Subject: Solo Rules (painted goblin) anyone playtesting please?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I noticed that painted goblin has put time and effort into solo rules and they have been completely overhauled and updated this very month! But on my browser, they still sit on page two of "files" and thus pretty much out of sight to many.

So firstly I wanted to say "hey folks look at these" and secondly, to as the community how these solo rules stand up under playtesting please?
Be great to get some peoples opinions so that we can see if this will be the viable solo option for this game. I know there looks to be a popular French solo version, but without translation thats a difficult option.

So, be nice to give painted goblins version some publicity, some testing, and then either praise or constructive-suggestions

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Alton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Paper 'Mech - winner 'Best Overall Design' in the 2016 1-page PNP Contest
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the kind words

The rulkes have been downloaded several hundred times, so I'm assuming there are plenty of folks out there using them.

As the designer I've tested them myself (obviously!) and can only say they still need some work. They do provide a great start and your AI opponent can put up quite a decent scrap.

However, I still find myself over-riding the AI every now and then when it makes an out-and-out rubbish decision. As long as you're happy to do that, they provide a challenge. I wanted to avoid a heavy set of instructions that catered for every possible situation - too much work for the player to run.

I'm biased, of course whistle, and welcome anyone to test them and provide feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great thanks for the info.
If I get the game I would play 99% solo, so need to know solo versions work good enough before buying even if it means the game seems a different game, as long as it works good its ok.
Just needs to stand as a game in itself, not just a deck tester

Grateful to you for your work on creating a solo option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Soanka
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been testing the solo player rules out for quite awhile now and the one thing I am adding in is the onset of a "General" type of unit (actually a single Unique character that meshes well with a Warlord). I was inspired to do this once I received the Tyranids big box and really enjoyed the mechanics of their "Synapse Creature" mechanic. I just need to play more games and balance the "villain" decks and then I can begin testing this format as a 2 player co op game with the players taking 1 turn together, but limiting each planet to having 1 Warlord and maybe even sharing resources, etc.

I'm thinking of maybe trying to do a "Two Headed Giant" format (like in Magic the Gathering) when testing this co op version. I'll see if I can post more feed back later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.