Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just read this review over on The Boarding Kennel website. The reviewer was at Essen and got a chance to play the demo...lucky!

Source: http://www.the-boarding-kennel.com/scythe-finally-hits-kicks...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for linking that review. I was pretty disappointed that I couldn't test the game at Essen. We walked by the tables at least three times when they were empty but still couldn't test the game, we didn't even got a short introduction to the game and it's rules, all we heard was they were already reserved ... that really made me think about if I want to back the game, even though it looks quite interesting.

When I walked by the Perdition's Mouth: Abyssal Rift game tables (also an upcoming kickstarter) and looked curious at the board the designer even invited me to join one of the tables and pointed out that there would be a chance to play the game in a few minutes. That's how you get excited backers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Thompson

Las Vegas
Nevada
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
Just read this review over on The Boarding Kennel website. The reviewer was at Essen and got a chance to play the demo...lucky!

You have been sounding the horn for this game pretty darn hard, what about the game seems so unique and new that it deserves the cheerleading?

Honest Q, from what I have seen game seems decent enough but nothing that grabs me enough to post daily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kathrin: I'm the designer of Scythe and I'm solely responsible for it, but I wasn't at Essen. Morning Players was very nice to feature the game there to demo, but it wasn't their top priority. I'm not sure what else to say...I love to get backers excited, but I simply couldn't attend Essen, so I'm sorry I wasn't specifically able to help you in that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Harris
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:

Thanks for the link Jason. Something to tide me over until the morning!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also this podcast--one of my favorite podcasts let me join them for an episode: http://boardgamersanonymous.com/episode-91-if-you-like-try-s...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Treasure
United Kingdom
Romsey
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kassanova wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:

You have been sounding the horn for this game pretty darn hard, what about the game seems so unique and new that it deserves the cheerleading?

Honest Q, from what I have seen game seems decent enough but nothing that grabs me enough to post daily.

The question wasn't to me but from my POV it's a heady combo of trusted publisher, excellent track record of games, ethical, sensible KS campaigns, a really decent bloke heading it up and a game that *seems* like it ticks an awful lot of the boxes I look for being a hybrid game fan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with Rob's reasons above, and would add a few small things that are enough to make this a game I'll be backing:

- I love the interaction between workers and military units. Losing popularity for warring in civilian areas means that attacking will rarely be an easy decision and opens up some interesting strategies.
- Gathered resources are placed on the board. You don't scoop them up and drop them in your player area, so there's a greater imperative to think about logistics, and protecting an area not just for the resources it can produce in the future
- Free flowing turn structure. Sometimes it's nice to be able to play a big game and not worry about regimenting everyone through a bunch of phases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rozalski's art is simply beautiful. Add Stonemaier to the mix and I'm interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Kathrin: I'm the designer of Scythe and I'm solely responsible for it, but I wasn't at Essen. Morning Players was very nice to feature the game there to demo, but it wasn't their top priority. I'm not sure what else to say...I love to get backers excited, but I simply couldn't attend Essen, so I'm sorry I wasn't specifically able to help you in that way.

Thanks Jamey, good to know. I will still follow your campaign and the game, but that really was a setback. I just hope for you that there weren't too many disappointed people like me and my group.

And now back to the review

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kitarja wrote:
Thanks for linking that review. I was pretty disappointed that I couldn't test the game at Essen. We walked by the tables at least three times when they were empty but still couldn't test the game, we didn't even got a short introduction to the game and it's rules, all we heard was they were already reserved ... that really made me think about if I want to back the game, even though it looks quite interesting.

I'm really sorry to hear that. On the other hand, I heard from someone else who walked by multiple times and said that the tables were filled up each time, so it seems that you were unlucky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes they were crowded most of the time and I think we might have unluckily spotted those rare occasions were a game was finished before the next group, who reserved a table, arrived.

I am definitely not a fan of reserving tables days in advance, and would have loved to get at least a short introduction to the game in those 5-10min in between. But as Jamey said it wasn't Stonemaier Games, but Morning Players who demoed the game, that makes me feel a little better about it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
badge
DOES NOT COMPUTE ||| EXTERMINATE ||| EXTERMINAAAAAATE
mbmbmbmbmb
Kitarja wrote:
Yes they were crowded most of the time and I think we might have unluckily spotted those rare occasions were a game was finished before the next group, who reserved a table, arrived.

I am definitely not a fan of reserving tables days in advance, and would have loved to get at least a short introduction to the game in those 5-10min in between. But as Jamey said it wasn't Stonemaier Games, but Morning Players who demoed the game, that makes me feel a little better about it

A little luck is needed I guess. Even though they did reservations, they would still try to fill the tables up to all five players - that's how I got to try the game, I was just standing next to the table admiring the art and the lady explaining the rules asked me if I'd like to join as they still have a free faction :-)

As for the experience itself, it was only a one hour slot which translates to maybe 30 minutes of actual playtime. Overall I was happy with what I saw and had fun with it, but I did have a few not so positive impressions:
- I am not a fan of blind bidding combat in the first place and what I played confirmed my feelings: when there was a fight on one of the tunnel spaces - which can happen very easily (see my next point) - it is very likely that both players lose in the end: the loser retreats and the winner, having now lost a fair amount of power, is very much open to attack from any of the other players. With all 5 players, it is very likely someone will have a mech in range. Seems that tunnel spaces are going to be no-man's land.
- I intensely disliked the limited movements. From a thematic perspective, it makes no sense to allow riverwalk to cross only to mountains and forests. If anything, crossing a mountain river would actually be harder than crossing a river next to a village. This feature then results in funneling players to the center, which to me seems kind of like an artificial way of encouraging conflict. Also (I started as the blue faction) when you have a village tile right next to your homeland that is separated from you only by a river and despite you having BOAT MECHS with the ability to cross rivers the game rules make it so that you still have to go around the map for ~5 movement points to get there... tell me that is not a huge theme/mechanics disconnect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Suwanda
Switzerland
Uznach
SG
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamey - I would be interested to hear the design decision behind the movement limitations on Riverwalk. As I learned from the other thread it was not mean to funnel or guide the player to a certain area on the map so I am curious what is made for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
mb
Glad I read this review! Thanks.

Alas, mecha + little combat + euro engine building = run away Andy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Reaper wrote:
Kassanova wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:

The question wasn't to me but from my POV it's a heady combo of trusted publisher, excellent track record of games, ethical, sensible KS campaigns, a really decent bloke heading it up and a game that *seems* like it ticks an awful lot of the boxes I look for being a hybrid game fan.

...It ticks some boxes I didn't know I had. "1920s alternate history European mechs" for example. I had no clue I wanted a game that did that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
Den Haag
Zuid Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kathrin,
You couldn't possibly expect that game hyped to this extent would be a walk-in possibility! It's not a 15 min playtime cardgame. Right now I feel you do Morning players staff injustice.
On Thursday morning I have reserved a table for my group and Morning Players staff was really helpful to fit me in on Saturday (sic!) Already then there were only a few spots left. I know that they were trying to accommodate as many people as they could have - adding single players to the group that has already reserved the table (happened in our case as well a +1).
Bear in mind there were only 2 tables and the explanation wasn't shorter then 30min so KUDOS to Morning Players for handling the situation, because (unfortunately I don't remember her name) our girl instructor was super nice, extremely efficient and knew what she was talking about. Thanks to her we enjoyed the demo immensely. And my friends who aren't really into boardgaming (yet!-work in progress ) are considering backing the project!
Witt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kirin_9JG54 wrote:
Jamey - I would be interested to hear the design decision behind the movement limitations on Riverwalk. As I learned from the other thread it was not mean to funnel or guide the player to a certain area on the map so I am curious what is made for.

It's calibrated so you can't walk out of your home territory and immediately into someone else's home territory, which playtesters reported as being really frustrating (it was frustrating when you could immediately interrupt a neighbor's plans early in the game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Studley
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Who fell asleep in the rain? Did you fall asleep in the rain? Yes you did. Oh yes you did.
mbmbmbmbmb
Borghal wrote:
From a thematic perspective, it makes no sense to allow riverwalk to cross only to mountains and forests. If anything, crossing a mountain river would actually be harder than crossing a river next to a village.

I see this as different styles of mechs are built differently and, therefore, have different footing on different types of terrain, just as certain types of vehicles are capable of traversing different types of surfaces or operating in varying conditions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love that thematic explanation, David. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
badge
DOES NOT COMPUTE ||| EXTERMINATE ||| EXTERMINAAAAAATE
mbmbmbmbmb
DJStudley wrote:
Borghal wrote:
From a thematic perspective, it makes no sense to allow riverwalk to cross only to mountains and forests. If anything, crossing a mountain river would actually be harder than crossing a river next to a village.

I see this as different styles of mechs are built differently and, therefore, have different footing on different types of terrain, just as certain types of vehicles are capable of traversing different types of surfaces or operating in varying conditions.

I see what you're trying to say, but in the situation I was talking about, I was playing the faction with the boat-crawler mechs. Don't tell me they would have more trouble crossing a river and walking out onto a field than climbing a mountain or fitting between trees in a forest... Also, you can cross from any type of hex, so this adds to the nonsense feeling of this limit. Maybe I'll be able to get used to it and ignore it, but in the few turns I played it felt very annoying to have an option called riverwalk and yet be unable to cross most of the rivers, even more so with a mech that looks built exactly for that task :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Studley
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Who fell asleep in the rain? Did you fall asleep in the rain? Yes you did. Oh yes you did.
mbmbmbmbmb
Borghal wrote:

I see what you're trying to say, but in the situation I was talking about, I was playing the faction with the boat-crawler mechs. Don't tell me they would have more trouble crossing a river and walking out onto a field than climbing a mountain or fitting between trees in a forest... Also, you can cross from any type of hex, so this adds to the nonsense feeling of this limit. Maybe I'll be able to get used to it and ignore it, but in the few turns I played it felt very annoying to have an option called riverwalk and yet be unable to cross most of the rivers, even more so with a mech that looks built exactly for that task :-)

I understand that everyone relates to theme in different ways and with a different level of intensity. What I will say is that having the riverwalk ability limited differently for the different factions adds a strategic element to the game that I would certainly miss. I hope you are able to find a way to look past it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spieler Gott
Germany
flag msg tools
Das ist ein ÜberBadge.
badge
Wow!
mbmbmbmbmb
My first impression:
I was at Essen and I played the game for a few rounds. I like "dudes on a map"-games like Kemet and Cyclades.

3 things that I didn't like:

-My first impression was that this game was more complex and too complex for me.

-I didn't like the resource aspect, because for me this is an layer too much. Why have different resources? And I think that opponents can steal your resources and you can fall back could lead to frustrations.

-I like more straightforward fighting. And it seems this game takes a little bit of time till you build up your machinery and till the action begins. And it is not a pure fighting game, more of an euro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broadbent
United States
Covington
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are certainly right that this is more of a euro-style game. The fighting can be ignored or emphasized, based on the play-group's preferences, but at its heart, the game is a euro style game and not a combat game.
That being said, I hope you give it a try. It is very enjoyable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Reaper wrote:
Kassanova wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:

You hit it on the head. I'm excited for this game for all those reasons, the same way I was excited for Gloom of Kilforth: A Fantasy Quest Game. I want the game to be successful and I like to discuss things that excite me. I've never met Jamey nor do I have any connection to Stonemaier Games, I'm just an enthusiastic Geek who's really looking forward to a great game from an incredible company!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.