Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a timing question about Bell of Summoning, which has the ability: "Draw three cards from your Draw Deck and add one to your hand! Discard the others."

If there's not enough cards in your draw deck to draw the full amount of cards, obviously you reshuffle your discard pile to get a new draw deck. My question is: at what point exactly is Bell of Summoning added to your discard pile?
a) Do you add an artifact card to your discard pile immediately when playing it? If so, then there is a possibility you could re-draw it as part of the three cards in the event a reshuffle is needed, because it is included when reshuffling the discard pile.
b) Do you first resolve the effect of an artifact card in its entirety, and only then add it to your discard pile? If so, you'd first do the reshuffling and finish drawing, and then discard the Bell of Summoning.

In Dominion you keep all played cards and only put them in a discard pile at the very end of your turn, but Fantastiqa has cards being discarded more or less immediately when used. However the precise timing isn't stipulated for artifact cards, here's what the rules state about using them: "After you use an Artifact for a Free Action, place it in your Discard Pile."

The same timing question could be asked about Dozer’s Deranged Digging Stick, from the Audacious Artifacts expansion, which requires a player to draw 5 cards. Discarding this immediately in the case where reshuffling is required, means you do have a chance of re-drawing it and playing it again immediately, which can be quite powerful. But maybe this kind of good fortune is intended to be part of the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beazer
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a definitive answer, but I play it that you can't discard a card while its effect is incomplete. So, with Bell, you wouldn't discard it until you had finished drawing cards to complete its effect.

This adds some interesting choices, as shuffling at that point would ensure you don't see Bell again until after the next shuffle!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alf Seegert
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
EndersGame wrote:

a) Do you add an artifact card to your discard pile immediately when playing it? If so, then there is a possibility you could re-draw it as part of the three cards in the event a reshuffle is needed, because it is included when reshuffling the discard pile.

Yes, you add the card to your discard pile immediately, and you do have a (small) chance of redrawing the same card after reshuffling.

And YES, such strokes of good fortune (should they occur) are precisely the sort of strangeness that might happen in Fantastiqa!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.