16 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Conventions » Essen

Subject: In 2016: Organized Meetings at the Galeria! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert
Germany
flag msg tools
Year after year the the Galeria west a huge crowd gathers. People run around in circles waving their signs. "Stop the wars in the Middle East!" and "Stop selling weapons overseas!" they proclaim. Some even get vio... I mean their signs proclaim
Stop The Oppressors
msg tools
and
Christopher Soileau
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools

Trading (this includes "selling"!) 5 games can take anywhere between 2 minutes and an hour.
It takes a while to find the person, as everyone stands where it suits them. Some have printed out their avatars and hold it up, some have put it down, as they currently are handing over a game, and some even don't have a sign at all.
Some people move around all the time with some games, some just stand somewhere, and some even sit a the same place all the time.

However, it's not only that. Sometimes people are hold up due to several reasons. It simply happens, no fault to anyone. But this adds to the confusion of the meetings.
If the person is not there, you can keep looking for a long time.

Having a phone number of the person you're looking for is a great back-up solution, in case it takes too long or doesn't work out at all.
However, this doesn't solve the initial problem!

Don't get me wrong, so far I have only encountered people who were kind and were willing to find an other solution, if the meeting didn't work out.

However, in my opinion everybody would profit from a more organized procedure.

Therefore, I propose to give every trader / seller a unique number based on their first entry in the Essen No-Ship Mathtrade and Auction.
Every trader / seller will be obliged to write / print this number on a piece of paper.
At the west end of the Galeria, people will have to stand in ascending order. I know that space is very tight there at the meetings, though I think if needed, paper sheets on the floor could be used as guide rails.

This way you can see in under a minute where the person you're looking for is or if he / she has not arrived yet.

What do you say?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
WhiteWalker wrote:

What do you say?

Don't you get that finding the correct person is part of the Great Game ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
flag msg tools
No, after all those Euro games I've played, I'm forced to always take the most efficient route available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Pachner
Germany
Aßlar
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, there will be no meeting in the Galeria in 2016, see my post over here:

Re: Essen SPIEL 2015 no shipping math trade discussion thread

Secondly, assuming that all participants know the correct order of the letters in the Latin alphabet, why add an additional layer of confusion by giving out arbitrary numbers? Just try to sort them by username. Good luck ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
flag msg tools
Thank you, Benjamin, for talking to the responsible persons, so that next year we can meet outside and have more than enough space !

If possible, can we still introduce some way of sorting the people for easier exchanges?
Numbers are easier to sort in a whim, but usernames will also do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trond Åge Låstad
Norway
Bergen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So you are telling me I can only trade with the number above or below me, since we all have to stay in our spot until our trades are complete....?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes B.
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
Honey?
mbmbmbmbmb
Traitor76 wrote:
So you are telling me I can only trade with the number above or below me, since we all have to stay in our spot until our trades are complete....?
Exactly what I was thinking. I don't know how this system could work...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Pachner
Germany
Aßlar
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WhiteWalker wrote:
If possible, can we still introduce some way of sorting the people for easier exchanges?

Who gets to stand and who has to walk? If we all stand there nicely sorted, no one will ever meet anyone :) If 1-100 stand and 101-200 walk, what happens when 50 is looking for 70 or 150 for 170? I don't think that it's anymore convenient than just reading the username signs. We could think about providing standardized username/avatar signs for everyone to print.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
flag msg tools
Yeah, I guess the idea was not fully developed yet. But atleast I sparked some discussion about it.

You could walk around freely, just leave your sign where you're stuff is. I just want to provide a flexible frame to help shortening the times you spend waiting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I mentioned before in the auction thread. You just need two things:
1. One big sign with your (nick)name on it
2. A list with names you're supposed to meet

Next year I will make sure to do a couple of things:
1. add to my auction posts I will only meet at the math trade meeting point or at a booth at my own convenience.
2. Bring a big fat marker and a stack of paper for everyone who didn't bring anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mia N.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
You could create a long ribbon, and attach a marking in certain intervals saying 10-20-30-40-... People could hold it up at the position of their trader/seller number. People could hold it up to let others pass. With the ribbon, you wouldn't necessarily need a straight line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
cuazzel wrote:
First of all, there will be no meeting in the Galeria in 2016, see my post over here:

Re: Essen SPIEL 2015 no shipping math trade discussion thread

Secondly, assuming that all participants know the correct order of the letters in the Latin alphabet, why add an additional layer of confusion by giving out arbitrary numbers? Just try to sort them by username. Good luck

wow great solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The current system works as well as anything else.

Any additional system requires people actually following that system. Lets try and get people to use signs that are actually readable from 1+ meters first.
Any system that involves placing people into specific spots makes it difficult for people to trade with others in different spots.
you will always need and have people walking around (essentially messing up your "line")

If you wanted to do a line then you'd have to do it like this:
d10-1 First person starts a line.
d10-2 Every other person goes to the front of the line and follows it trading with everyone they need to.
d10-3 Once they reach the end of the line if you skipped people who were trading you need to make another pass. Otherwise you just take your place at the end of the line. (Assuming you still have trades left to do)
d10-4 If you and your neighbor are not trading compare your usernames and switch places to sort the line if neccessary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If all people stand in ther position, they will never reach each other.
So if there are useres who will get and recieve games - and I think thats true for 99% - this will not work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's ok as is, given a bit of preparation like printing your name with BIG letters, arriving on time etc. It's also a bit of a cult thing, meeting the same folks year after year in a short of deja-vu way. Love it!

If I would change anything, I would recommend mandating that a silly hat must be worn by each seller. That's both fun and function.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
coralsaw wrote:
It's also a bit of a cult thing, meeting the same folks year after year in a short of deja-vu way. Love it!

Waves
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.