Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Rae
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Introduction – Battle line is the saviour of every boy that has ever wanted to command an army. It allows you to stand back from the table and imagine that you are a general pulling the strings in an epic battle.

Well maybe that is a little too grand, but a game of battle line definitely puts you in the seat of a stratgeist facing off against a enemy of unknown force.

Rating

Theme - The setting is an ancient near east battle complete with hoplites and elephants and all sorts of period weaponry. The box and pictures help to emmerse you in the theme of the game and a layman can accept that the nine flags which represent the battle line are a good representation. Winning conditions reflect the physical placement of troops on the line so that three capturing three adjacent flags representing busting the line. In this respect the game mechanics also reflect the theme. An excellent job. ☺☺☺☺☺

Art - The cards which make up most of the components feature have colours that you would have to call ‘interesting’ to be polite, but featuring period pictures. The troops featured in the cards are depicted in art that resembles the period and this adds to the flavour. The backs and the box both remind you of the roman empire with harsh lines and sharp corners that suit the game. The art is nothing special but it suits the theme perfectly and helps produce an integrated product. ☺☺☺☺

Mechanics – As with many two player games this is a simple affair. Play cards onto your side of the flags and when it is determined that the strength of your cards is greater than the strength of your opponents the flag is claimed. Evaluating strength is very easy and the addition of tactics cards allows several tactical skill elements to apply. There is a reasonable amount of luck involved in what cards you obtain later in the game but good play will mitigate against this. This luck also matches well to the theme ☺☺☺☺☺

Longeivity – Some reviews have suggested that after10 or 20 plays the game loses interest. But many others support the notion that it has a long shelf life and the ‘yeahs’ seem to far outweigh the ‘neighs’. Most games have a ceiling where you discover all the tactical principles and the game dies upon that discover. I suspect battle line will be like that, but not for a much greater number of plays that that. As you get better you decrease your reliance on luck and begin to take advantage of the opportunities your cards provide you. Different playing bring their own style to the game and a new player is always a new challenge. I would suggest that battleline will go the distance so long as you don’t play it into the ground with another player. Vary your opponents anddon’t play large multiple sets and you will enjoy this game for many years to come. ☺☺☺☺

My BGG Rating - 9

Tactical tips

The key question in battle line is not usually ‘what do I want to play’ but rather ‘what don’t I want to play’. It is very rare in the early game to have coloured runs to play and you are left with seven cards that you DON’T want to play. SO it is really the game of what not to play than what to play.

With tactics cards it takes two to tango. A game will most commonly have very few cards played or many cards played a rarely something in between. The rule that restricts a player to playing one more than his opponent give the player to play second the choice ion how he will respond. If she chooses to respond to a tactics card with one or two of her own then they become a feature. If instead she holds back from playing then the opponent cannot take any further advantage.

Conclusion

Battleline is a great product to pull out for a medium filler. It is not a 10 minute game but neither does it drag on long into valuable gaming time. Although the art won’t have a box standing in a famous art museum any time soon it is a wonderfully themed product. The mechanics, the art and the feel of the game all say battle line and I love how it fits together. That said this tends to be one for boys not the girls (in general) but you can expect many happy hours gaming ahead and this game will be an excellent compliment to any collection. There will always be a time and a place for battleline!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At one point I played 16 straight games in an evening with a friend of mine. We were at it pretty much all night. What a great time! If anything, I find playing with the same player repeatedly makes the games even more tense as you attempt to predict your opponent's tendencies (how infrequently or frequently they like using tactics cards, etc). Once you become familiar with each other you get into mindgames like trying to confuse your opponent as to your own tendencies. I've got in 50+ games now total and I still can't play this enough. I go through stages where luck seems to dominate and one player or another wins lopsidedly, and that's not much fun... but thankfully those don't happen very often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.