Power Grid» Forums » Rules

Subject: Building from Boise to Cheyenne rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom McCarthy
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I have only played Power Grid once, using the USA board, and no one at the table had played the game before.

One question came up, and we couldn't see the answer in the rules. The question seemed straightforward enough.

The connection cost directly from Boise to Cheyenne is 24 Elektros. The connection costs from Boise to Billings is just 12 Elektros, and from Billings to Cheyenne is just 9 Elektros. All three cities are in the Northwest play area (purple).

Are there any conditions or setup that would force one to pay the Boise-Cheyenne connection costs, or would one always be able to choose the Boise-Billings-Cheyenne connection and pay the lower price?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How very odd.

I see no reason why you couldn't always take the lower cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Rutten
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
the spunk plus the bomb plus the pump plus the torture instrument times frankie equalling the bang is an exclusive piece of ZTT exploitation
badge
You don't need eyes to see, you need vision. (mj)
mbmbmbmbmb
Good catch after one play. I've played a lot of games on this map and never noticed this. But indeed I can think of no scenario where you would need to pay the higher costs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keck
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:
How very odd.

I see no reason why you couldn't always take the lower cost.

That is interesting. Maybe it's just there to punish the unobservant player, or an oversight?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hemsley
Italy
Desio
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this must be an error.

I think the spirit of the game is to have direct connections be cheaper than having to connect "through" another city. Oh well.

--James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Banks
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, this is a fairly well-known board error -- although, it has been some time since it was last mentioned.

Of course, you can build any way you want to

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is an oversight.
Along with the one on the german side of the board (Stuttgart - Mannheim - Saarbrücken)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been spotted before, and some players have been known to print out a nice "21" and stick it on that spot. There are a few places on the Germany side, especially, where it's equal cost to go "the long way", and on the US side, if all 3 relevant regions are in play, you can go from Cincinnati to Raleigh via Pittsburgh for $1 less than direct.

There's at least one like Boise-Cheyenne on the Benelux side of that one too... in the Red region, from Antwerpen to Brucci (? working off the crappy low-res image on the geek, I can't read clearly) via Gent (?) is a buck cheaper.

I don't think/recall there being any deals on Italy, France, or C. Europe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Werbaer wrote:
It is an oversight.
Along with the one on the german side of the board (Stuttgart - Mannheim - Saarbrücken)

That's not cheaper, and it requires 2 regions. It's 11 + 6 vs. 17. If you're going to mention that, you might as well bring up Dortmund to Koln via Essen AND Dusseldorf for the same cost either way. Now THAT is the long way around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McCarthy
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the quick responses. We were afraid there was some implied restriction on bypassing cities that we were unaware of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
InfoCynic wrote:
Werbaer wrote:
It is an oversight.
That's not cheaper, and it requires 2 regions. It's 11 + 6 vs. 17.

Seems like it got corrected at some time. It was 11 + 6 vs 21:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.