GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,522 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Catan» Forums » General

Subject: The suggested beginner board set-up rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonas Jacobsson
Sweden
Upplands Vasby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Settlers for the second time ever yesterday. This was with four players and we used the suggested beginner board set-up. I was red, and felt that it was a really bad color in this set-up. Not sure if it just was due to bad luck (felt that I didn't get as much resources as the other guys) or if it truly is a bad color in this set-up.

Anyway, it felt like we should go for the normal randomized set-up next time.

Any comments?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zopper Alf
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Every map has it's good and bad spots, that's the clever thing about the initial placement mechanism. You try to get a good combination even if you are first to chose or last to pick a place.
I really recommend browsing trough the forum I post in your other thread.
Simon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Jonas is saying that they didn't choose city positions, Simon. They used the suggested city placements in the "Beginner's game."

Jonas, I've played that setup twice, and I'd say that it is balanced and fair. But the dice are not always of the same opinion, so it is entirely possible that one player will never get their resource rolls, no matter how balanced the setup is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zopper Alf
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doh, my bad - thanks for pointing that out William.
It's been a long time (and more then 1000 games later) since I played Settlers for the first time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The colors are balanced, but I hate playing the beginner set up. I usually randomize and then choose the starting spots. This way, it caters to player's playing styles. I would try it again and attribute it to luck as that's what usually happens, numbers don't get rolled and players are sitting on nothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Jacobsson
Sweden
Upplands Vasby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
I think Jonas is saying that they didn't choose city positions, Simon. They used the suggested city placements in the "Beginner's game."

Jonas, I've played that setup twice, and I'd say that it is balanced and fair. But the dice are not always of the same opinion, so it is entirely possible that one player will never get their resource rolls, no matter how balanced the setup is.

I see. Then it was due to my bad luck and perhaps the strategy using the few resources that I did receive...

Thanks for the comments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually I think red has arguably the best position. He is kind of "boxed in", but his hex distribution is great.

In a few beginner-setup games I played, I think red won 75% of the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Frahm
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonjac wrote:
I played Settlers for the second time ever yesterday. This was with four players and we used the suggested beginner board set-up. I was red, and felt that it was a really bad color.

Too right. We random drew colours. Two games, and I've been red both times. I came pretty much last, or tied for last both times. Dispite being the most strategically minded. Beaten by my mum, and my girlfriend both times.

Advice for red: You need to beat yellow in making a settlement on the top right. Only one road and one settlement need to be built to get there.

Pay attention to where the robber is heading more often then not. In games I've played people just seem to want to keep him near the center, as if he is most effective there. If the robber gravitates to the center of the island then red will find it hard.

Contributing factors: I was last to act both games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Frahm
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Retracting that last statement. Though its not without merit.

Red isn't the best but its not bad either. You it will take some time to get a harbour if you want one. But you have options. Your your probably going to have to build a more roads then other people. So longest road is an option ... I've won with Red, and I saw another person playing red to REALLY well (second).

I think the biggest problem in the games I initially played was that the robber hit me early both times. I play "3 point variant" now and that is much more fair.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.