Risk» Forums » Rules

Subject: A couple of risk rules questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Where's The Board?
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've owned an old 60s version of Risk for a long time and occasionally play it with the wife and daughter. But this week I saw a newer version in a charity shop in great condition so couldn't resist it.

This is my old 60s version

And this is the 1992 version that I bought

The 92 version had mission cards which I'd never played before but it was fun enough and the board was a lot bigger but there were two things I noticed that were different so I was wondering if these new rules were now the standard.

First, the rules said the defender can only roll one dice if they have less than 3 troops on the territory. I thought a defender could roll two dice if they had two troops?

Second, there was no link between Middle East & East Africa.

This is the 60s board...

And this is the board from the 92 game...

So are those the rules now in the latest versions of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James P. E. Reynolds
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They were. The rules were revised again in 1999 and again in 2008 with the Revised Edition becoming the new standard.

There is no missing connection. The two countries are so close in the '92 map that they are basically adjacent. The is implied.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Where's The Board?
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks James.

The thing that made it confusing was the removing of the dotted line altogether yet the Middle East is touching Southern Europe and they've went to the bother of still adding a dotted line for that.

We played by the old rules anyway. I just found it strange.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.