Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Germany Beck doesn't feature on the Fulford map. The accompanying S&T magazine shows the forces deployed on either side of it and (today at least - I live in Fulford) it's not something you'd step over without noticing it.

Anyone know why it isn't represented?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Whyte
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The exact location of the battle is unknown (Only Symeon of Surham, writing a century later, names the location as Fulford; Snorri Sturluson, the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles and Florence of Worcester give it no name). There is a current tradition that the battle was fought across Germany Beck, but like many of the assumed "facts" of the 1066 campaign, there is no hard evidence for it, just (modern?) tradition, based on Snorri's mention 150 years later of a ditch. The Ango-Saxon Chronicles, Florence & Symeon do not mention a ditch. Beside those sources, see also Kelly Devries, "The Norwegian Invasion of England in 1066", Boydell Press, 2003 (who tends to follow Snorri). Overall, I felt the battle's location between the Ouse and a dyked morass was well established, but not that it was across Germany Beck. A judgement call, I admit. However the magazine artist added it to the map illustrations for the magazine article, hence the inconsistency.
But feel free to add an east-west stream halfway across the Fulford map, connecting dyke to Ouse, probably directly in front of the Anglo-Saxon setup line. Then you can experiment with the effect it would have had on the battle outcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.