7 Posts

Dread Pirate» Forums » Variants

Subject: New alternate rules for Dread Pirate - feedback needed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: rules [+] pirate [+] [View All]
Joel Dueck

Minnesota
msg tools
My brother bought this game on Boxing Day, without reading the reviews here first, obviously

But somewhere inside that Groundhog's Day scenario of constantly rolling to see who's higher, there is an interesting game struggling to get out. I've developed a rough draft at some alternative rules that add some new dimensions to battles and raiding, detailed and available for download from my personal website:

http://jdueck.net/article/154/black-spot-rules

I'm new at this, and would like to know if any of you who have had Dread Pirate collecting dust on your shelves since the second time you played it would be willing to take a look and offer your comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good Job Joel!

My initial reaction is 'MOST COOL!!!'

I printed these out and will study them more to see if I come up with anything awkward or that may suggest a change.

I have the MASTER AND COMMANDER version and this game just BEGS for something to get it going.

I will review the rules over the weekend and see what I come up with!

-John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Kennedy
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This certainly sounds more interesting than the real rules. I'm unclear on the desperation gambit and when it can be used. If either player can just declare it at the start of a battle it sounds like it would always be in the interest of a bigger ship to declare it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Dueck

Minnesota
msg tools
thelivekennedy wrote:
This certainly sounds more interesting than the real rules. I'm unclear on the desperation gambit and when it can be used. If either player can just declare it at the start of a battle it sounds like it would always be in the interest of a bigger ship to declare it.

I was working from the standard rules Desperation Gambit as a starting point, so what I had in mind was that the attacker could declare it at the start of the battle.

Good points, though, especially on the gameplay issue. If we wanted to err on the side of realism, we might say that a bigger ship with more guns is just more likely to win a gambit. Another option would be to do away with them altogether, since I'm not sure what the real-world counterpart to a DG is anyway. However, I think DGs are useful as an option for, well, desperate players. The disincentive to using them when you are not actually desperate is that if you lose, you're basically out of the game. I would think that ought to be enough to keep their use down to an appropriate level. I'm guess I'm going to have to try playing either way and see what it feels like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Dueck

Minnesota
msg tools
Great. I'm working off of what I think is the bookshelf edition, and I'm interested in how the differences between the editions affect the play with these new rules.

JohnnyD wrote:
...I printed these out and will study them more to see if I come up with anything awkward or that may suggest a change.

I have the MASTER AND COMMANDER version and this game just BEGS for something to get it going.

I will review the rules over the weekend and see what I come up with!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think there is any difference in the games.....just the chrome in which they were made and packaged!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy E
United States
California
flag msg tools
I really appreciate this man, me and my girlfriend bought this game and played it once already and didnt think it was all that great, it really needed to be spiced up so we were going to make up our own rules but this helps alot. Very well thought out and way better than what I could come up with. One thing is I wished there was more jewels or something, the game seemed to go to fast. I'll try it out this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.