11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Which Star Wars Game for 9 year old gamer kid? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tamidor Winddancer
msg tools
Hi everybody,

my 9 year old son is "of course" a big Star Wars fan and I am looking for Star Wars game for him.
We play a lot of games and he does quite well playing Galaxy Trucker, Legends of Andor or Wild Life (I know it´s old and dry but he loves it).
So what may I get him?
Imperial Assault would be the choice for me, but I am worried it is too complicated for him. Also his younger brother (7) might want to play with us. But maybe with a semi coop he can get help from older players.

On the otherhand I might just overlook some obvious choices.

Any idea from the crowd?

Thanks in advance
Tamidor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Troth
United Kingdom
Leicester
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
If a miniatures game isn't out of scope then I think Star Wars: X-Wing would be a good option.

There is the risk that it could turn out pretty expensive if you or your son really wanted to collect everything there is to this game, but the core set is a nice little 2 player game.

Your 9 year old boy could probably get to grips with the game pretty quickly and you can use more basic rules if your 7 year old wants to occasionally have a crack at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Risk: Star Wars Edition is not actually Risk, but a card-driven game on three "arenas" of Return of the Jedi, more akin to the old "Star Wars: Queen's Gambit" game. Do wait for the "Black Edition" though since that has miniatures for the Millennium Falcon and the Imperial Destroyer instead of the cardboard pieces you get in the "standard" edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Strickland
United States
The Woodlands
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lampeter
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I hesitate to bother recommending Star Wars: Epic Duels because I just looked it up on Ebay and the prices for this OOP game are kind of insane. However, it has cool little miniatures and would be easy for a 9 and 7 year old to play without adult help. It also has enough variety and tactical decision-making to keep my husband and I amused. A great light duel game, if you can find it.

Of course, there are so many new Star Wars games out there that you are bound to find something more accessible. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
While primarily used for killing vampires, a wooden stake to the heart is also highly effective against most other opponents.
badge
Everybody wants to be a Game Designer but nobody wants to be a Game Designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Risk: Star Wars Edition is the only one I can recommend that is also affordable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth van Doorn
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get him Imperial Assault.

Kids are good at figuring out systems. They have tons of free time. If he's motivated by a passion for Star Wars he will get past whatever challenges it might initially pose.

I have 9yos and would not hesitate to give it to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Imperial Assault

I've played Descent with my 10-year old nephew with no problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lewis
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
+1 to X-Wing. I think it has a lot more of that "Star Wars" feel to it than Imperial Assault.

You might also want to look at that collectible hex based game Star Wars Galactic Connexions, made by Topps, being sold at Walmart. http://www.topps.com/galacticconnexions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If your kid can handle Galaxy Trucker and Legend of Andor, there is really no Star Wars game beyond him, so it is a matter of whether he prefers ground tactics (Imperial Assault), or spaceships (xwing for small ship dogfights or Armada for capital ship battles)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Buchanan
msg tools
As a father of an eight year old that owns Imperial Assault, the new Risk, about 200 bucks of XWing, and an Armada base set....

Get the new Risk. It's not Risk. XWing is a close second but his attention span isn't there yet.

IA and Armada he just does not enjoy very much.

The ability to set up, play, and clean up Risk in 30-40 min is just great
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.