New Salem» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Finally played for the first time...thoughts? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this with 4 others last night. There ended up being 2 witches (I was one of them and I ended up winning). This group (myself included) don't normally play/like social deduction games, largely due to bad experiences with a group of Resistance/Avalon players. With that being said, New Salem's gorgeous artwork caught my attention and I had to explore it further!

I have been reading some other posts here and judging by what others have wrote it sounds like there is a lot of Hope available at the end of the first round. On our case I think we had 4 Hope and 6 Despair. Ii ended up using 2 Hope for a confessions.

My first "comment"... it was stated by another player (puritan) who said he felt like he didn't have a whole lot of choice. He was given a lot of buildings with despair on it so he HAD to play them. The others agreed with this later on. Is this a valid point? Is there something that can be done to get around this?

In retrospect maybe we focused on trying to complete sets rather than aim to produce Hope. I think we managed 2 cleanses the entire game and a witch was put on trial. By the end of the game it seemed like the puritans really didn't have much chance to win. As I said though, we don't usually play these kinds of games and we were just learning New Salem.

Another "comment" a lot of people shared is that there didn't seem to be any clues as to who was playing what role especially after round 1. It seemed like guess work. We had no idea what we should be watching for.

Also, it seemed obvious that if a person grabbed a Pardon then they were likely a witch, so nobody wanted to cast suspicion on themselves. This seemed to make sense. Another dead giveaway would be a person who collects Hope from others and then uses it for another person (seems like a witchy move!)

I'm not writing this because I had a negative experience. I thought it was cool. Clearly I would need to play it more to form a better opinion so I would love it if people could share their comments and insight here. It would help me understand the game better so when I taught it next time I could give players a better idea as to what typically happens in a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you read other reviews and sessions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Puritans usually don't need to have lots of hope. They use there hope with others to put witches on trial. If someone diesnt want to share their hope when they only have 1 or 2 it may be because they are trying to save up for a pardon ( witch).

After round 1 can be a little early to determine who is a Puritan and who is a witch.

Concentrating on sets can lead to a lot of despair. You only more points than your fellow Puritan to win . Witches of course don't mind despair.

The first few times you play it is easier to win as a witch because players are learning the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i did read the other reviews. I wanted to share my initial experiences and get some feedback. When I go teach this game again I want to be able to explain things and give a bit more depth so people have at least some idea as to whats going on. I think the major issue for us is that we were all focusing on set collecting... thats the type of gamers we typically are. Obviously thats not the way to play this game though as we now know
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. Going for full sets all the time will put a lot despair in the game. This will of course make it easier for a witch to win. You need to be constantly using hope to get rid of despair. Anyone who doesn't should be thought of as a suspected witch. It's not 100% proof but......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.