Subject: Anyone played it yet ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thodoris Kalaitzis
Greece
Kalamata
flag msg tools
Hi guys!

Does anyone have played it yet in New Zealand, Australia or SouthEast Asia?

Many of us (especially here in the EU) would like to know it plays out...it will be two months till it reaches us...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael nut
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a prototype copy and it was excellent, does that help?

Clever twist on worker placement with a place and pick up mechanic, lots of replayability, multiple viable paths to victory and just a little bit of screwage and interaction. Easy to teach and learn but will be tough to master. Oh and the artwork is great! Hanging out for my genuine copy with metal coins!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thodoris Kalaitzis
Greece
Kalamata
flag msg tools
brumbynut wrote:
I played a prototype copy and it was excellent, does that help?

Clever twist on worker placement with a place and pick up mechanic, lots of replayability, multiple viable paths to victory and just a little bit of screwage and interaction. Easy to teach and learn but will be tough to master. Oh and the artwork is great! Hanging out for my genuine copy with metal coins!!

THANK YOU!
I was hoping for that and what you are telling me helps a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Molokov (AU)
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy arrived yesterday, I punched the tokens, unwrapped the cards, read the rules and set up the game...

But no, haven't played it yet. Seems fairly straightforward in mechanisms based on the rules, but also quite intriguing in the "place one worker, take one worker" mechanic.

Hope to get around to playing it soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Roberts
Australia
Katoomba
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was hoping to play this weekend, but mine still hasn't arrived
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mate brought it along last night - so we played it. I was pretty impressed, its easy to pick up, looks great, lots of stuff to think about.

The artwork of the viking cards is particularly impressive - really liked the style.

I think this will be a big hit with our group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Molesworth
Australia
Glenhaven
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had previously play-tested Raiders before the Kickstarter campaign.

Our group played my freshly un-boxed and sleeved production copy last night. We had three players... one being a heavy Euro player, one preferring lighter games, and myself in the middle.

All three enjoyed it immensely. It played in about an hour, never dragged and no A.P. Everyone that saw it loves the "place-a-worker, take first action, pick-up-a-worker, take second action" mechanic. It's so smooth.

We ended up with 2 points difference between all of us, and played quite different strategies.

So I'd call that a huge success for a first play for 2/3 of the players.

And the components (coins/meeples/board/cards etc) are just fantastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Roberts
Australia
Katoomba
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay! It came today and so we unboxed and gawped at the AMAZING artwork / components. I'd love to have a set of the pnp player boards too.

The theme carries through the whole game, the wooden bits are so much better than cubes, and no-one could tell a cow from a wheat when fingering deep in the bag.

Gameplay was super smooth, very lovely tension between upgrading your vikings and thus allowing others to take them once placed. Close scoring and even though I came last I had a brilliant game. Can't wait to play more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Ng
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played it. 3 player game. It was a blast. Really like the artwork as well as the mechanics of the game. Lots of decisions to make and different paths to victory. Definitely no regrets backing this game!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Przemyslaw Kozlowski
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
A friend received an early review copy and we played a 4 player game. It was a blast and everyone loved the components. Can't wait for my kickstarter copy to arrive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poohdish Rattanavijai
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got mine last night.

I had a demo run for a round and the game is really easy to learn but rather balance in what you can do. I must admit that sometime it could feel a little suffocate if your opponent could read what you wanted to do then block you.

I had three-player setup last night all played by me to get familiar with the rules. One player is getting ahead and get a nice early raid off the harbor that kick start his engine then he could block the next player from either getting coins and hiring mercenaries. For one player, it is pretty brutal, he almost had no chance to come back. While the leader is really far ahead, at the end game it really surprises me that the second player caught up to be only 1 VP behind.

Valkyrie is a really interesting concept of the game, you gain points for losing mercenaries. However, you need lots of crew to raid high level location. So it's a trade off thing but the VP bonus from Valkyries is also a big one.

The game feel really smooth with three-player setup, and most of the time, the coin (super sweet metal coin is gorgeous btw), provision, and hiring crew really provide options for what you choose to do.

The most impressive thing to me is the working mechanic where you place one and remove one worker. This prevent players from being paralyzed from blocking. Blocking with the correct worker can hinder the planned engine from execution, but it never completely ruins someone turn.

With only a single run, I already love this game. Can't wait to bring it to friends for another go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Molokov (AU)
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first game this weekend - 4 players, all of us learning. Having read through the rules twice, I taught it to the others and it was *very* easy to teach.

I said "the only thing missing on the board is a reminder of the hand/resource/crew limits" when one of the other players pointed out that it's on your ship card! So more fool me, being on the player card is definitely enough

We really liked the innovative place-worker-then-take-worker mechanic, and all it really restricted us on was the order that we took the actions we wanted to do. Very very rarely was a spot "blocked" from our plans, and only once or twice did we get in each others' way on a Raid or making an offering at the Long House - which was still fun, because it wasn't nasty.

There *can* be a bit of nastiness with some of the Town hall actions on the cards, true, but most are easily recovered from.

In the end, late in the game, one player was miles ahead because he'd built up a strong crew and was raiding the fortresses and monastries and basically ignoring offerings, whereas I felt I was lagging behind having no armour, only 1 valkyrie, and not having a large or strong crew, without the cards in my hand to improve it. So I tried to use the resources I had to make as many offerings as possible (even stealing one or two from the current leader). In the end, I managed to get 26 points on offerings at end game, which put me tidily into second place, with our winner only 11 points ahead. Sure it's a big gap, but I felt it was fair for a first game. I think I will try a somewhat different strategy on my next game to see how that goes... but I do feel like there were many paths to victory.

Quite enjoyed it - our game was a bit long for my liking (close to 2 hours) but I suspect that was due to a slow start, and I didn't actually feel bored at any point during the game because most people's turns were rather quick... only small amounts of AP (generally on people's choice of *second* action).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adhil Patel
South Africa
Cape Town
Western Cape
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got in a four player game in this weekend, and I really enjoyed it.

Components
The components are top notch, and the art is fantastic. One of our group didn't find it to his liking (too cartoony) but I LOVE it.

The coins were a real head-turner! People kept coming up to our table to pick up and play with the coins. They have a wonderful weight, and make a very satisfying clink (not too tinny).

Game play
The place a worker then take a worker 'mechanic' was intuitive to me, but one of our group was really struggling with it. As previously mentioned, this mechanic doesn't necessarily 'block' actions, but there were certainly turns where I couldn't do what I wanted to do, either because of a mismatch of meeple colour or needing to do things in a specific order (having money for recruiting).

I liked the way the Valkyrie was incorporated, as it improves replayability and makes the competition for raid spots quite hot.

We ran out of gold in the supply at some point, and someone started to complain about this, saying it was a flaw, and I got quite grumpy.

IT'S NOT A FLAW. It's BRILLIANT!

It forces people to adjust their strategies, and to perhaps make other preparations ahead of the gold becoming available.

Game length
I also found the game went a little longer than I would have liked, but that was probably also because we were not aggressive enough with our raids. The acceleration slows down a bit in the last third of the game, when you are spending a lot of provisions to get to each fortress.

Final thoughts
In the end, I found it to be quite a compelling Euro. It's thematic in the way you need to build up your provisions and crew to handle bigger and better raids, but I wasn't sure that the pay-offs were big enough.

The scores were pretty close in the end, so I guess it was quite tense, but I did feel like it was a little bit mechanical towards the end, as there was very little variation in terms of how to win. It felt like we all needed to do pretty much the same things to gain VPs.

A solid game, but not one that I'm going to be trying to get to the table every week. So for me, it's like Merkator, rather than Concordia.

Lastly, I'll say that it didn't really fill me with excitement, but that could also be because we played Blood Rage before and after it, which probably eclipsed Raiders in terms of COOL factor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ah kaiser
Canada
Woodstock
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got it for Christmas, we have managed 10 4 player games, love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Flanagan
United States
Santa Cruz
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played it and want to play it some more

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.