10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Queries and Problems

Subject: ARTIST NEEDED FOR A CARD GAME!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Refa-At Rahman
Canada
flag msg tools
I'm working on a card game for a kickstarter campaign and I have the cards designed and have play tested the game over and over and it works just fine, the only thing hold this project back for completion is artwork.

I'm looking for an artist who can draw in an anime style with cyber-punk and digital themes. I have talked to a lot of artists and they were all nice but charge way more then I can afford. My budget is only $3000 and I need 150 drawings. If there is anyone out there that can help, please let me know.

My game design email is:
raf@avant-gardegames.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
You should post in the Board Game Art and Graphic Design thread
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just be aware that your budget only pays an average of $20/drawing. That isn't much at all, so if you can't do any better, you're going to be limited in how much detail you will get, or you may end up with someone who is doing this part time - and likely suffer with long delays between drawings due to better paying work or schoolwork for the novices.

You'll see this same advice throughout the art forums too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Warrender
United States
Averill Park
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you absolutely need 150 unique illustrations? Maybe you could re-use some of the art on multiple cards, or could find a way to re-use elements of certain cards, e.g. the background scene or whatever.

If you're planning to KS the game, you could always push the goal higher to accommodate the artwork; maybe pay the $3k now to get, say, 30 pieces done, and plan to pay for the remaining 120 after the campaign ends, or make those pieces stretch goals (i.e., the base goal uses duplicative art and the stretch goal is for unique pieces on each card).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Osterman
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If all the artists you're contacting say they can't work for that price, odds are it's you, not them.

150 unique illustrations are a LOT of illustrations so if you're to kick starter with this game here's my advice:

Buy as few illustrations as you can get away with for the game. If you've got 10 School Girls in your deck, only buy 1 illustration and use the text on the card to say which girl is which. Or ask the artist to color the same line art a few different ways and save money there.

IF you're using action cards or something, try not having art on those. The game Cutthroat Caverns has no original art on their combat cards except for excerpts from the main core art.

Actually if you look at CutThroat, you see that they have VERY little original art in the game...

Then you turn around later and make your stretch goals to commission that artist to do more art work to be more unique throughout the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great advice by everyone on this thread already, so I just wanted to say listen to them all - minimise what you need to do, rather than trying to find an artist who will work for rates that are way below industry norms.

Also, what would help is if you put some examples of the style you're looking for, that would really help people see what you're looking for and find a fit.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Another possibility is posting your game in the Work In Progress Forum. If there is enough interest in the game people will do art/graphic design for free. I've had people help me on several projects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Knight
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
what we did was hire our artist and have him do up as much artwork as the 3K would pay for. You use that to help generate interest and build in the remainder of the art cost into the KS, but having some images is very important to show people what the finished product will look like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McCollum
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
The lowest price we could find for a good quality illustration was $100/illustration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Finch
Australia
Carindale
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
badge
My hat? Definitely not a mind-control alien, no.
mbmbmbmbmb
Another option that may work for your themes is to look at stock image libraries. You probably won't find a lot of anime there, but for the cyberpunk / digital side there are plenty of both abstract patterns (like the ICE in NetRunner) and specific imagery, people using computers, etc. Sometimes there are even reasonable quality cosplay-style shots that might fit your theme.

shutterstock.com is the one I mainly use; their per-image rates are much lower than the bigger name libraries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.