Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » Variants

Subject: Custom Hero - Glaze (with Card Art) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dark Current
msg tools
mbmb
UPDATE: 3/5/16

Glaze's deck is finalized! You can find individual .jpg files of her cards for online printing service (e.g. Printerstudio.com) on my google drive: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BygBoX3Z9iH1bGlvWnVpdTBfcm...

You can also find a deck 'walkthrough' video on my youtube channel for card descriptions and mechanic explanations:https://youtu.be/OgFFLd_bJXM

What follows is the original post for her deck. The card descriptions below are NOT the final versions of the cards. The final card text and art is only found on the card files linked above. I removed the pdf files of the card sheets as they were no longer up to date.

Here is the 2nd hero of Night Shield, Glaze. Her nemesis Vapyre has been posted for review. Glaze meanwhile has been play-tested by my group and seems pretty well-balanced, but your feedback and impressions are welcome as usual. She introduces a novel 'slow point' mechanic whereby her ice attacks put slow points on targets. She can then destroy these points to gain extra actions as outlined on her cards.

Several cards were tweaked with minor edits since this original posting to clarify source of damage and slow point mechanic. Major edits are noted below. The full color pdf file has the current card versions.

Teaser pics

Night brings the greatest threats to the world – power mad villains, evil sentient machines, ruthless terrorist masterminds. Standing against this dark tide are the heroes of Night Shield.

Glaze – Reformed criminal, product of cruel scientific experimentation and the latest member of Night Shield. A cross between Killer Frost and Jean Grey. She attacks her enemies with a combination of cryokinetic and psychic assaults. Her abilities are designed to numb her prey to their physical and mental cores, inhibiting their ability to fight.

Origin
Gloria Nguyen answered an ad for a research study being conducted at a local university. Why not? She’d make a few bucks, enough to keep her in weed for a couple weeks. Plus, there were bound to be some pills she could swipe to sell on the side. Little did she know the research was being run by a sadistic demoness with a passion for soul hybridization and a PhD in psychic reprogramming.

Gloria’s 20-year old body was pumped full of a mystical cocktail of pharmaceuticals and phylacteries. Her cells were transformed with spliced frost giant DNA. Her mind was twisted with visions of murder and chaos. After weeks of torture and reconditioning she was reborn as Glaze, a cryokinetic killer.

And she was not alone. Dozens of other volunteers had been corrupted, each twisted into horrific versions of themselves by cursed magic and cruel science. Each of them were held in cages while demons masqueraded in their bodies carrying on with their hosts’ lives, luring more innocents to the conversion process. The demoness doctor controlled her creations, sending them into the world to hunt hexed artifacts and murder mortals who investigated them.

Glaze rose to the top of her cohort, earning the trust of the doctor. But the brutality and ferocity with which she took to her assigned tasks was a ruse. Glaze secretly bided her time, building her strength and skill to the point when she could strike back. She used her powers to break free of her prison. She battled her jailer, destroyed the lab and brought down many of the twisted freaks that were once her fellow patients. During the battle however, the doctor vanished leaving Glaze to take her rage out on the remaining demons.

In the aftermath, rather than keeping her presence hidden, Glaze prowled the city in search of her tormentor and a possible cure to her mutations. Which is what brought her to the attention of Dark Current. The Midnight Avenger investigated the university lab’s destruction, looking for similarities to what happened to her own research facility two years earlier. She tracked Glaze down and their encounter turned ugly. Each mistook the other for the source of their respective misery and they battled like titans in the streets and on the rooftops of the city. It wasn’t until exhaustion and blood loss slowed each enough that they came to realize they were kindred spirits destined to defend the world by any means necessary.

Powers
Glaze has the ability to control ice and lower temperatures using her mind alone. Her psychic abilities give her the ability to directly assault a target’s mind as well as project icy manifestations with which she can attack or disable an opponent. Her ultimate ability is to project a reanimated version of the dead frost giant, Brother J as she calls him, with which she shares DNA and a soul.

Her projections are short-lived though as they require a constant input of psychic energy to offset their own entropic nature. However, the biting cold of her projections and numbing slap of her psychic assaults are enough to slow most enemies to a crawl before her projections collapse. In their vulnerable state is when she puts her prey on permanent ice.

Glaze’s Deck

Character Card
HP: 26
Title: Ice Breaker
Power: Brain Freeze. Deal 1 psychic + X cold damage to a target where x = the number of its slow points you destroy.

Incapacitated:
Deal one target 1 psychic damage.
Discard the top card of the villain deck.
One hero may play a card now.

Promo Card
HP: 27
Title: Slippery Slope
Power: Cool Under Pressure. Destroy a target’s slow points. When that target next deals damage, you may play 1 card per destroyed point.

Incapacitated:
One hero may use a power now.
One hero may search their deck for a card and put it into their hand.
Reveal the top card of any deck.

40 Cards:
Title
Keyword
Description
Count

Brother J. (10 HP)
Cryokinetic Projection
At the end of your turn, this card deals 1 target 2 melee and 2 cold damage.
Reduce fire and cold damage dealt to this card by 1.
At the start of your turn, you deal this card 2 irreducible psychic damage.
Decreased damage from 3 and 3, as the card was fairly OP doing that much dmg for potentially 5 turns.

Ice Sword (5 HP)
Cryokinetic Projection
Power: deal up to 3 targets 1 melee and 1 cold damage each, then add a slow point to each. Place a slow point on each.For each target that already has a slow point, you may play an additional card.
At the start of your turn, you deal this card 1 irreducible psychic damage.

Ice Pick Cold-Hearted(3 HP)
Cryokinetic Projection
Power: deal one target 2 melee and 2 cold damage., plus 1 slow point. Place a slow point on that target. If the target already has a slow point, you may use an additional power.
At the start of your turn, you deal this card 1 irreducible psychic damage.
Renamed to reduce confusion with other Ice named cards.

Glacier Glaciation(3 HP)
Cryokinetic Projection, Limited
The villain character card gains a slow point, and has no text until the start of your next turn. Place a slow point on the villain character card. That card has no text until the start of your next turn.
At the start of your turn, you can either deal yourself or this card 3 irreducible psychic damage.
New title better fits artwork and card concept.

Ice Slick (3 HP)
Cryokinetic Projection, Limited
The 3 non-hero targets with the lowest HP cannot do any damage until the start of your next turn. reduce the damage of the 3 non-hero targets with the lowest HP by 1 until the start of your next turn.
At the start of your turn, you can either deal yourself or this card 3 irreducible psychic damage.

Mind Lance
one shot
Deal one target 3 psychic damage.
The next time that target deals damage to a different target, it deals itself an equivalent amount of irreducible psychic damage.
This target deals itself as much damage with its next attack as it does to its target.
On its next turn, if that target deals any other target damage, it also deals itself an equivalent amount of irreducible psychic damage.

Clarified damage type, slight buff with irreducible to represent that Glaze has 'staked' her claim on the target's mind, but limited and simplified effectiveness to next round only so it wouldn't be necessary to track this effect beyond that point.

Psychic Shockwave
one shot
Destroy all of your cryokinetic projections.
You may either do X + 3 psychic damage to one target or do 1 psychic damage to X + 3 targets where X = the number of destroyed projections.

Psychic Scream
one shot
Up to three targets take 2 psychic damage each.Deal up to three targets from the same deck 2 psychic damage each.
Discard the top card of their source deck.
You may search your trash for a card other than this oneand put it into your hand.
Clarified this card could not be selected as it potentially creates an endless replay loop.

Block of Ice
one shot
Deal one 2 cold damage.
Add 3 slow points to the target.
That target cannot do damage until the start of your next turn.

Scrambled Thoughts
one shot
Return all non-hero cards in a hero’s play area to the bottom of their source deck(s).
That hero takes 1 irreducible psychic damage and may draw a card.

Select a deck. Return all cards not in that deck’s play area to the bottom that deck.
If a hero deck is chosen, that hero may take 1 irreducible psychic damage and place the cards on top of their deck in any order.

Bipolar Vortex
one shot
Each hero may discard their hand and replace it with an equal number of cards drawn randomly from their deck.
Any player who opts not to discard takes 1 irreducible psychic damage from this card and has their next damage increased by 1.

All players may discard their hand and replace it with an equal number of cards drawn from the bottom of their deck.
Deal any hero who keeps their hand 1 irreducible psychic damage. Increase that hero’s next damage by 1.

Mental Blast
one shot
One target takes 1 psychic damage.
Move a card from their trash to the bottom of their deck. Draw a card.
Deal one target 1 psychic damage.
Search that target’s trash for a card and place it on the bottom of its deck.
You may draw a card.

Subdue
one shot
Deal a non-character target 2 psychic damage. If the target has less than 1/2 of its starting HP, you may take control of the card that card becomes part of your deck until the start of your next turn.
Resolve the subdued card’s effects at the end of your turn, changing its target references as you see fit.

Flash Freeze
Ongoing
While this card is in play, you may draw an extra card during your draw phase.
Power: after your turn ends, skip all other decks’ turns and play yours again. Then, destroy this card.

Bone Chill
Ongoing
Select a deck. Until the start of your next turn, that deck may only play 1 card. place this card in front of a deck. that deck may play a maximum of 1 card during its turn. For each card prevented from entering play, you may draw a card.
At the start of your turn, destroy this card and add 2 slow points to all targets from that deck.

Cryostatic Field
Ongoing, limited
Reduce environment damage by 1.
Power: discard 2 cards to skip the environment deck’s turn and add 1 slow point to all environment targets.

Hibernation
ongoing, limited
One-shot
Place a hero character card incapacitated side up beneath this card. That card has no text and the hero must discard / destroy all of their cards. For each card removed, they regain 2 HP.
At the start of your turn, destroy this card and the hibernating hero returns to the play area with the top card of their deck.

Select a hero. That player destroys all of their non-character cards and discards their hand. For each card destroyed or discarded in this way, that character regains 2 HP.
Until the start of your next turn, that character is immune to damage and cannot play cards or use powers.

Went with Flat's recommendation on this card. It's simpler and cleaner that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael Genereux
msg tools
i don't get the point of Bipolar Vortex it sound like a like its a punishment ether discard your hand (witch could be good) or take damage, this is a card i would hold on to just to discard.
Hibernation should read
Place a hero character card that is incapacitated side up beneath this card. That card has no text and the hero may remove from the game any number oftheir cards. For each card removed, they regain 2 HP. At the start of your turn, destroy this card and the hibernating hero returns to the play area with the top card of their deck.
since when you are incapacitated all your cards get taken off the play area.(or at least that's how we play) also should you start out with more cards?
other then that she seem a little op but not intent winnable just because she is being played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dark Current
msg tools
mbmb
1) Bipolar Vortex is an odd card. It's supposed to be a double-edged sword, so some good with some bad swirling with uncertainty. It's basically a 'I hate my hand / restart button' card. But if you like your hand, then you can keep it. But there's good and bad with that as well.. you take a spot of damage from the psychic chaos Glaze unleashed, yet get a damage boost to take your frustrations out on your enemy.

It's a situational card for sure, so you could very well not play it and not miss it. I put a couple in her deck just for the oddity of it, which matches her personality. But if there's a deficit with her deck in another area, like maybe she needs more damage options, then I could replace it.

So if you have any thoughts on what else she could use instead of Bipolar Vortex, let me know and I'll take a closer look.

2) For hibernation, the intent is that it's usable on characters still in game, NOT on incapacitated. It's a heal card, not a resuscitation. Is the wording confusing?

The way I want it to work is: one of Glaze's teammates is low on health, so she plays hibernation, putting them temporarily out of play by making them untargetable (incapacitated side up). While hibernating, the hero can rest up and regain HP. Thus they have to trash all their cards in play and in hand. For each card, they get 2 HP back.

So they're basically trading all their cards for a large heal. Do you think it should be optional on the number of cards? I don't necessarily have a problem with that, but I thought it might be too 'easy' that way to get a big heal.

So instead I thought it best to force the card replacement and to include a recovery penalty where they come out with only 1 card... but maybe it needs to be more cards? Not sure about 4 fresh cards. I think the idea of them being lean and hungry comes to mind. After hibernating, I can see that character skipping right to their draw phase to 'eat' (gain 2 cards).

I like some of your wording so I'm looking at this revamp:

Select a hero with 1+ HP. Place their character card beneath this card, incapacitated side up. That card has no text and the hero must place their hand and cards in play into their trash. For each card removed, they regain 2 HP. At the start of your turn, destroy this card and the hibernating hero returns to the play area with the top two cards of their deck.

Would that make it clear the hero must still be in play (has HP) to be affected? Also, they have to sacrifice all their cards to get a large heal. They're also removed from the game for one of Glaze's full turns. When they come back, they have 2 fresh cards to start with, so they can reenter the action immediately, but with limited capacity.

Not sure the reward is worth the payoff though. Haven't seen this card played in the games I tested her with, so could use some more playtest feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael Genereux
msg tools
i see what you wanted with hibernation now i would go with the rewrite you have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dark Current
msg tools
mbmb
Ok, good. I figured we were just having a disconnect on intention vs. interpretation.

Do you have any thoughts on the slow point mechanic? I'm wanting that to be the signature feature of this deck. She hits targets with her ice attacks, then can destroy the slow points those attacks place on targets to increase her abilities (typically more plays or draws to simulate a change in speed between her and the target).

It's probably hard to evaluate that without playing the deck. I've only tested this latest version of her once, so I'm not sure the slow mechanic is where it should be. Her original version was weak on the slow points (they didn't do much / make much difference), so I made them more prevalent with these cards.

Thanks for your feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael Genereux
msg tools
the slow point system sounds like setbacks unlucky tokens with a twist. i think when i get ink i'll print this out and see how it works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dark Current
msg tools
mbmb
Much appreciated.

I updated the first post with links to the black and white pdf file for faster playtest printing, as well as all the individual card files for 3rd party printer services.

Hibernation card is updated as well. Text was tweaked again from my last post. I'll post if anything else changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kratz
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glacier and Ice Slick need some rewording. It isn't clear when you say the start of your next turn, what is meant. Is it when the card is played, and then the effect ends whether or not the card is in play? If the card is destroyed due to its text at the start of turn does the effect remain until the start of your next turn? As written either interpretation could potentially be correct (more likely the former), but that clearly isn't what you want.

I think I see what you are trying to do - correct me if I'm wrong.

The turn you play the card, the effect takes place, even if the card is destroyed. Any subsequent turns require you to take 3 irreducible damage to keep the effect in play (assuming nothing else has destroyed the card). One solution might be to give the effect an end of turn trigger to start the effect. Something like at the end of your turn [effect] until the start of your next turn. This would make them less powerful if played out of turn, but really, this character a bit OP to begin with.

Another potential solution is to just get rid of the "until the start of the next turn". This would mean that if the card is destroyed, the effect goes away immediately, but lowering the power level of this hero doesn't concern me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dark Current
msg tools
mbmb
When you play a card, that phase comes after the start of your turn. So the 'start of turn' damage / destruction wouldn't occur until her next turn. They could potentially be destroyed before then by other players, the environment, and / or villain. But the intent is they have their effect, it stays around until Glaze's next turn begins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hibernation wrote:
Hibernation
ongoing, limited
Place a hero character card incapacitated side up beneath this card. That card has no text and the hero must discard / destroy all of their cards. For each card removed, they regain 2 HP.
At the start of your turn, destroy this card and the hibernating hero returns to the play area with the top card of their deck.

There's a few nuances and perhaps even problems with this card, as written.

Maybe the worst is that if Hibernation is destroyed before the start of Glaze's turn, the hibernating character card remains incapacitated. The rule that blanks it will go away, so that player can still use the incapacitated abilities at this point, but it is a heavy price to pay for an effect that already hurts the player so much when used properly.

Using this on the Sentinels is absolutely debilitating. You'd put any one of their character cards under this and the rest are destroyed!

There seems to be no actual reason to move the character card at all. There also doesn't seem to be much reason to flip it over, either. Eliminating both commands not only saves text space, but it helps to prevent odd, unintended occurrences, if something unexpected should happen, like Hibernation being destroyed prematurely.

I suggest:

Select a hero character card. That player destroys all of their non-character cards and discards their hand. For each card destroyed or discarded in this way, that character regains 2 HP. Until the start of your next turn, that character is immune to damage and cannot use powers.

Hibernation can simply be a One-Shot this way, works on Glaze (therefore, isn't a dead card when all friends are already incpacitated), and doesn't need to start the player off with a draw, since the player is almost certain to draw 2 cards for his or her next turn. Meanwhile, the character is still a target, so it can draw fire away from the rest, despite being relatively unaffected by it.

If you are concerned about other interactions, such as Sky-Scraper telling the hibernating hero to deal damage, or playing a card that was drawn out-of-turn by Legacy, Visionary, Tachyon, etc., then you can simply add "play cards, or deal damage" after "cannot use powers" but I'd leave it, since allowing such may involve more interesting possibilities for this effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dark Current
msg tools
mbmb
FlatOnHisFace wrote:
Hibernation wrote:
Hibernation
ongoing, limited

There's a few nuances and perhaps even problems with this card, as written.

Maybe the worst is that if Hibernation is destroyed before the start of Glaze's turn, the hibernating character card remains incapacitated. The rule that blanks it will go away, so that player can still use the incapacitated abilities at this point, but it is a heavy price to pay for an effect that already hurts the player so much when used properly.

Using this on the Sentinels is absolutely debilitating. You'd put any one of their character cards under this and the rest are destroyed!

There seems to be no actual reason to move the character card at all. There also doesn't seem to be much reason to flip it over, either. Eliminating both commands not only saves text space, but it helps to prevent odd, unintended occurrences, if something unexpected should happen, like Hibernation being destroyed prematurely.

I suggest:

Select a hero character card. That player destroys all of their non-character cards and discards their hand. For each card destroyed or discarded in this way, that character regains 2 HP. Until the start of your next turn, that character is immune to damage and cannot use powers.

Hibernation can simply be a One-Shot this way, works on Glaze (therefore, isn't a dead card when all friends are already incpacitated), and doesn't need to start the player off with a draw, since the player is almost certain to draw 2 cards for his or her next turn. Meanwhile, the character is still a target, so it can draw fire away from the rest, despite being relatively unaffected by it.

If you are concerned about other interactions, such as Sky-Scraper telling the hibernating hero to deal damage, or playing a card that was drawn out-of-turn by Legacy, Visionary, Tachyon, etc., then you can simply add "play cards, or deal damage" after "cannot use powers" but I'd leave it, since allowing such may involve more interesting possibilities for this effect.

Those are some good points on hibernate. I think the main reason I wanted the card flip was to create a new mechanic that fit with the idea of being temporarily 'dead'. However, as you point out, that can create problems, so I don't think it's worth the trade off just for some novelty.

I'll look into it some more to see if there's a happy medium, but I think you're right and I could just simplify it and the card would still do what it's meant to do: heal some points while the hero is temporarily out of the game.

Thanks for the feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dark Current
msg tools
mbmb
Changed Hibernation text and made it a one-shot as per Flat's recommendation. Haven't uploaded the new card file yet, though.

Delaying that a bit as I'm considering changing a couple of the card names to give the deck more 'character'.

Updates should be finished in the next few days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dark Current
msg tools
mbmb
Final update of 2015 for Glaze

I finished the edits and revised all of her cards. The complete deck .pdf file and individual card files have been reposted. Their links can be found in the original post for anyone interested in printing these cards for themselves or for uploading to an online card printer.

This completes the Night Shield hero team. The other four heroes have also had their deck and individual card files updated in their original posts:

Dark Current
Resonator
Roll Call
Twilight

Thanks to everyone who contributed. I'm submitting the decks for printing to take advantage of the current Printerstudio sale. I'll let you all know how they look when they arrive!

Happy holidays!

Here's my PS order link http://www.printerstudio.com/products/pro_project_render.asp... for anyone looking to print. It also includes the other half of The Ant deck from the Freedom Force fan expansion, as well as Cold Current's 1st edition cards (those have been updated subsequent to this post so visit the Cold Current custom villain thread for the latest card files!). However, you can edit the above order for your own purposes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad S.
United States
flag msg tools
How did the final printed cards turn out? I was looking to put together an order at Printerstudio soon and wanted to include your very cool Night Shield and WWD cards. I know Printerstudio has a tendency to print darker than usual - did the printed Night Shield cards come out okay?

B

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dark Current
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for your interest in the Night Shield and WWD!

The original images for the Night Shield heroes were all on the dark side. The ones I have for the WWD villains (not yet posted due to ongoing play testing) are much better. You can see the difference between the Glaze cards (original print) and Dark Current cards (brighter reprint) if you watch those two decks' walkthrough videos.

I've fixed the brightness issue on the older hero cards and reprinted a couple for my collection, but haven't fully updated the files on the google drive. Of note, while adjusting the coloring I'm making a few tweaks to some text for clarification / balancing purposes and I haven't made my final passes on Twilight, Resonator and Roll Call yet.

My plan is for a big reveal of the final cards in the next month. This will also include the release of the 5 custom environments (lairs) that round out this expansion. Three of them are finished at this time, but the other 2 are still in the design stage. My main focus is on releasing these first, then completing the final edits of hero / villain decks.

So I would suggest you hold off a bit before pulling the trigger on printing my customs. However, if you need a filler for an order you want to make now, then my hero decks are about 95% there. Just make sure you up the brightness through PS by 10-20% and be open to reprinting a few at a later date to match the final changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad S.
United States
flag msg tools
Thanks very much for the update and info. I'll hold off until you've got the complete finished set released. Definitely looking forward to getting the decks to the table - in particular Roll Call and Resonator from the heroes and Poker Face and Stibium Black from the villains look especially neat. Keep up the great work,

B

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.