10 Posts

Folklore: The Affliction» Forums » General

Subject: Mini´s and exploration? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonte Rydberg
msg tools
mb
I have been looking a bit at this game and it seems very interesting.
One question I havent been able to find out is details about the mini-combat and explorations?
From the animated gif example on the kickstarter page, the minibased combat looks pretty static and dull. Do we have any more information/examples of how it is performed?
Also, will there be any exploration of dungeons etc as part of this? It looks like you might just pick one dungeontile and play your entire encounter on that tile?

Im afraid it will be to similiar as A Touch Of Evil, which in my opinion never manages to get exciting :-(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonte1977 wrote:
I have been looking a bit at this game and it seems very interesting.
One question I haven' t been able to find out is details about the mini-combat and explorations?
From the animated gif example on the kickstarter page, the minibased combat looks pretty static and dull. Do we have any more information/examples of how it is performed?
Also, will there be any exploration of dungeons etc as part of this? It looks like you might just pick one dungeontile and play your entire encounter on that tile?

Im afraid it will be to similiar as A Touch Of Evil, which in my opinion never manages to get exciting :-(

Good question. It may be that different tiles must be played in order to fully explore a single dungeon? And anyway: it is hard to judge the game feel by one element alone, of course.

In any case I think I am going to make those "encounter tiles" myself with scenery and stuff. More immersion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
This does not answer the original poster's question re elements of exploration vs. it just being one combat after another one.

Is there exploration?

Are there things other than combat, traps, and loot to find?

If so, do they have abilities beyond helping you move or fight?

Maybe another way to ask it is, if this were D&D, would it be 3.5, 4, or 5? From all I can see, it looks like a combat-oriented 4th ed. style. Is that right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonte1977 wrote:
looks like you might just pick one dungeontile and play your entire encounter on that tile?

WellI watched the preview by Ryan - it seems that one dungeon tile can lead to another, so it's not always "1-tiled". Also you can rest in dungeons which can trigger additional spawns.

For the rest I am as curious as you if some dungeons can get quite far and deep towards for instance some end boss. What that is concerned I am wondering about all the tiles being 10x10, so most probably no small pathways and such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teowulff wrote:
Jonte1977 wrote:
looks like you might just pick one dungeontile and play your entire encounter on that tile?

WellI watched the preview by Ryan

Keep in mind that Ryan's preview is a year old and is based on the previous incarnation of Folklore. That KS was canceled due to issues with funding and shipping costs and some stretch goal controversies, and then GBG got involved and partnered with the previous publisher. My assumption would be that additional development has occurred and some things have changed with the rules and components between the two versions.

EDIT: Changes from the previous version were just confirmed by Tony in the Kickstarter comments:
Tony Gullotti wrote:
@Teowulff - Note that preview is over a year old and the most outdated content available onlineonline (anything not 2015 isn't up to date). It could be used as a rough idea of some things, but much has changed in the game.
-Tony @ GBG

Of course, this only makes a rules link even more important since we don't know what's in and what's out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grandslam wrote:

Is there exploration?
Are there things other than combat, traps, and loot to find?
If so, do they have abilities beyond helping you move or fight?

As far as I have seen there is nothing that points to possibility to actually explore a " dungeon", if there is actually something like that in the game at all.

What I do understand though is that you can get clues for a quest and other pieces of information during your adventure. But things are nowhere as complex as in AD&D.

martidem wrote:
Of course, this only makes a rules link even more important since we don't know what's in and what's out.

True. But since there are still magnifying glasses and doors in the game box I guess things as seeking treasure (or traps) and multi-tile encounters/"dungeons" aren' t out.

Although the tile sizes and the lack of 1x5 tile pathways indicate that encounters won't be anything like Descent like dungeon crawls.

And yes, a rulebook or gameplay vid would be very welcome! Why don't they just offer the old rulebook in pdf to get at least a first global, rough idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teowulff wrote:
And yes, a rulebook or gameplay vid would be very welcome! Why don't they just offer the old rulebook in pdf to get at least a first global, rough idea.

They've admitted that they have a new rulebook that was sent to reviewers and playtesters. Why don't they just offer that? They've said that the reason is that they are worried that backers won't understand that the rules are prototype and aren't polished/pretty enough. (See here.) Sure, some things will change between now and final print (this is KS and we all understand that the product isn't 100% finalized yet), but if it's going to change so much that they can't share the rules right now, then there's a bigger concern with the game than not seeing the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
martidem wrote:
They've admitted that they have a new rulebook that was sent to reviewers and playtesters. Why don't they just offer that? They've said that the reason is that they are worried that backers won't understand that the rules are prototype and aren't polished/pretty enough. (See here.)
Sure, some things will change between now and final print (this is KS and we all understand that the product isn't 100% finalized yet), but if it's going to change so much that they can't share the rules right now, then there's a bigger concern with the game than not seeing the rules.

Yes it's beyond me as well. Concern that backers won't understand the difference between beta rules and final rules?! It's not that this is the first or only kickstarter that offers beta (or even alpha) rules .. it even happens on a regular basis that a KS creator lets the backers review the rulebook and adjusts it according to the feedback.

What GBG's reasons are we can only guess .. but it doesn't really help creating backer's confidence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teowulff wrote:
martidem wrote:
They've admitted that they have a new rulebook that was sent to reviewers and playtesters. Why don't they just offer that? They've said that the reason is that they are worried that backers won't understand that the rules are prototype and aren't polished/pretty enough. (See here.)
Sure, some things will change between now and final print (this is KS and we all understand that the product isn't 100% finalized yet), but if it's going to change so much that they can't share the rules right now, then there's a bigger concern with the game than not seeing the rules.

Yes it's beyond me as well. Concern that backers won't understand the difference between beta rules and final rules?! It's not that this is the first or only kickstarter that offers beta (or even alpha) rules .. it even happens on a regular basis that a KS creator lets the backers review the rulebook and adjusts it according to the feedback.

What GBG's reasons are we can only guess .. but it doesn't really help creating backer's confidence.

I can't speak for everyone, obviously, but I've been burned one too many times with sub-par Kickstarter games. Among other personal criteria for what to back and what not to back, I no longer back any game that doesn't provide the rules as part of the KS. It's too easy to get caught up in the hype and not really know what I'm getting. My shelf doesn't need any more games that are absolutely gorgeous but have poor gameplay and under-developed mechanics.

If a game isn't far enough along in the development process to provide rules (even if some of those might still change slightly), then it probably isn't far enough along to be on Kickstarter. And, in that case, it probably isn't worth the risk to me. There are too many other games out there that I can find info on and know exactly what I'm getting. Just my two cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coles
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
martidem wrote:
Teowulff wrote:
martidem wrote:

I can't speak for everyone, obviously, but I've been burned one too many times with sub-par Kickstarter games. Among other personal criteria for what to back and what not to back, I no longer back any game that doesn't provide the rules as part of the KS. It's too easy to get caught up in the hype and not really know what I'm getting. My shelf doesn't need any more games that are absolutely gorgeous but have poor gameplay and under-developed mechanics.

If a game isn't far enough along in the development process to provide rules (even if some of those might still change slightly), then it probably isn't far enough along to be on Kickstarter. And, in that case, it probably isn't worth the risk to me. There are too many other games out there that I can find info on and know exactly what I'm getting. Just my two cents.

FYI A BETA version of the rules has been posted now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.