Popular Tags: [View All]
Bonaparte
United States
DesMoines
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sure this has been answered, but I am not finding it. Can a major power choose not to make an influence roll when an influence roll is being made on an inactive, or active major or minor power?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Goldfarb Styrt
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would seem like you have to compete. From the rules section 24.6

"1. Determine Competing Powers: Each major power listed as
either an Activate or Deactivate power competes for control of
the power whose diplomatic status is being evaluated.
2. Roll Dice: Each competing major power rolls a single die
and computes a final total by adding their influence points (if
any) with the target power to the roll of the die."

So "each major power listed...competes" and "each competing power rolls"--thus, each major power listed rolls. No opt out provided.

Now, you can choose Isolation or Intervention if the diplomatic influence roll was triggered by a DOW on a minor power (9.4), so you aren't always forced to take advantage of winning. But I don't think you can decline to roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bonaparte
United States
DesMoines
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It does say "each competing power", but is it implicit that one must compete? I ask this because it also says "determine the competing powers", which in at least one interpretation means that some powers may not be competing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
"It may be doubted whether so small a number of men ever employed so short a space of time with greater or more lasting effects upon the history of the world.” — Sir George Otto Trevelyan on the Battles of Trenton and Princeton
mbmbmbmbmb
It's explicit. Reread 1. above and obey. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bonaparte
United States
DesMoines
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dirubin wrote:

But it is illogical. One should not "have to" compete for influence. And I don't want to obey, but I need to convince my game group that the rules are not clear on this.

You are not helping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave Davies wrote:
dirubin wrote:

But it is illogical. One should not "have to" compete for influence. And I don't want to obey, but I need to convince my game group that the rules are not clear on this.

You are not helping.

1. Determine Competing Powers: Each major power listed as

Logical or not, I agree with the reading that this is not a choice; each major power listed yadda yadda competes. Not "may" compete. Competes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bonaparte
United States
DesMoines
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:

Logical or not, I agree with the reading that this is not a choice; each major power listed yadda yadda competes. Not "may" compete. Competes.

So, what are you saying?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave Davies wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

So, what are you saying?

I am saying that the answer to your question, "Can a major power choose not to make an influence roll when an influence roll is being made on an inactive, or active major or minor power?" is No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
Completely agree with Philip, Dave and Wendell.

Under which possible circumstance would you ever wish to decline your roll? You're going to lose your influence anyway, so the only thing I can think of is you wanted to make this part of a (non-binding) diplomatic agreement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Goldfarb Styrt
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave Davies wrote:
It does say "each competing power", but is it implicit that one must compete? I ask this because it also says "determine the competing powers", which in at least one interpretation means that some powers may not be competing.

Some powers aren't competing, but those are the powers not listed on that minor power's chart as an Activate or Deactivate power: Ottoman for Scotland for instance. But everyone listed (and not removed via minor power D.O.W.) competes. No exception, no opt out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
turbothy wrote:
Completely agree with Philip, Dave and Wendell.

Under which possible circumstance would you ever wish to decline your roll? You're going to lose your influence anyway, so the only thing I can think of is you wanted to make this part of a (non-binding) diplomatic agreement.

That or you don't want to become allied with that minor, since it'll allow more piracy against you. Most likely Ireland which also doesn't give you a key. It could also be Venice in some situations, due to Ottoman piracy options against you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.