Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edouard Lorenceau
France
Boulogne-Billancourt
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Now that we know a good amount of the rules of the game, we non-$25-patrons can't actually try the game and, if you're like me, you really want to.
So I'd like to suggest a way for us to emulate a version of Codex using Magic cards with the rules we know! I'll call it Magic Codex! Here's what I propose for rules:

What stays the same (Resources/money/Hand management/buildings/Codex): This part of Magic Codex is the same as codex. Everyturn at the end of your turn you discard ur hand, draw x+2 where x is what you discarded (to a max of 5). You get 2 cards from your codex every turn. You still get 1 money per worker, can send a card to be a worker for 1 money + You can still build tech buildings, there's still a patrol line with bonuses, etc etc. (see the 3 Codex articles for details). What DOES change is the following.

Starting Deck: Your starting (Tech 0) cards would be made of creatures/spells of one color, with costs ranging from 1-3 that are common (rarity-wise). Potentially, you might want to limit these cards to a main edition (7th ed., Xth ed., 2014 ed., etc) but that should be tried out.

Tech 1: Tech 1 units/upgrades/buildings are uncommon cards and are therefore stronger (in Magic).

Tech 2: Tech 2 units/spells are rare cards of any price.

Tech 3: tech 3 cards would be Epic cards.

I'm not sure what to do with ultimate spells, but maybe only epic sorceries/instants would allowed for them.

Spec: Specs is cards within a specific set (think Champions of Kamigawa, or Urza's Legacy, etc) of one color. Remember you should have access to 3 specs. I think with the limited number of uncommon/rares in a set this should work since each spec in Codex is made of
- 3 spells, 1 ultimate spell, 2 tech 1 unites, 5 tech 2 units and 1 tech 3 unit. -

Heroes: This is one of the hardest parts to adapt. I think the only way to use this is to use the actual heroes from the game. The articles being published right now are showing every champion so this should not be a problem. Just make sure to define which hero corresponds to which spec beforehand.

I think that covers it. This idea needs to be tested out. There's all sorts of keywords and text on cards that are going to make for weird interactions (for example the interaction of Flying and the patrol zone mentioned in the 3rd article). So I'd love for this thread to become an avenue of discussion on what needs to be changed/adapted/banned to make it more fun, and to hear what people think of the mode and what it does to the genre of CCGs/LCGs. And if anyone wants to try it out with me/anyone, feel free to say so here as well.

PS: It's worth noting that this Codex Magic idea will NOT be as well crafted as the real game. Crafting cards for a ruleset is hard, but adapting a ruleset for a set of cards is harder. So i hope we can have fun with this until Codex comes out AND support it once it's released.

EDIT: rules were edited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Grande
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
And I thought I was too hyped and desperate about this game. You, sir, are clearly more XD.

Anyway, if you try this variant with Magic cards let us know, but I think I have to wait until Codex comes out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edouard Lorenceau
France
Boulogne-Billancourt
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well it's also that i love what the game is doing to the genre, and i'm curious to see how it would work in other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Evan Lopez
United States
California
flag msg tools
Wow! Such dedication

What is really fitting and ironic about your variant on Techs (using cards of a certain color from a certain set) completely highlights the insanity of M:tG card purchasing that Codex is trying to dispel completely (by giving you all of the cards out of the box). Even if somebody wanted to try your Magic Codex variant and they had tons of Magic cards, they probably still don't have enough cards to build the game

If you really wanted to check the game out, the best thing to do is to just pledge for 1 month at the $25 level. Then you'll have access to the most up to date print-and-play materials and you can then either use that or make your own proxy cards of the colors you wanted to check out. Then you can just resub back to whatever level you were at before.

If you wanna go crazy and buy the entire pre-release version, that is also available at the $25 level.

Awesome idea, but the real thing is still probably better

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edouard Lorenceau
France
Boulogne-Billancourt
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You could maybe expand the Specs to a whole block instead of set if you don't have enough cards. That said, ppl that play magic somewhat seriously should be able to build a deck i think. Especially if they use proxies (say a card is actually another card you don't own).

As for getting the game, sure i could, but 25$ is a lot of money, and considering the price he sells all the cards at their printing cost, the game is gonna be pretty damn expensive, so i'll wait on the actual release. I also don't have the time to cut/sleeve that many cards anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ralston
msg tools
unreal_ed wrote:
As for getting the game, sure i could, but 25$ is a lot of money, and considering the price he sells all the cards at their printing cost, the game is gonna be pretty damn expensive, so i'll wait on the actual release. I also don't have the time to cut/sleeve that many cards anymore.

If you buy the prerelease version, it costs either $25+cut/sleeve time, or a higher price to get actual shipped cards you can just ... start playing with.

ALSO, a point of clarification: The cost to purchase the actual prerelease cards is *more* than the cost it will be to get the official release with all expansions - Sirlin is selling these more-or-less at cost, but it's print-on-demand cost, which is significantly higher cost-per-card than the cost for an actual print run that's funded by kickstarter, so even when you factor in that he's going to try to make a profit on the full version, it'll still end up something like half what the print on demand version costs.

(Which is admittedly not the cheapest game in the world, but when you keep in mind that it's two different base sets plus four more expansions... it's a lot of content.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edouard Lorenceau
France
Boulogne-Billancourt
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Updated with newer rules now we know more about the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tea Hagen
msg tools
mbmb
You can also get the free PnP starter set from the Sirlin Store. (Seems to be free for a limited time, normal price $8).

http://www.sirlingames.com/products/codex-starter-set-print-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edouard Lorenceau
France
Boulogne-Billancourt
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for pointing it out ! Didn't know that was up.

Still tho, the point Codex Magic is experimenting with the ruleset under an actually-collectible setting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith

New York
msg tools
For anyone else looking for a way to try out Codex, someone got the two starter decks setup on Tabletop Simulator: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=617861...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edouard Lorenceau
France
Boulogne-Billancourt
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Funny because I also created one just afterwards !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.