Small World: Be Not Afraid...» Forums » Reviews

Subject: A 5 star addition - Be Not Afraid rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
Be Not Afraid is a great addition to Small World and provides several new races, powers, and a nice case to hold it all. If you are delving into the world of expansions for Small World, this one is the best bang for your buck, and probably the best executed.

There is a slathering of new ability types included in this expansion which work quite well in conjunction with everything else. The Barbarians are a literal horde, but cannot plan well (redeploy). Leprechauns hide pots of gold everywhere, The longer Homunculi wait the more are lab bred, while pygmies seemingly pop out of the ground, continually reinforcing themselves. Heck, you may even find a lone pixie (any other type is not allowed).

From the power side we have corrupt, whenever you are conquered you have to be paid by the other player, barricade, strongly fortified regions net you extra money, and imperial, the more you hold, the more you get (kind of like Merchant for 4+ territories only). We also get catapults (conquer 2 away with ease!) and mercenaries (pay me and I'll punch things), what is not to love.

While the list above is not inclusive, I feel this one adds a lot of neat aspects to the game, without upsetting everything. I recommend this expansion as a no-brainer extension to Small World if you enjoy it. There are no power creep issues with this expansion, and it integrates naturally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A P
Wales
Newport
Other
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
There are no power creep issues with this expansion, and it integrates naturally.

This is the only one of the expansion sets I've tried with Small World, so I can't comment on how it compares with the others, but I very much disagree with this. In my experience the extra races in this expansion are almost always a better pick than any of the original races, generally because you get more of them. You can easily find yourself picking up 14+ Pixies or Barbarians, and I generally find in Small World that there is little substitute for raw numbers. You get even more of most of these races than you do Ratmen, which removes their USP altogether.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.