Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Forster
United States
Pleasant Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning" - Dr. Reiner Knizia
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, it's about time we had a Here I Stand microbadge on BGG! Am I right?

I've taken a few cracks at creating one, but I'd really like everybody's help and suggestions. Remember, these are only preliminary and new ideas are welcome.

I tried to use something close to the color of the HIS cover as the background in some of them (in case you're wondering about the color choice).

I've numbered them all for easy reference.

OK, this is just the famous picture of Martin Luther (the same one the Luther debater and reformer pieces were based on):

Here's an attempt to superimpose a Bible (representing Protestantism) and a eucharist cup (representing Catholicism):

In this version, the two are juxtaposed rather than superimposed:

Oh, my goodness! Someone has nailed 95 Theses to the church door!

In this one, Luther and Pope Leo have decided to settle their differences through a staring contest:

Here, Leo has called in expert starer Cardinal Cajetan to stare down Luther:

And here, Luther and Eck resolve the Leipzig Debate (or the Diet of Worms, if you prefer) via staring contest:

Thoughts? Suggestions? I'm wide open!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
. . . or just let me nibble your soul . . . .
badge
Electra Bellum. Electra Gloriosum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Your first suggestion is the most handsome. Throwing out visual asthetics, I enjoy your staring-contest series!

GOOD LUCK!

KJ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Forster
United States
Pleasant Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning" - Dr. Reiner Knizia
mbmbmbmbmb
After posting the above images, I had a flash of inspiration:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
. . . or just let me nibble your soul . . . .
badge
Electra Bellum. Electra Gloriosum.
mbmbmbmbmb
One more little thing. . . if I'm not mistaken, wasn't Martin Luther an extremely tall man? I have no idea about the height of Eck and Leo . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Elliott
United States
Irvine
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You read my mind!!! I was just about to design a microbadge identical to #1. I would buy that in a heartbeat. The other ones are cool, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Forster
United States
Pleasant Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I pretty much figured #1 would be the winner. My concern about it was whether it would be recognizable when shrunk down to 16 pixels square. After I did it, I thought it looked pretty good, but I wanted to see if anyone else thought so.

I'll still wait for other votes before submitting it. What do people think of the pitchfork idea (#11)? I think it would be funny, but it would be sort of an inside joke since you'd have to have played the game to know what it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
mbmbmbmbmb
1 is the best. I'd buy one, when I have enough gg, but i would want one that wasn't overlty christian/catholic if possible (love to have an ottoman one). Not a big issue, just a preference. Great idea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Elliott
United States
Irvine
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I like #1 because it kills two birds with one stone for me--I love 'Here I Stand' AND I love Luther!! (I'm a Lutheran vicar.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Heaney
United States
Quincy
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm agnostic, haven't played the game yet, but have read the rules (twice), and I love the Luther microbadge! (The first one -- a classic look.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Kleve
Norway
Bodoe
Nordland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, Greg, couldn't you have come up with this post a few days ago! I just bought myself a microbadge of Twilight Struggle (not that I regret, but ...), but would definitely have reconsidered if I new there were a HIS badge out there.

No 1 is best for general recognisability. But the 95 Theses no 4 and the staring contests are the most fun. So I'll vote for 95 Theses. Why go for recognisability? This is for people in the know, the cool people, the people that matters. If you don't know what it stands for, just move along.
Next we'll need a secret handshake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Kleve
Norway
Bodoe
Nordland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy the way, do any of you know how I get the microbadge I bought a few days ago, to show? When I go to my own profile page, it says that I own the TS micro Badge. But it doesn't seem to show when I post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L. Scott Johnson
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go to My Geek -> Profile -> Edit Microbadges (the fourth choice at the bottom of the "User Profile for " block).

Then select one of the five microbadge slots (the blank squares) to fill. Then elect the microbadge you want to show in that slot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Beach
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Karl: To get your microbadge to display, go to your Profile. Then select "Edit Microbadges". At the top of the screen you'll see "Edit Microbadge Slots" and five squares the size of a microbadge. Click on one of those to choose which one is displayed.

By the way, I love these microbadge ideas. Why do we need to stick to just 1 microbadge for HIS? How about #1, #4, and one of the staring contests!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Kleve
Norway
Bodoe
Nordland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, Ed and Scott. Now I got it. And I'll just wait for the HIS microbadges to come online. As Ed says, why have one if you can have several. One is good, more is better. I like Winnie the Poh-philosophy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Forster
United States
Pleasant Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ed Beach wrote:
Karl: To get your microbadge to display, go to your Profile. Then select "Edit Microbadges". At the top of the screen you'll see "Edit Microbadge Slots" and five squares the size of a microbadge. Click on one of those to choose which one is displayed.

By the way, I love these microbadge ideas. Why do we need to stick to just 1 microbadge for HIS? How about #1, #4, and one of the staring contests!

I thought about submitting multiple ones, too. I was a little wary of submitting too many, though, because the guy who approves microbadges says that he only approves multiple ones for popular subjects. However, that rule doesn't appear to be consistently applied, and HIS can certainly claim to be a popular game even before anyone buys a microbadge.

Here's a thought: if we end up with multiple ones, wouldn't it be great to have one for each power? But I doubt I can get the admin to approve six microbadges all at once. So why not submit just one or two, let lots of people buy it, and then (once we've established that HIS is a popular microbadge choice) submit six power-specific ones?

Obviously #1 is the most popular. Should we stick with just that? There seem to be several votes for #4, but also some support for one of the staring contest ones. Which do you guys prefer, if you have to choose? And which of the staring contests do you prefer - and should we try a different background color, or make the background transparent?

White background:

My efforts to set the background to "transparent" have so far failed. I can get the icon-maker software to make it transparent, but then when I open the icon and resave it as a GIF, the background is set to black. The icon-maker itself can't save it as a GIF directly. Suggestions?

Also, does nobody else find the unrest one (#11) as funny as I do? I know my sense of humor is idiosyncratic, but I didn't think it was that idiosyncratic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Beach
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Greg: I do like #11 too (unrest). I borrowed that representation of Unrest from SPI's old Empires of the Middle Ages game. Somehow that was always the ONLY good way to graphically show unrest, especially when it is good old-fashioned peasant revolts.

One last thought ... you could really get into the HIS debating theme and have a microbadge that shows flames arising from a stack of wood. I'm not sure if you could make that recognizable at this size though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Forster
United States
Pleasant Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right . . . flames arising from a stack of "wood." Because it would really, really go over well if we had a microbadge of flames arising from a stack of books, wouldn't it?

How about a microbadge of Tyndale getting burned at the stake? That would go over even better!

Voting is still open:

1) Submit just #1, Luther. Submitting just one gives us maximum chances of getting an additional six icons (representing the six powers) approved later.

2) Submit #1 and #4, the 95 Theses.

3) Submit #1 and one of the staring contests (in which case please indicate which one, and any thoughts about the background color).

4) Submit #1 and #11, the plows and pitchforks.

Just to whet your appetite, I have drawn up two sets of icons representing the six powers.

Set #1 - famous faces:

Ottoman (Suleiman)

Hapsburg (Charles)

England (Henry)

France (Francis)

Papacy (Leo - we could also do Paul III if someone posts the image)

Protestant (Calvin, since Luther is already taken, and since Calvin is way cooler than Luther anyway )

Set #2 - heraldry

Ottoman

Hapsburg

England

France

Papacy

Protestant

The rulers are, in my opinion, a lot more fun, would really stand out as classy and cool in contrast to the sometimes-cheesy icons of other games, and would complement the main Luther icon. The hearaldry, on the other hand, might be more easily recognizable, and would create a contrast with the main Luther icon. Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Elliott
United States
Irvine
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My vote: Option 3

#1 Luther
#8 Staring contest with Pope (white or transparent background)

#9 is also cool

Also, I like the first set--the 6 leaders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MYOB MYOB
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
#1. Martin Luther is the icon, much as the 95 Theses has handshake value and the staring contest has fun value. (In particular: The staring contest is just way too small to show well.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wow...love the famous faces and the faction control counters... also luther is great. My vote is to do luther and then submit faction ones and famous faces.

Ps. the one for the papacy isn't right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Forster
United States
Pleasant Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ibn_ul_khattab wrote:
Ps. the one for the papacy isn't right.

You are so right! I guess it was inevitable I would goof one of them up. It's fixed now.

My own vote is also to submit only Luther. He just looks so much better than the homemade ones.

So far that makes it three votes for just Luther versus three votes for Luther plus another badge. I'll leave this up a few more days to see whether opinion moves decisively in one direction or the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Buj
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
#1 is the best microbadge...easier to recognize Luther.
How can i do to "buy" a microbadge?!
Bye!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Forster
United States
Pleasant Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To buy a microbadge you will need to spend 15 Geek Gold.

Open your profile page and find the box that says "User Profile for Alberto Buj." It is on the left, underneath the box that says "BoardGameGeek Preferences." At the bottom of the "User Profile" box you will see a row of links that say "Buy Avatar," "Buy GeekBadge," and so on. Click on the link that says "Buy Microbadges."

You will get a list of microbadges you can buy. There's a problem with the website, though, so in order to see the microbadges you have to click the link at the top that says "Expand All." Then you should see them. Click on the microbadge you want to buy.

But wait! You're not done.

Now you own the microbadge, but you aren't displaying it yet. To display it, open your profile page again and look again at the row of links at the bottom of the "User Profile" box. This time click on the link that says "Edit Microbadges." A new page will open, and at the top you will see a row of five empty boxes. Click on one of the boxes. A new display will appear with your microbadge. Click on your microbadge. Now that microbadge will be displayed below your name on BoardGameGeek.

Simple, huh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Forster
United States
Pleasant Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My fellow Here I Standers, the Luther microbadge has been submitted, along with a few other creations of mine (two James Bond badges and two badges for my two alma maters). Click here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1285431#1285431

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Forster
United States
Pleasant Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
. . . and now it's an official microbadge! How does it look?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.