United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
I've updated the profile page to have a "tabbed" right hand column.

The current profile page was getting bloated and very slow to calculate all that data. I will probably add some caching at some point, but right now it's all dynamic.

Let me know if I missed anything - I think I got it all, but my eyes are somewhat bleary today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
Umm the geekgold count seems somewhat off...

"Collected 184.64
Spent 1060.00
Balance -875.36"

I'm quite sure I haven't made that much GeekGold (I wish I had)

and I have certanly not spent that amount.

oh it works when I hit reload (well I think I still don't think I acctualy made that much geekgold but...)

Are others having this trouble? (oh and the google ads are freakin out that so the tabs are on two lines, but I did adblock them, just for that reason (look I want to suport the page as much as possible, some ads don't matter that much to me)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fee Weasel
United States
Lake Jackson
Texas
flag msg tools
…so do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
badge
...some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way...
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't see this post before I posted a new thread about GG being busted. it was right until the profile page was updated.

I do like the new page by the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
Just fixed the geekgold bug - also a geekbuddy count bug.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Lai
United States
Forest Hills
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
seems like everyone's games played count shows as 0, but when you click on the 0 it shows the correct data.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
laiernie wrote:
seems like everyone's games played count shows as 0, but when you click on the 0 it shows the correct data.

Fixed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying so hard not to complain, because you've had enough of that lately. Oh, I'm trying so hard, but..........I don't like it! I want to see my shiny thumbs without having to click a tab and I like clicking my forum replies so I can remember what conversations I was having and i like clicking other people's forum replies so I can see what conversations they've been having etc etc

This makes that a lot harder. boohoo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
Jatoha wrote:
I'm trying so hard not to complain, because you've had enough of that lately. Oh, I'm trying so hard, but..........I don't like it! I want to see my shiny thumbs without having to click a tab and I like clicking my forum replies so I can remember what conversations I was having and i like clicking other people's forum replies so I can see what conversations they've been having etc etc

I understand what you are saying, but the processing horsepower that is needed to build the entire page is just too much to bear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, given that I know nothing about computers, I'll take your word for it.

Would there be a chance that we could set our profile page up with modules, like the front page?

The trick with that would be getting everyone else to set theirs up the way I like it.......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W.
United States
Monessen
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Taoist, Pittsburgh Sports fan, and welcoming to people who are kind, from any walk of life.
badge
I have been playing games since the Atari 2600, Candy Land, Chuttes and Ladders, Go Fish, & the Apple ii. Supporting "the Geek" since 2006
mbmbmbmbmb
That redesign is slicker than snot on a doorknob.

Your efforts are appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Litzsinger
United States
Falcon Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also liked seeing everything else at once, oh well. Is there a way to pick which page you want it to display when you click on your profile? Modules would be cool too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also not a fan, but I understand the necessity. Can I second putting the thumb count on the main page, though?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim U
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Aldie wrote:
Let me know if I missed anything - I think I got it all, but my eyes are somewhat bleary today.

Where's the tips given and tips received ?

Thumbs up and Thumbs down are sweet and cute and all, but its the tips given and received that are the measure of a man. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gwen
Belgium
oost-vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The tag counter on my profile shows "0", but when I click on that "0" all the tags are showing up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Verdonck
Belgium
Edegem
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gwen wrote:
The tag counter on my profile shows "0", but when I click on that "0" all the tags are showing up.

I have the same problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim U
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Aldie wrote:
Little Jatoha wrote:
I'm trying so hard not to complain, because you've had enough of that lately. Oh, I'm trying so hard, but..........I don't like it! I want to see my shiny thumbs without having to click a tab and I like clicking my forum replies ... This makes that a lot harder. boohoo.

I understand what you are saying, but the processing horsepower that is needed to build the entire page is just too much to bear.

I don't know anything about your database, but for Little Jatoha's sake I have to speak up!

How about caching the calculated values in a user-profile table, invalidating these cached values whenever an operation would affect them, and only calculating invalidated values when the user's profile is visited?

This might be even cheaper AND Little Jatoha might be able to smile once again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
It's strange that when I go to 'My Geek' - the 'Games' tab is hilited. Especially considering that all that stuff that got moved is in 'My Geek'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Got no 'geekgold', and a lot of other stuff is missing from the profile. Guess I'll get used to ignoring all that stuff, like I used to do, way back when no one would respond to my emails. Some things never change.

I'm actually a smart guy. I have no flaming clue what is going on.

My gut tells me to go back mentally some years and this again becomes a resource for game aids and rules discussion. Which is still pretty cool.

...oh.

Now I see that secret hidden 'tab' I saw discussed, a brand new, different kind of tab from all the other tabs. Um, 'whatever', which isn't a complaint. Maybe if it looked like it might be the same sort of creature as those other tab things. I'm pleased that I happened to save a snapshot of my profile late today just before all this went down.

Yet another first hand account of someone trying to make sense of things.

Good luck with the work on the site!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stella M
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mind the clicking, but I'm not happy about the fact that I now have to sidescroll the profile page... soblue (sitting in front of a 12" laptop with a 1024x768 resolution) Other than that, I'm in the neutral to positive camp with regard to the changes... I can understand people's concerns though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Madeira
Portugal
Porto Salvo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:

Hmm, I have this buddy, user on my site, and there seems to be something wrong with his profile page. It shows a 0 instead of his name/avatar/geekbadges:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/%23nbs%23

His username is #nbs#.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konwacht
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done Aldie!

But I have one ask to you:

Would it be possible to change the system that way that the user might be able to "build" his profile in a way like you can already configure the main page? That you as the user are able to configure what parts / tables should be visible when opening the profile by "my geek" ? It´s a bit pity that you now have to click through the tabs rather than modificating what tables should be visible on th first site

Then it would be perfect to me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
ricmadeira wrote:

Hmm, I have this buddy, user on my site, and there seems to be something wrong with his profile page. It shows a 0 instead of his name/avatar/geekbadges:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/%23nbs%23

His username is #nbs#.

This is possible due to the trouble with mod_rewrite that has been talked about before (although the thread seems to have been deleted or something..). Well I think that is the trouble (code sees # as number and not as a textstring or something like that. Thus looking up the user 0 somehow?

Or?

Btw, I love the tabbed mygeek contents, Thank you Aldie, ( well once I had adblocked the full page that is (before that the linebreak did kind of make it uggly). It was a nesecary feature. Espacally if there is going to be builds with more statistics on the page. )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Aldie wrote:

It's too bad that the CPU load was becoming prohibitive for the entire page to be displayed in a single go. Shit happens sometimes, unfortunately.

One question though: will you Ajax it? Right now the entire page seems to be refreshed if I click on a tab---there's no bright red little thingie informing me that something is 'updating'. It would make the view a bit quieter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Konwacht wrote:
Would it be possible to change the system that way that the user might be able to "build" his profile in a way like you can already configure the main page?

I also considered this, but decided not to ask for it, as other people will see your profile too. It would become very confusing if those people saw your profile as you like it. This raises all sorts of questions about where to find particular content, and how such settings are applied in the first place. Best if we all got used to the tabs as they are, I think, otherwise the increased CPU load to figure it all out defeats the purpose of having such a tabbed system in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
Aldie wrote:
Jatoha wrote:

i was going to complain about this feature but i understand about computer programming. i would much prefer speed and efficiency then a having everything on one page. It might be a bit of a hassle at first to get used to clicking tabs but we will definatly benefit from better performance.

btw is just me or is BGG loading really slowly in recent times?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.