Hide
11 Posts

Archipelago» Forums » Variants

Subject: How we play archipelago rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simeon Genkov
msg tools
Hello I want to share with you guys the way we play archipelago, it is a minor adjustment but very important in my opinion. I have read many complains from people that sometimes when one or more of the players don't like what is happening in the game or how the game is going for them they try to intentionally make all players lose you would say that there is a chance that there will be the "traitor" guy and he will win, well in those cases it's fine but in all those other cases which mostly happen to us that there is no traitor. The game can be intentionally ruined and noone wins. What we do is when we pick the hidden roles we draw from 6 cards if we are 4 players or 7 cards if we are 5 and respectively for 2 or 3. Also we make sure that in those 4,5,6,7 cards there is the "traitor" card so that the chances of someone getting it are high enough that people don't try to intentionally break the game so noone wins.
Sorry for the long post
TL;DR When chosing roles chose from 4/5/6/7 cards for 2/3/4/5 players and make sure you put the "traitor" card in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way we avoid this problem is by playing with people who share our point of view about playing games. Always play to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freierfall Sonnenflieger
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gohrns wrote:
The way we avoid this problem is by playing with people who share our point of view about playing games. Always play to win.

It was discussed here often enough: Playing to win in Archipelago might include blackmailing other players to give you stuff or otherwise threaten to tank the game. If one player at one point has the power to tank the game you are already doing it wrong: It means they'd be able to instantly win if they were the separatist. Its basically Checkmate. You never want one single player to have such an opportunity.
If the one player behind has to "work" several rounds to tank the game all the other players have time to stop this from happening spending the resources that placed them (seemingly) in the lead in the first place.

Edit: @TO
I like your variant. Small change to increase the chance of having a traitor in the game, so that it's more likely to happen then not. I'll try that out (although I don't have mentioned problems in most of my sessions)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
si Mon
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's probably better to play without the separatist for introducary plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rollo Tomosi
United States
San Juan Capistrano
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
House-rule Version #: 109162810037

Collect the entire set!!

AngryWeaseL wrote:
Hello I want to share with you guys the way we play archipelago, it is a minor adjustment but very important in my opinion. I have read many complains from people that sometimes when one or more of the players don't like what is happening in the game or how the game is going for them they try to intentionally make all players lose you would say that there is a chance that there will be the "traitor" guy and he will win, well in those cases it's fine but in all those other cases which mostly happen to us that there is no traitor. The game can be intentionally ruined and noone wins. What we do is when we pick the hidden roles we draw from 6 cards if we are 4 players or 7 cards if we are 5 and respectively for 2 or 3. Also we make sure that in those 4,5,6,7 cards there is the "traitor" card so that the chances of someone getting it are high enough that people don't try to intentionally break the game so noone wins.
Sorry for the long post
TL;DR When chosing roles chose from 4/5/6/7 cards for 2/3/4/5 players and make sure you put the "traitor" card in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simeon Genkov
msg tools
si Mon I am not talking about introductory play and the tanking you rae talking about is ok and normal I am talking for intentional breaking of the game for example he is the last player his units are on the ground he has resourses but doesnt stand them on purpose in order for everyone to lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
si Mon
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
i get what you are saying. It's just that it could complicate the game if there is a separatist in it so it's not a variant for every group. Tanking the game is not nice. In another game (melee) there is a rule that you can't move anymore if there is no way for you to win. It avoids kingmaking. I would suggest to tease the tanking player: try to not be last at least !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AngryWeaseL wrote:
for example he is the last player his units are on the ground he has resourses but doesnt stand them on purpose in order for everyone to lose.

If one player is threatening to not stand up his rebels, the other players should be offering him a bribe to do so (money, resources, exploration tokens, favors, etc.). If the bribe is big enough, he will want to keep playing because now he has a better chance to win.

If you think you are winning the game, how much are you willing to pay to keep playing? That's the question that makes the game most interesting to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Vail
United States
Brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How would one know they are losing to begin with? ALL but ONE scoring objective is known?? What would be happening in game that the player would be unhappy about? Maybe it is just me but to even play a game where someone has the mentality of "crybaby" if I can't win, no one will win, I would NEVER play another board game with that person again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
It's threads like this that make me really appreciate the people I play games with. I don't play with game buddies. I don't game at the local comic shop. I play with my friends. None of my friends would be a big enough dick to do something like this.

I never have to worry about people targeting others for kicks. I don't have to worry about people throwing games because they are upset. I don't have to worry about the silly "alpha player" nonsense. It's beautiful.

There are so many complaints that people throw at a game when really the complaint should be thrown at the players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kellen Feral
United States
Los Angeles - Mar Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
One Eternal Round
mbmbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:
It's threads like this that make me really appreciate the people I play games with. I don't play with game buddies. I don't game at the local comic shop. I play with my friends. None of my friends would be a big enough dick to do something like this.

I never have to worry about people targeting others for kicks. I don't have to worry about people throwing games because they are upset. I don't have to worry about the silly "alpha player" nonsense. It's beautiful.

There are so many complaints that people throw at a game when really the complaint should be thrown at the players.

It sounds like you and your friends don't know how to Play Archipelago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.