Space Cadets: Away Missions» Forums » General

Subject: I have Imperial Assault...Should I buy this? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
pedro tronic
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have IA, this game feels different and it can be in the same game collection or they are similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PC ichigo
Thailand
Bangbuathong
Nonthaburi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's quiet different from Star Wars: Imperial Assult, this one is purely co-op, no player need to be play as alien. And the map is different every time you play, since you have to discover new tile room while you play.

Should you buy it?... that's difficult to answer...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pedro tronic
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I like dungeon crawlers and it's to know if they are quite different or not. If they are similar, I'll stick to IA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pedrotronic wrote:
Well, I like dungeon crawlers and it's to know if they are quite different or not. If they are similar, I'll stick to IA

It's not star wars. Also the mechanics are significantly different.
If you are intrigued by the idea of 50's style radio-play sci-fi, or you enjoy exploration survival games, this would be a good game for you.

Can it be on the same shelf as IA? Again, with IA you are talking about a specific intellectual property. You own and enjoy IA BECAUSE it is Star Wars, otherwise you would have been happy with Descent.

If you don't specifically love IA BECAUSE it is Star Wars, then yes, you really should get Space Cadets. Otherwise, it is a solid maybe. As in maybe you should get it to see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Halsey
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Jae. I played this last night and one friend has IA and Mice and Mystics. He was really frustrated by the simplicity of Space Cadets. He didn't like the combat system on the part of the Aliens.

My other friend loved it because it wasn't as difficult to pick up and play as other dungeon crawlers.

I personally had a dungeon crawler itch and I think Space Cadets scratched it just fine. It's truly a beer and pretzels dungeon crawler. It will challenge you to accomplish the missions but the rules themselves won't.

I do think the IA components feel more valuable. The Space Cadets components are fun but those Star Wars minis make you feel like you really have something to show off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a very different game. It is much more along the lines of traditional co-op games, with a puzzle feel. The theme is cool and there's obviously rolling dice and blowing away aliens, but there's also a lot of planning out how many moves you can take before the sentinel reaches you and such. So it's less skirmish-y than Descent/IA, but with just a bit of dice rolling to give more variation and excitement than something like Pandemic.

I can't say if you like this sort of game, but I would say it's definitely not the same as Imperial Assault.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While the scenarios get more difficult in SC:AM there is not character progression like in SW:IA. I have not played the skirmish mode. SC:AM is more approachable. The range and LOS is much easier in SC:AM, as is the conflict resolution. The overkill mechanism is a much different feel than how things are resolved in IA. The money commitment will most likely be less, as with IA you will most likely want to buy a lot of expansions, and yes while at least one expansion is planned for SC:AM it should not grow into the money machine that SW:IA is becoming. (I enjoy SW:IA, but I'm glad I play someone else's copy it in my game group.)

I think there is room for both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have SWIA, but demoed SCAM (I love this acronym) in Essen and played one mission. They are both space themed tactical games, but there the differences end. The theme is really different and the main difference is the human opponent in SWIA to the full coop of SCAM. So I think it is not bad to have both games on your shelf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Rose
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Locu wrote:
SCAM (I love this acronym)

Yes, it's much better than the one for "Space Cadets: Away Teams".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes buy it. They're different enough and both are awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
https://www.twitch.tv/gamerhudson
badge
https://www.instagram.com/gamer.hudson/
mbmbmbmbmb
does it really need 3 people or is it more like someone either playing 2 cadets and another 1 or one person playing 3 etc etc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Haggerty
United States
flag msg tools
BattleZone wrote:
does it really need 3 people or is it more like someone either playing 2 cadets and another 1 or one person playing 3 etc etc

Jason,

Not sure why you think the game needs 3 people to play.

Of the game's 20 core scenarios:

a) 11 are designed for 2-4 Rocketeers and all 11 of these are quite manageable with just 2-players running 1 Rocketeer each.

b) 4 are designed for 2-6 Rocketeers, and the note for (a) still applies.

c) 3 are designed for 5-6 Rocketeers, so if you have fewer than 5 players, some will need to run more than one Rocketeer.

d) 1 scenario is designed for 6 Rocketeers, so if you have fewer than 6 players, some will need to run more than one Rocketeer.

e) 1 scenario is designed as a solo game for 1-Rocketeer/1-player (with a "competitive" multiplayer option).

Footnote (as it's not directly responsive to Jason's specific question):
All of the scenarios are playable by a single player willing to run at least the minimum number of Rocketeers that any scenario specifies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
https://www.twitch.tv/gamerhudson
badge
https://www.instagram.com/gamer.hudson/
mbmbmbmbmb
well i mean just going by the box is all. says 3-6 people

ok cool thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Raspler
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BattleZone wrote:
well i mean just going by the box is all. says 3-6 people

Jason, can you double-check that, please? On my box is says 1-6 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Jaeger
Germany
Burtenbach
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1-6 is correct and says so on the box cover. There was only one print run so there cannot be misprints. It also says 1-6 on the front cover of the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.