Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm about to play a 7 player version of attack! with expansion tomorrow night. Anything any players out there could let me know (strategies, tips, rules, mods, etc) would be much appreciated to help the game go smoother, to allow me to teach the rules easier.

One thing I plan on doing is using the alternating turn house rules, where everyone does their first move, then whoever wants to do a 2nd, 3rd and so on keep doing it..it makes for less down time.

thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Ironhat
United States
Syracuse
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After explaining how to play make sure that players understand how their form of government scores points.

e.g. Democracy should not start attacking neutrals.

Fascist should attack territories with 3 (I think) or more units in it.

ETC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
ninja I recommend tossing out the "game ends when 13th Eagle-Event card is played" rule. Instead, play until one player is eliminated. The game can be disappointingly anticlimactic with the "Eagle-Event" rule, IMHO. ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Badinelli
Italy
Lonato
Brescia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My only suggestion is to limit the diplomatic blitz per player to 3 tries per turn successful or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cool, thanks all...

also, does naval combat work the same way...just with the pieces instead of cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Badinelli
Italy
Lonato
Brescia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Naval combat is the same, minis are useful only to mark possession of naval areas and with the trade routes this is important.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reeves
United States
Georgetown
TX
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We play with three house rules (someone's mentioned 2 already):

1. Limit of 3 diplomatic blitz attempts per turn
2. Half price (round up) for all units
3. Game ends on a 6 (d6) after the 20th eagle card played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John M
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great game - but I'd like to add two things my crew of armchair generals found essential:
Dowload and use the markers representing the worth of each area.
Download and use the action cards instead of the original turn-style design.

Neither is really necessary if its your first time playing it, as you'll be getting familiar with the rules/tactics and what not. But the markers deepen the strategic value of certain areas and enhance the tactics necessary for each game - and they just make sense (otherwise a country/territory can change from a highly profitable oil reserve to a near worthless place in one turn). The Action cards completely negate the down time of the original 'play until you don't want to spend anymore' method of the original game, and (in my crew) seem to add the devious level of world politics. I have to agree with the previous statement about not using the eagle cards as the end alls of the game - because you barely start fleshing out your empire and the game ends! But, having said that, if not using the eagle cards to end the game - be prepared for a much longer game (which in my opionion, is excellent).

Both downloads are here...takes a bit of tedious work but its worth it (I only bothered with doing one side of the markers used on the terrain, just make sure the other sides are all the same color). Doesn't matter if they're perfectly cut - with so many of 'em you really can't tell what they are when they're face down on the board.

I like the game - despite a couple kinks in the mechanics.

-V

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John M
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great game - but I'd like to add two things my crew of armchair generals found essential:
Dowload and use the markers representing the worth of each area.
Download and use the action cards instead of the original turn-style design.

Neither is really necessary if its your first time playing it, as you'll be getting familiar with the rules/tactics and what not. But the markers deepen the strategic value of certain areas and enhance the tactics necessary for each game - and they just make sense (otherwise a country/territory can change from a highly profitable oil reserve to a near worthless place in one turn). The Action cards completely negate the down time of the original 'play until you don't want to spend anymore' method of the original game, and (in my crew) seem to add the devious level of world politics. I have to agree with the previous statement about not using the eagle cards as the end alls of the game - because you barely start fleshing out your empire and the game ends! But, having said that, if not using the eagle cards to end the game - be prepared for a much longer game (which in my opionion, is excellent).

Both downloads are here...takes a bit of tedious work but its worth it (I only bothered with doing one side of the markers used on the terrain, just make sure the other sides are all the same color). Doesn't matter if they're perfectly cut - with so many of 'em you really can't tell what they are when they're face down on the board.

I like the game - despite a couple kinks in the mechanics.

-V

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
QUESTION ON TRADE ROUTES

I guess I still don't see the importance of trade routes...i know that they are generally of higher numeric value and act as a wild card for the point of making sets...but if you already have a good amount of oil and cash, whats the point of owning a trade route...as it'll also make you a target?

I know trade routes also act as shipping lanes for countries that border them, but it seems as though one doesn't have to own the trade route to travel through it...and if you have your navy in it, you more or less own it by force for the purpose of movement.

Clarification please! thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.