Pizza Box Football» Forums » Variants

Subject: PBF Canadian Style? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Hales
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I am trying to think of ways off the top of my head to make the game feel more like the Canadian Football League..

the obvious basics:you would need a field that is 110 yards (get a hold of one somehow) and play with only 3 downs. (The end zones are 20 yards, if that matters)

kickoffs: instead of 15- 3 dice, use 20-3 dice (kickoffs are from the 35 yard line, and kickoffs are based on 55 yards+ on PBF.) returns are the same.

field goal attempts: The Field Goal post is right on the goal line.. so subtract 10 yards form whatever yard line you are on when you attempt the field goal. if the field goal is successful, the play is dead and award 3 points for the field goal. Now according to Canadian rules, the opposing team has an option of rather having the ball kicked off to them, or taking the ball and starting their drive at their own 35 yard line.

The "Rouge": any kickoff, punt, or missed field goal that reaches the end zone and is not returned out, scores 1 point for the kicking team, possession changes, and the opposition takes over at their own 35 yard line.. so, it is up to the recieving team to choose if they want to run it out, or concede the point to the other team and take over at the 35.

any punt that travels 40 yards is "live" for either team to recover: so the best way I can think of right now is if the punt travels the 40+ yards, and the return says "downed" re-roll the returned.. if it says "downed" again, it's a first down for the kicking team.. if the ball does not travel the 40 yards, the ball is simply downed the first time you roll "downed"

there are no fair catches in Canadian Football: so my best guess would just to be to ignore and re-roll them.

the biggest thing is to figure out how to return a missed field goal (and where the ball landed when it was missed). The fact that there is unlimited men in motion in the backfield, that has to give the offence (as they spell it in Canada), some type of advantage. If a Canadian expansion happens to come along, I am sure these advantages will automatically be a part of the team's offences.

and yes, we would need the 110 yard field.

There could be other things I am leaving out, but this was what I was able to put together with quick run throughs at
http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?module=page&id=2 and http://www.13thman.com/cflvsnfl.html

the clock rules are a little different too, for one there is a 3 minute warning instead of 2 minutes.

This is one of of the things I am fascinated with:.. football, various rules and acting them out on board games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Kennedy
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you missed one of the most important points -- the entire play calling chart needs to change. All the offensive play results are based on US football averages and assume 3 plays to get your 10 yards (assuming punt on 4th down). Canadian football only has 2 plays to get the 10 yards so the average yards/play needs to be much higher. (The wider field, extra man, and lots of offensive players in motion actually do result in more yards/play and a higher average score despite the fewer downs.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Jung
United States
Clinton Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tony1097 wrote:

any punt that travels 40 yards is "live" for either team to recover: so the best way I can think of right now is if the punt travels the 40+ yards, and the return says "downed" re-roll the returned.. if it says "downed" again, it's a first down for the kicking team.. if the ball does not travel the 40 yards, the ball is simply downed the first time you roll "downed"

Just a quick rule clarification: Only the kicker, or an onside player (*see below), can recover the ball on a live punt over 40 yards, not the entire kicking team. Anyone else on the kicking team who touches the ball before the receiving team touches the ball will get flagged with a no-yards penalty.

Of course, if the receiving team muffs the punt, anyone on the kicking team can recover it.

(*)An onside player is a player on the kicking team who is at or behind the yard mark at which the kicker was standing, at the moment the kicker kicked the ball. (That's pretty darn confusing, isn't it?)

Hope I got all that right....

Derek

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Hales
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
thelivekennedy wrote:
I think you missed one of the most important points -- the entire play calling chart needs to change. All the offensive play results are based on US football averages and assume 3 plays to get your 10 yards (assuming punt on 4th down). Canadian football only has 2 plays to get the 10 yards so the average yards/play needs to be much higher. (The wider field, extra man, and lots of offensive players in motion actually do result in more yards/play and a higher average score despite the fewer downs.)

yeah.. maybe it could be as simple as adding an extra modifier or something.. how do interception rates in the NFL and CFL compare? is there a noticeable difference?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Hales
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
okay, another idea off the top of my head that deals with the offense play charts. Basically, to gain this advantage Canadian offenses have, use your existing expansion charts and apply the "3" rating to your run, short pass, and long pass. if the defense gains the advantage, he will have the "1" advantage effect (where the lower of 2 dice gets added to the roll of one other die).

this is in no way been tested or scientific.. but these will sure to add an offensive advantage overall.

I dont want to give out a bunch of information on existing charts, in respect to the game's owner... but if you have expansion team charts.. apply the "3" and the "1"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And wouldn't it be more appropriately called "Tim Horton's Donut Box Football"? The football up there I can take or leave, but, man, those are some GOOD donuts and coffee!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Boone
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Reading your recent posts has been like dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.
mbmbmbmbmb
Beautiful silk CFL microbadges.... FOR EVERYONE!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.