a 10. Every time I look at my ratings and juggle them, I look at this and wonder if it still belongs there. And then I have another game of it and remember why.
Unfortunately, it is a very "fragile" game: the co-op aspect can be lost with an overdominant player, the fixed pattern of events can be learned (although both of the expansions help with that), and the thematic chrome is dangerously thin (although robust enough for me.)
Set against that are some of the most entertaining game sessions I have ever enjoyed, both with a regular group (the tuning the system allows is fantastic) and with complete strangers (who always do the most unexpected things.)
And the Gollum variant makes the Traitor version of Shadows over Camelot look positively ordinary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
This thread should be a Geeklist cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Broadhead
United States
Pueblo
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Goa
Leonardo
Wilderness War

DBM, nothing more intense, tactical, and enjoyable than a good 3.5 hour battle of nice looking anceints (more of a miniature game but still on a board).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joe quintana
United Kingdom
E Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AOS
POWERGRID

Now if only they could plug the AoS
Locos' into the Grid....PERFECTION!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robo Rally and Vampire:TES, both can accomodate a large number of players and the more the merrier.

Both have a fair amount of strategy, but bottom line, they're just damned fun to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Titan!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, it's SPI's old "Russian Civil War." What can I say, any game that lets you attack yourself and score points for it, and in such a way that it actually makes sense (sort of) from an historical context, has gotta be fun. Yeah, there are all sorts of quibbles with the game, but it plays quickly (usually over in 2-3 hours), is never the same because of the randomized start, and has all sorts of nasty rules for purges, assassinations, propaganda, executing the czar, the Imperial Russian gold reserves, etc... Just a total gas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Hoppe
Denmark
Frederiksberg
flag msg tools
The current moderation is unfair and one-sided...
badge
... So I am not supporting BGG in 2019
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there are a number of games I really, really like, but if I had to choose one, I guess it would have to be Titan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be cool if we could each designate one "favorite game" on this site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
cull wrote:

YES
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cull wrote:

We can in a way. My two favorite games are the only ones I rated a 10.

I assume if others do the same, the top games list reflects that.

Although personally, just because I'm hot on a new game, doesn't mean it's my favorite. Favorites are really ones that you pull out time and time again over a course of years, not just the last few months.

The guys who named Titan, for example, reflect that; any people naming BattleLore don't, at least in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Europe Engulfed

EE's length and complexity makes it difficult to get to the table, but whenever there is a weekend game and three or four folks, this is my first choice every time.

Recently, I've been playing Descent and DOOM and love them both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
I think we should be able to rate just ONE game an "11"...but just one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Foulk
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Empires In Arms

Extremely long, yes, but most of my favorite game moments have come during this game.

Now if they'd only complete the computer version...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
I think we should be able to rate just ONE game an "11"...but just one!

That almost works, and may be the easiest way to implement it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.