17 Posts

Secrets of the Lost Tomb» Forums » General

Subject: solo play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just saw this kickstarter and was thinking of picking it up since it sounds like the game is ready to go and would ship next month. I have a few basic questions....

I would be primarily be using for solo play--how fun is the solo play?

I see that there are 2 basic ways to play solo-with the super powered up single character and playing multiple characters. I like the idea of playing one character and saw in an older thread that in the original kickstarter there was a specific character designed for solo play--is that still the case? How does solo play with a single character feel? Does it seem odd to have so many actions during your turn?

I prefer to play 1 character, but don't mind playing multiple characters if it is manageable. How difficult is it to manage multiple characters in this game when playing solo?

I have read some concerns about how long it takes to play the game. How long does it take to play it solo? Is it quicker?

Is there good replay value in just the core game? Can scenarios be played multiple times or are they more like puzzles and once you figure them out they are not fun to play anymore?

Finally, about how much table space would I need to play this?

All input is appreciated and thanks in advance for helping me to decide before the kickstarter ends!

Have a great day!

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Prass
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

I think, Solo is quicker, because you read things on your own and you don't have to talk about your actions. So the coordination between the players drops. Saves time.

Replay is quite good. There are no riddles you have to solve. It's all about finding scenario triggers (special rooms with symbols) to bring the story forward. You shuffle the Room tile deck for each game, so each game differs. You draw enemy creature and you draw Tomb Cards, that's also different each game. Sometimes you have luck and it good be easy, only easy creatures and good adventures or it's hard, with lot of elite enemies and misadventures. Well, and all checks are dice based, so everything can change depending on your roll results. I played the first scenario three times by now. With the same players but different adventurers. You don't read all the scenario story after some games, but it's still fun to play the same scenario with different adventurers, different skills and different inventory. I think the replayability is given.

How long to play depends on the scenarios. There is an estimated playing time for each scenario, from 60, over 90, 120 to 180 minutes. The first games need more time to learn the mechanics. But you can choose a faster scenario if you haven't that much time today.

Our table was full yesterday, with using all the room tiles. Think round about 1 meter to 1.5 meter. Only the room tiles from the core game.

With two players each has 6 Actions, with three players each has 4 actions, but if you play solo, you have all the actions, no matter if one, two or three adventurers. I think it doesn't matter. But it shouldn't be difficult to manage more characters. They have Action Tokens, you see who already did something. With more characters the game is a little bit more difficult in my opinion, because the Bonus Token and Items spread to the adventurers and not end up to one character and make him overpowered.

Just some impressions from my games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Batarlis
United States
Springfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Timo did a great job explaining above!

One quick thing to add is to note that solo play gives you an extra action (13) and 5 companion cards to start the game
This makes you very Epic while playing and gives lots of extra power...however,this is all tweekable so later if you want to play it harder you can chang these as you wish ...less companions (they give special abilities and health totals you can redirect damage to...)

Or less actions...or play with 2 characters and 6 actions each...etc...

There are many solo options and the game does indeed work great solo!

I should know...I've played it 1000s of times solo hahaha

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both of my plays were solo and I enjoyed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Buman
United States
Harlan
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
Both of my plays were solo and I enjoyed it.

Did you play with the solo character or several different characters that you controlled?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Several different characters.

I know some people that are interested in playing but we have not been able to schedule game time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for all the replies and insights! Seems to be a really great community surrounding this game! Martin how long did your solo plays take?

Also, could anyone tell me the dimensions of the box and if there is room in the core box for miniatures and potential expansions? Shelf space storage is a real issue for me and I need to plan ahead when ordering games.

Thanks and have a great day!

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a big box. I do not know the dimensions, but it is longer than most.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Prass
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Core box is quite large, all the expansions fit into it.
Not all minis in their boxes will fit, maybe two or three.
Don't have all the stuff here, half of it is still in my other home. Have to bring it next weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can fit everything in the base game box if you repackage the minis. I put all boss minis in one of the expansion boxes, and all adventurer minis in the original minis box (with a bubble wrap insert). Both boxes fit in the base game box with all of the other stuff, including expansion tiles and cards.

I've played the game solo multiple ways: with the special solo character, two normal characters and a single "Special Ops" character. All methods worked well. I personally wouldn't try to play solo with 3+ characters, as I think it would be too hard for me to manage all of their special abilities, companions and item cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Batarlis
United States
Springfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrPanic wrote:
The Core box is quite large, all the expansions fit into it.
Not all minis in their boxes will fit, maybe two or three.
Don't have all the stuff here, half of it is still in my other home. Have to bring it next weekend.

Here's someone who fit EVERYTHING into the core... (without special Inserts)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153563638369694&se...

pic on Facebook!

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, turning the inserts over is usually a good trick for most games. It works especially well if the map is made up of tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Batarlis
United States
Springfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
Yeah, turning the inserts over is usually a good trick for most games. It works especially well if the map is made up of tiles.

Indeed!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I took a leap of faith and pulled the trigger! I will need to find room for it in my limited gaming shelf area. I am hopefull that playing solo will go (after I know the rules) faster than a multiplayer game and perhaps certain scenarios will better lend themselves to a quick solo experience over others? I like the idea of playing with 1 character but him having 13 actions per turn seems a bit odd (are there things that could interrupt his actions/) I will have to figure it out and hopefully this proves to be a good purchase for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Batarlis
United States
Springfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
michael4928 wrote:
Well, I took a leap of faith and pulled the trigger! I will need to find room for it in my limited gaming shelf area. I am hopefull that playing solo will go (after I know the rules) faster than a multiplayer game and perhaps certain scenarios will better lend themselves to a quick solo experience over others? I like the idea of playing with 1 character but him having 13 actions per turn seems a bit odd (are there things that could interrupt his actions/) I will have to figure it out and hopefully this proves to be a good purchase for me.

It's all about the phases of the game regarding Solo play. So basically it would be 12-13 actions whether or not you play with the Solo character or if you play with more than 1 character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Chris! So in solo play I will always get 12-13 actions and then the tomb takes it turn? It is just a matter of whether those 12-13 actions are divided among a diverse party of adventures or 1 Rambo like guy? At the beginning of the game is there enough things to do to take 12-13 actions with one single character?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Batarlis
United States
Springfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep! (I'm a huge rambo fan by the way LOL)

You'll be exploring and doing other awesome things like crazy! There's tons to do! Finding new tiles, searching for items, fighting stuff.... yeah.. dealing with Traps and Story Cards and of course... the Scenario Triggers and Objectives! Every action is VERY important!

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.