25 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Best civ light game for two players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: civ [+] [View All]
Steve Austin
Canada
flag msg tools
Thinking about 'the golden age'. Anyone have any better recommendations for two, that don't take more than two hours to play? Complex is fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Polis: Fight for the Hegemony

See ►here for a brief rundown on its core concepts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Peepser wrote:
Thinking about 'the golden age'. Anyone have any better recommendations for two, that don't take more than two hours to play?

No.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Austin
Canada
flag msg tools
Kyur wrote:
Polis: Fight for the Hegemony

See ►here for a brief rundown on its core concepts.

Yes. Forgot to mention I was also considering this one! Have already watched the two hour video.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Stewart
Macao
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nations can be played in under two hours with two players. It is a pretty fun civ game if you are more interested in the economic side of civ-building than military.

If you want something more confrontational, I'd highly recommend Forbidden Stars. While it might seem like a strange game to suggest in this topic, it is basically a war-based civ game, complete with city-building and tech trees. It can also be played in about two hours with two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Belcher
Australia
New Norfollk
Tasmania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guns & Steel

Handbuilding but feels like civ-light.

Otherwise it's hard to go past Clash of Cultures
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Moyer
United States
Stafford
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it by not dying. -Woody Allen
mbmbmbmbmb
For super-light there is always Roll Through The Ages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
how many X's do you need for this civ game you are looking for?
3x? 4x?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ropearoni4 wrote:
3x? 4x?

Would you mind answering both? I'm looking for the same type(I think) as the OP and I can't decide between 3x and 4x also, not that I've actually seen a difference but I assume 3x will go over better with the people I play with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders Duel!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E M
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about the new CVlizations? Seems pretty light to me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Smith
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Antike Duellum
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asaf Fabbi
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
Proud member of the Cult of the New.
badge
The King of Meeples
mbmbmbmbmb
Mega Civilization. Do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rockwell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ropearoni4 wrote:
3x? 4x?

I struggled to find any 3X games previously... I would be interested to hear these as well. The X I would like to avoid would be eXtermination

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Logan
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pancakemetro wrote:

I came to recommend this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
papagamer72 wrote:
ropearoni4 wrote:
3x? 4x?

I struggled to find any 3X games previously... I would be interested to hear these as well. The X I would like to avoid would be eXtermination

Looking at the Splotter titles, you will find 3x for most - but they are not short, but shorter than full on Civ.

civs that may or may not work for you:
Tempus
Nations
Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization
Neuland
The Settlers of the Stone Age if you count it.
Small World

How much is battling needed to enjoy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Austin
Canada
flag msg tools
AFABBI wrote:

Not for two players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Austin
Canada
flag msg tools
Matt Logan wrote:
pancakemetro wrote:

Seems to lack replay ability. No variable map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Peepser wrote:
Matt Logan wrote:
pancakemetro wrote:

This is why I got rid of it after only a few plays. It was the same thing over and over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Münster
NRW
flag msg tools
Hidden trackable information in games sucks!
badge
I play games for fun and pursuing the goal to win the game is fun! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt Logan wrote:
pancakemetro wrote:

Same here!
I don't think Antike Duellum lacks replayability. I have played around 90 games of it so far and would still love to play more. As for the lack of a variable map, it at least has two different maps (Mediterranean for Carthaginians vs. Romans on the one side and Aegean for Greeks vs. Persians on the other side).
But as with all games, it is ultimately a matter of taste, of course.
If you want to give it a shot, you can try it out for free online at Yucata.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Logan
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
Peepser wrote:
Matt Logan wrote:
pancakemetro wrote:

This is why I got rid of it after only a few plays. It was the same thing over and over.

This is an interesting take you have. You rate Hansa Teutonica very highly (which is another awesome game), and it has a static board. To me, these games are comparable in that the strategy and replayability comes from player interaction and the every changing board state. The opening rounds in both these games can feel samey, but if you are not careful they will be your undoing. That's what I like in a game. However, I totally understand that tastes differ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt Logan wrote:
thedacker wrote:
Peepser wrote:
Matt Logan wrote:
pancakemetro wrote:

This is an interesting take you have. You rate Hansa Teutonica very highly (which is another awesome game), and it has a static board. To me, these games are comparable in that the strategy and replayability comes from player interaction and the every changing board state. The opening rounds in both these games can feel samey, but if you are not careful they will be your undoing. That's what I like in a game. However, I totally understand that tastes differ.

And Hansa Teutonica is a terrible 2-player game.

It's the multi-player experience that gives HT its variability. What's more, HT has a myriad of options for every player, every turn, without restrictions (other than the other players' placements, and even then, the game has a built-in way to remove those at a benefit to the impacted player). In HT, you're not "guided" to do any actions. You can do whatever you want. The same can't be said for AD, because of the rondel.

These are the reasons I find HT much more replayable than AD. It's more than just the map issue. It's the map, the 2-player limit, the limited paths to victory, and the rondel all combined.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik R.
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to Polis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Logan
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
Matt Logan wrote:
thedacker wrote:
Peepser wrote:
Matt Logan wrote:
pancakemetro wrote:

And Hansa Teutonica is a terrible 2-player game.

It's the multi-player experience that gives HT its variability. What's more, HT has a myriad of options for every player, every turn, without restrictions (other than the other players' placements, and even then, the game has a built-in way to remove those at a benefit to the impacted player). In HT, you're not "guided" to do any actions. You can do whatever you want. The same can't be said for AD, because of the rondel.

These are the reasons I find HT much more replayable than AD. It's more than just the map issue. It's the map, the 2-player limit, the limited paths to victory, and the rondel all combined.

HT is suboptimal at 2 because the board is so big. It has no more options than AD. Play a cube. I could argue that you have more to do in AD. Yeah, if you don't like two player games, I agree that you shouldn't buy a two player only game. And if you think AD has limited paths to victory you probably didn't play it enough. However, if you plain didn't like it I get it. I just think you're a little off on the "why".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously, you do not just "play a cube" in Hansa Teutonica. If that's how you want to look at it, I would claim all you do in AD is "move a pawn". Because you are choosing to see things in such a shallow way, I'll disengage about the game play.

FWIW, my "why" doesn't have to align with your opinions. And my reasons for not liking a game are never "off" to me. I would never try to tell you your preferences or lack thereof are "off" because I recognize they're your opinions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.