Subject: My home made solo variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James To My Friends
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like Royal Goods and the player interaction is very low on it. So although the box says 2 - 4 players I think the game is very solo-able. Here's what I've been doing.

Set Up
- Randomly select 2 assistants for the game (instead of the usual 4/6/8)

At the beginning of each round
- Before giving yourself 2 cards take the top card from the deck. Do not look at it. Place this card face down to form a separate "timer" deck. At the end of the game each card in this deck will be -2 points (do not count the points on the face of the card).

I think this way you'll get a par score of 0. So anything over par is how well you have done. I went for this because most of the building cards are worth 2 points and you are aiming to build 1 building per round. So going slower will penalize you, meanwhile going for the expensive buildings and assistants will take you past the par score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob van Dalen
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting

Played the game for the first time yesterday, and I was also thinking of trying it solo. I like the concept of the timer deck, I will definitely give this a try!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Pfister
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your variant!
I see the following danger: If you on average make more than 10 money per round in the end, this equals more than 2 VPs. In this case you won't want to stop the game and build your eigth building. You want to continue for ever.

So maybe the Port-Royal Expansion principle would work: At the begining of the game you make a time-pile of say 11 cards. The first card of the round is taken from this time pile. If the time pile is empty, you are finished, i.e. the game takes 11 rounds.

However I like your idea of being around 0 points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James To My Friends
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking of the normal game end, play until you have 8 buildings in front of you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Pfister
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
voynitsky wrote:
I was thinking of the normal game end, play until you have 8 buildings in front of you.

You are not forced to build. You can stay at 7 buildings as long as you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Jäger
Germany
flag msg tools
I was thinking of the exact thing after playing a few games with my wife! A combination of your and Alexander's approach could work well:

Have 11 timer cards and reveal 1 card at the end of each turn. At the end of the game, each revealed card will reduce your score by 2.

If you play fast and finish early (by going for cheap buildings), the timer malus will be small, simulating that the "imaginatory other player" could not build many buildings during that time. 11 cards for the timer also sounds right to me - all of our games ended with 20-25 points so far.

I would use 3 assistants instead of 2. I found it sometimes a bit difficult to get assistants, at least in the 2 player game. Also, I find having assistants makes the game much more fun, since there are more opportunities to pull off production chains.

By the way, this is a really nice game! Good work, Alexander!

P.S.: I need to try this now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mesa
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
I'm surprised there wasn't a solo variant included in the box, since this game has virtually zero player interaction and it riffs off Uwe's harvest trilogy which do have solo modes. There's really no reason why you can't just play it by yourself and try to get a high score, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Combining a lot of the suggestions here, this is what I tried several times tonight (and found it quite enjoyable):
Quote:
Changes to Setup: Use 1 worker, 3 random assistants (but you may only hire 2 still), and a random Charburner. The other 5 assistants, 3 charburners, and 3 workers will provide a "timer" pile of 11 cards.

Changes to Gameplay: At the start of each round, return 1 card from the timer pile to the game box. If you ever have 8 buildings in front of you, you will finish the current round and then play one more round. Otherwise, the game will end at the end of the 11th round (when all of the timer cards are in the box). There are 3 assistant available to hire, but you may only hire 2 of them throughout the game.

Scoring: For each timer card in the game box, subtract 2 points from your score.

I am honestly not so sure the -2 scoring penalty per timer card is really worth considering since I ended up playing 11 rounds every game tonight, but it might be the case that it is better sometimes to try to end the game in only 9 rounds instead of 11.

I really like using the unused assistants, charburners, and workers to form the timer deck since it maintains the resource balance of the main deck and does not remove any buildings from the game. I also quite like having 3 assistants available to hire (but only being able to hire 2 to keep things a bit tight still).

For those who might be interested, I think my best score was 7 points (29 points - 22 points for the timer deck).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Shadrix
United States
Athens
GA - Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joel-

I tried out your variant. I liked it. My best score was 5. I played all 11 rounds as well, but I too could have ended it early.

Truthfully, I don't think I would ever end it early. It's too much fun pushing my luck and seeing my engine run the last round be it the windows manufacturer or putting soles on some shoes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Avery
Canada
Kamloops
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I quite like this as a solo game, and 11 rounds is perfect, since there are 11 cards left over after setup.

My high score so far is 30 (or 8 if we are doing the -2pt/rd thing). I have yet to try a serious chain strategy though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Paterson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
familygaming wrote:
I quite like this as a solo game, and 11 rounds is perfect, since there are 11 cards left over after setup.

My high score so far is 30 (or 8 if we are doing the -2pt/rd thing). I have yet to try a serious chain strategy though.

Nice! I've hit 29/7.

I'm not sure why we don't just add +2 for each additional card left in the timer stack, rather than reduce by 11 x (what you used). Simplicity. Most of the time, it seems, people are going to use all 11 cards anyways.

Would love to see this in an Oh My Goods! expansion, maybe with an actual 11-card timer deck, and a chart for recommended scoring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James To My Friends
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nakedmeeple wrote:
familygaming wrote:

Nice! I've hit 29/7.

I'm not sure why we don't just add +2 for each additional card left in the timer stack, rather than reduce by 11 x (what you used). Simplicity. Most of the time, it seems, people are going to use all 11 cards anyways.

Would love to see this in an Oh My Goods! expansion, maybe with an actual 11-card timer deck, and a chart for recommended scoring.

I agree, I think I prefer the 11 card timer deck with a +2 bonus per card left in the timer deck. Basically it's a maximum of +8 for finishing in 7 rounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Crosley
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used this variant to teach myself the game since I like playing games before I try to teach others.

I really really enjoyed it as a solo game. I scored 9 points (with the -2 points rule for every turn) I can see how this game could become addicting. I really want to play again and get my chains bigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adhil Patel
South Africa
Cape Town
Western Cape
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for working on a solo variant. I'm going to try this tonight! And yes, thanks Alexander for a great game. My group really liked it when I introduced it last night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ting Lawrence
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played my 2nd or 3rd round of this nice solo variant. I scored 26 and finished in 9 rounds (didn't count the final triggered round as the 10th round) so I ended with 8 points. I got a nice engine running using the office market cards which enabled me to get an assistant early in the game. 18 of my VPs were from buildings, 5 from having 25 coins worth of goods at the end of the game and the last 3 from the assistant I hired. Thanks for the variant!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Halden
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice. Just played and scored 9

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Wells Kerenza
United Kingdom
Bradford
W Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexP wrote:
voynitsky wrote:

You are not forced to build. You can stay at 7 buildings as long as you like.

Sorry, just rummaging through the old forum threads and I probably don't understand the game, mechanics or scoring enough, but...

Could you force the player to put their elected building in the timer pile if you choose not to build it. Based on previous scores 29/7 for 11 rounds and an average of 2 points that score would then be closer to zero sum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not show the timer cards face up and treat them like AI buildings.

And why not let the AI get assistant cards if he matches the color requirements? If he matches more than one, he picks from left to right, or a randomly that turn.

If the AI can get an assistant that you can, it gets it before you can.

And probably, just like a human, it won't get a building that turn, if it gets an assistant.

The AI could trigger game end.

The ai has advantages and disadvantages. It doesn't need to worry about money, but it can't benefit from it either at game end. It sets the pace of the game because it will usually end the game in 7 turns. But it might not if it encounters an assistant that it can get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Seda
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just tried the 11 round game and that really worked out well, although I didn't score so well. 20/-2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.