Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ran Carnelaine
United States
flag msg tools
badge
☆Free the winds☆
mbmbmbmbmb
There are several copies of this game available at my local B&N for $34.95. Not sure why there aren't any reviews for this yet? Is it just something that flew under the radar?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was an Essen release and should have just come out this week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Blackwell
United Kingdom
Saltdean
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was hoping to hear more this week, but it's as if no-one has bought it at Spiel.

At least I have a better idea of the price. Will probably be £35 when out in the UK!

M B

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn't find the game in Essen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
poifpoif wrote:
I couldn't find the game in Essen.

Well, here it is being demoed in the Mayfair booth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zippadeedoodah
Netherlands
Almere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was being sold in Essen by Mayfair. I bought a copy. They had quite a few. whistle
Now to get it to the table...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played the demo, but not a full game (and also not with the advanced modes) so take my comments with a grain of salt.

The theme is your typical deduction, find out who he murdere is, but the gameplay is far from that. It is a tile layong game. You have 3 tiles in your hand and each turn you add one tile to the board, the theme is awesome and very well done. You can see the relationship between the people depicted on the tiles. The gameplay did not feel very interesting to me (but it might still be, I did not play much). You tried to play a tile that got the most suspecion of any tile in play. It did not seem to me that there is a lot of forward planning (again, might be wrong). You do not knwo what the opponents havr and what they can play. The game board changes a lot between your turns I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ran Carnelaine
United States
flag msg tools
badge
☆Free the winds☆
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the info! Guess I'll just have to wait for people to get back from Essen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw it at my local B&N yesterday and picked up a copy. I figured as it's Mayfair, there won't be any more of a discount online than with using my B&N member card.

I haven't been able to play it yet, nor do I have any idea if it's any good... But I love the theme and genre, so I couldn't pass it up.

I'll look to play it later this week and will post initial thoughts.

Very surprised that this has little to no marketing/buzz given the theme, art, and the fact that it's solo-able. Hopefully that's not a sign that it's a dud.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Glassco
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
I wanted to say a little bit about the different sets of rules that come with the game. There are five sets of rules in the rulebook, plus the solitaire rules, so it's a little hefty.

Because of the way the game was marketed (in Barnes and Nobles, the PBS tie-in, the mystery theme), the thought was that a fair number of non-gamers might pick up the game. The basic game isn't tough for gamers, but for the sort of folks who think that Uno is a real brain-burner, it might be overwhelming. So we added three introductory scenarios that were designed to ease folks like that into the general rules.

I'm hoping that, when they taught the game at Essen, they were using Game #4, which is pretty much the Basic Game that does give some opportunities for planning and so forth. Game #5 is the same, but it adds some extra cards for more complexity and twists and turns, like a 2nd body or a character in disguise. It also adds a mechanism that is especially useful for five players, whereby, if the suspect that you were planning on putting forward has been knocked out of the running, you can jump on board and try to promote somebody's else's suspect so as to share in the credit.

Anyway, if anybody wants to write a review, I hope they'll use scenarios 4 or 5. Also, if you're a gamer and you buy the game, you can skip 2 and 3 and go straight to 4. (The rules mention this.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ran Carnelaine
United States
flag msg tools
badge
☆Free the winds☆
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, that's interesting -- thanks for sharing that bit of info! I didn't know there were so many tiers of complexity to the game. I hope people will review rule sets #4 & #5 as well. ^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just broke open the game tonight. The pastel bits -- yikes! Happy Easter! I'm missing a pink interview cube, so I've emailed Mayfair for a replacement.

I appreciate the various game modes after reading the rules. It's basically an abstract tile placement game at heart - with increasing strategy with the later game modes. It will likely see some play with non-gamers using the first two modes - the family members that like Clue and PBS Mystery will definitely enjoy it. Once I've been able to try out the "full" game modes, I'll report back in. I'm always looking for good solo games that are this length, so I'm hoping that mode is enjoyable. For now, I'll patiently await my pink cube...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.