The Witcher Adventure Game» Forums » General

Subject: Pretty fun game in my humble opinion. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
martin andreasson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So, i actualy passed on playing the Witcher for several months. was my birthday present from my work collegues back in februari. And i read all these nagative reviews or divided opinions on how good the game was or not.
Also i heard comparisons to Talisman which i felt could be pretty boring and a little bit simple at times.
So my expectations were very low this weekend when i played it with a friend. He played Geralt and i the dwarf.
We were both happely suprised as a matter of fact. yes it was not the "deepest" game i have spent my time playing, bt it was fun, lighthearted and also a good mix of friendly competition while it had bits of character develoment and also trying to reach personal goals etc.
So all in all i felt we both pretty much liked it.
Was not my favorite game at all, but it is very likely we will bust it out yet another weekend when it is just the two us.
The only thing we both had some complaints on was that Geralt felt a little OP. Even the gold monsters was quite easy for him after a while and with his "signs" he got through development he basicly always got the sucsesses he needed in combat to defeat any monster( not sure we played that right though!)

An expansion would have been great though, some new cards and characters, hoping the rumors of not adding one is wrong!

So, fun game!
/Martin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
azza rein
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect many of the negative scores come from users having false expectations about the game given the designer.

I'm not saying its a perfect game, but if you come in expecting an updated Talisman, you're less likely to be disappointed.

Geralt is probably the easiest character to play but with enough experience the characters become more balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The negative feedback came mostly from people who played it through the iPad/PC version that was released on the same day.

The software was unfinished and both multi player connections and the AI did not work properly.

Hence the physical boardgame got no chance at all as everyone interested tried the cheap iPad version which failed through these software problems.

I think it was a good lesson for FFG. Never launch a software version of a new boardgame in the same period.

As such the game got a great deal of mediocre/bad ratings based on unfinished software.

I also think that the game lacked a simple set of solo rules, which certainly would have increased its appeal. Playing with the 4 different characters against a timer or a bot would have helped in exploring the very different styles of play/combat.

You can find a very simple solo variant on BBG though and this is already enough to show the game had much potential.

Now - In 2016 - the software version was perfected and actually it is a very good game on the PC/iPad with decent AI.

A missed opportunity but this game is better than Talisman in its genre but weaker than say Eldritch horror because the scope is smaller and a bit more shallow.

-----

When you have a gaming partner, I think the board game is great fun to explore the many kinds of tactics involved.

The game simply did not have any chance to grow after the initial software problems.

Sad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.