Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Hi Carl,

we have some questions after two games mainly about supply system:

1. When does Final supply phase exactly take place? Choose one option

A. Regular turn - at the end of:
a) each player turn because phasing player units are checked first
b) game turn during houskeeping phase. Who is phasing player?

B. Major offensive turn - at the end of:
a) each player turn
b) weekly turn
c) game turn

2. I dont understand boxed text at the end of 17.1. Does it mean that no supply marker is put on Allied units over beachhead limit in Allied supply phase. They suffer standard no supply penalties during game turn but they are NOT removed in Final supply phase?

3. Advance supply rules are not used in operation Diadem so Anzio can serve as ultimate supply source for unlimited number of units of one army. Right? If yes, can I choose the army at the begining of scenario or is Anzio a supply source for US army only? Beachheads provide supply for UK units in that case?

Thanks for clarification
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
chomski wrote:

If you check the sequence of play (Those on the back of the Two Strategic Deployment cards are easy to read), it's during the End of turn housekeeping Phase. The Phasing Player will be the German Player as he does his Turn last.

I should probably just have said the "Player who had his turn last".

chomski wrote:

B. Major offensive turn - at the end of:
a) each player turn
b) weekly turn
c) game turn
[q="chomski"]

The End of Each Weekly Turn.

Just follow the Sequence of play!

[q="chomski"]
2. I dont understand boxed text at the end of 17.1. Does it mean that no supply marker is put on Allied units over beachhead limit in Allied supply phase. They suffer standard no supply penalties during game turn but they are NOT removed in Final supply phase?

Well, what happen is this: you only check supply with units with a "No Supply" marker, so unless you have well over the maximum unit supported by a beachhead, they will be in supply.

Example 1: 5 normal units requiring one supply point each tracing supply to two beachhead units (Supply capacity of 4): during the Player's turn supply phase, one of those has a "No Supply" marker put in. During the final supply phase, ONLY the one with a "No Supply" marker needs to trace supply during the final supply phase, and the two beaches can give 4 points: it's back in supply. The other units do not check so are not counted.

Example 2: 3 normal units and 3 Large Mech units (these requiring two supply points each) are supported by 2 beachheads. You have 4 supply points, but need 3+6 = 9 Supply points to give supply to everyone. So let's give supply to 2 Mech units 4SP); the 3 regular unit sand the remaining Mech units are "Out of Supply". During the final supply phase those out of supply units are checked again: you have 4SP of beachheads, but need to supply 5SP of units, not enough: One will die. The 2 mech units that were given Supply to at the start of the turn are not counted in this, since they do not have "out of supply" markers.

Conclusion: It's very hard to die out of supply if supplied only by beachhead supply. But you will suffer the "out of supply" penalties. IF you have over double the number of units to supply vs beachhead capacity, then you will lose some. So each beachhead can in effect support double it's capacity, but half the unit supported will be "out of Supply" during the players-turns.

Just follow the supply rules exactly as written.

chomski wrote:

3. Advance supply rules are not used in operation Diadem so Anzio can serve as ultimate supply source for unlimited number of units of one army. Right? If yes, can I choose the army at the begining of scenario or is Anzio a supply source for US army only? Beachheads provide supply for UK units in that case?

This is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Kotek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Thank you Carl for perfect support! Hope that next time Allies will be much faster in Diadem. We played with Final supply phase at the end of Game turn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Åkerlund
Sweden
Vallentuna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
licinius wrote:
chomski wrote:

If you check the sequence of play (Those on the back of the Two Strategic Deployment cards are easy to read), it's during the End of turn housekeeping Phase. The Phasing Player will be the German Player as he does his Turn last.

I should probably just have said the "Player who had his turn last.

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I've just recently bought the game and are currently going through the rules and all the threads in this indispensable forum.

Anyway, in the Sequence of Play, there's an asterisk after "Final Supply Phase". Just above is an explanation: "*Allied player goes first, then the German player". Most likely I'm just mis-reading something but it seems your answer here says something different?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Brastias wrote:
Most likely I'm just mis-reading something but it seems your answer here says something different?

In most cases the Allied player turn will be first, unless the German Player has the initiative by doing a Major offensive. Note that the asterisks are for ALL phases of a turn.

Rules, Page 6, German Player Turn:

Exception: If the German player declared a Major Offensive,
his Player Turn is first, the Allied player second.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Setser
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Developer - "Bayonets & Tomahawks" and "Imperial Struggle"
mbmbmbmbmb
So need to just have a standing game of this going at all times. Just dying to figure out what the Germans do with their Major offensives. Seems that there's a big heaping helping of Fascist shenanagins to be had there.

(That so seems like a good icon or meme there)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Åkerlund
Sweden
Vallentuna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Thanks. I think what threw me off was that you spoke of the "player who had his turn last" as the one to begin the Final Supply phase. But what you're saying is to just keep the same player order through all phases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bsets wrote:
So need to just have a standing game of this going at all times. Just dying to figure out what the Germans do with their Major offensives. Seems that there's a whole bunch of Fascist shenanagins to be had there.

It should keep the Allies "on their toes" and not having them make too aggressive/risky maneuvers, which they did not do during most of the Italian Campaign (Alexander or Clark were no Pattons). Since in the Regular game Allied players cannot do two offensives in a row, this leaves a chance for the Germans to "Counter-Offensive" them in the following turn, and thus getting a "double move" (playing last in the previous turn, then first in the new turn). Mind you, the German army in most circumstance will not be that a threat, but if the Allies stretched their lines too far and/or did not pummel the Germans hard enough during their offensive they could be in for a big surprise. Example: The Allies do an Amphibious Offensive and a Landing in Anzio but did not make much progress;p in the following turn, before they can stabilize their bridgehead, the Germans make an offensive of their own to try to push them back to the sea (like historically happened).

Still, a full-blown German attack like this will probably be a rare event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Brastias wrote:

Thanks. I think what threw me off was that you spoke of the "player who had his turn last" as the one to begin the Final Supply phase. But what you're saying is to just keep the same player order through all phases.

This is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.