BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG General

Subject: thumbs down... counter intuitive? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering if anyone else found the thumbs down counter intuitive. I understand it is usefull for providing democratic censorship, but shouldn't thumbsdown be the opposite of thumbsup

I mean thumbsup means you like what some one is saying, you agree, or you generally support the opinion stated.

However if I am correct thumbsdown is not the opposite of this. It is used to express that a potential thread or post is offensive in some way, not just showing your disagreement. It also allows you not to see the thread.

Is this correct?
If it is this means that the thumbs up being presented (visually atleast) as opposite. This will undoubtedly lead to confusion. Anyway if it is meant to be the complete opposite of a thumbs up then just ignore this (or give me thumbs down).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    I agree with this. I liked the old thumbs up idea, as it was simple to understand and use. It indicated something useful. Thumbs-down is close, but not on the mark. I'd prefer the old thumbs-up to remain as it was, but also add a "bad kharma" rating as well, where you could simply mark a post as nasty instead of the opposite of valuable. It is likely that someone could receive both, and it might make sense that they not cancel out.

I also like seeing who else issued a thumbs-up to something I find profound or interesting. That seems to be gone now, and I think that lessens the feeling of community on the site.

Excellent post Colin. I'll give you a thumbs up that will tell other people to look here, unless someone cancels my thumb out.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks... I just kept getting the feeling it wasn't quite right and then it occured to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.