Denise Van Peursem
Tanzania
Spring Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Cor 12:9
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not played either core set and am anxious to get going with this new core set, but am wondering why this new version is only 2 player vs the original core set being 2-4 player?

I've seen the TableTop video of game play of the original core and noticed it's basically a co-op of two teams. Do you think that why they decided just to make it 2 player?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lieffring
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
X-Wing is a 2 player game. There's an official 4-player team variant, but nobody really plays it. The BGG listing for the original core once said the game was for 2-3 players, but it's adamantly not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
IncompleteUserNa wrote:
X-Wing is a 2 player game. There's an official 4-player team variant, but nobody really plays it. The BGG listing for the original core once said the game was for 2-3 players, but it's adamantly not.

Agreed. Cannot imagine the downtime and trying to coordinate teams. I suppose you could do a free for all though, nothing is of course stopping multiplayer play once you have enough expansions and ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Van Peursem
Tanzania
Spring Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Cor 12:9
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, gotcha.

Thanks so much Andrew and Jonathan!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IncompleteUserNa wrote:

Maybe not for tournaments or game nights at the FLGS, but I certainly play multiplayer at home, and I'm willing to bet many others do as well. Not everyone plays at the FLGS and in tournaments.

For casual play at home, we sometimes do 2v2, with each person getting 50 points, but you can certainly make the points per player whatever you want. Epic is very doable with more than 2 players.

Edit: If you're strictly speaking about the core set only, then that's not really playable with more than 2, but with expansion, yes it's possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Van Peursem
Tanzania
Spring Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, thanks Matthew.

So if I end up with two core sets it would easily play with 4 people playing on two separate teams? And it won't matter which core sets I buy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GamerVP wrote:
So if I end up with two core sets it would easily play with 4 people playing on two separate teams? And it won't matter which core sets I buy?

A standard game is 100 squad points per side, but for casual play, you can set the number at whatever you want. With 2 core sets, you're going to be in the neighborhood of 70 squad points per team, with each Rebel player controlling 1 x-wing and each Imperial player controlling 2 TIEs. That's doable, but not ideal.

But for just starting out, go ahead and get the 1 or 2 core sets, have fun, and add some ships as you go along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Van Peursem
Tanzania
Spring Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Matthew! The Millenium Falcon and Slave I will be my first must haves. From there I will have to watch my spending since I already own Imperial Assault and all of the expansions to date...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Sieradzki
Poland
Opole
flag msg tools
badge
We don't stop playing when we get old, but we get old when we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I strongly disagree that it is a pure 2 player game!
My group (5-7 people) usually forms two teams of 2/3 - 3/4 players!
A day before a game I prepare two 100 points squadron lists with all the ships and weapons/mods and then we assign one ship apiece. The other option is to play an official scenario assigning ships to the group members. We have one father and his two sons and they usually form a flight.
It does not matter who flies as an Academy Pilot and who is Darth Vader at all! We just stick to the factions and do not mix them - according to the rules.
I am usually a GM and control the activations and firing queue.
Fun is all that matters!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D B
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nightbomber wrote:
Oh, I strongly disagree that it is a pure 2 player game!
My group (5-7 people) usually forms two teams of 2/3 - 3/4 players!
A day before a game I prepare two 100 points squadron lists with all the ships and weapons/mods and then we assign one ship apiece. The other option is to play an official scenario assigning ships to the group members. We have one father and his two sons and they usually form a flight.
It does not matter who flies as an Academy Pilot and who is Darth Vader at all! We just stick to the factions and do not mix them - according to the rules.
I am usually a GM and control the activations and firing queue.
Fun is all that matters!

Fun is all the matters. Never a truer statement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that X-Wing is great for 4 players. I also enjoy playing War of the Ring and similar games as team-games. Coordination and teamwork is really great and it is far more social as a result.

I understand people that don't like it like that, but it's really fun for a 'boardgaming night'. We even include drafting for ships (point limits must still be followed though).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.