Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
Terminal City Tabletop Convention March 30-31, 2019
badge
www.terminalcitytabletop.com
mbmbmbmb
I'm thinking about playing this one again with some friends. The new rules should work with the old game right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
BOOM
badge
BOOM
Should work, but you need pieces for the destroyers and the artilleries. But IMHO the best change was the changing of the map itself (e.g. more territories between germany and russia), so I would play the old game with the old rules and, if you friends like it and you gonna play it more often, purchase the newer edition. It's worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John M
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. This is a great game, superior to the first - and I thought that was excellent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As several others have said, the new map and new pieces (artillery, destroyer) are really necessary to truly enjoy the new version, which is superb (I have a number of session reports entered here - it's my group's number one played game since 2004). I would strongly recommend buying the new game rather than trying to play the old one with the new rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Butler
United States
Marshall
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For those of us who would like to have a go at the new rules with the old components, what should we include without unbalancing the game? The double-hit battleships seem like they could be directly transplanted into MB A&A without any problem, but other than that, I'm not sure. Would 3/3 tanks be too powerful compared to infantry, without using artillery and the advantage they give to infantry?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Elliott
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've got the same issue - old game, but want to use new rules, without spending the money ...

I haven't found a way to introduce artillery units (other than using AA guns to shave down defending infantry, exactly like how they'd work against attacking planes), but I've somewhat integrated the destroyer into the battleship. I changed the sub rules for that, too. For example, subs can move through enemy fleets unless a battleship is present.

I also changed the unit prices, to make them a bit more cheaper, as the Revised version did.

As for the map, I divided up some sea zones, as well as the Western USA, and I'm thinking I'll probably add victory cities too. (If you're squeamish about drawing on the map, as I was, you can just use thin strips from the sticky part of post-it notes.)

I haven't tried using 3/3 tanks (I'm partial to tanks being better offensively), but it's probably worth a shot ...

Anyway, I've got a whole shwack of modifications, which I'm pretty happy with but admittedly haven't really tested yet. Feel free to send me a message if you want to see what I've come up with ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.