Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tobias Dracup
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To those who play it extensively, would you say I need to collect multiple sets to get the most out of the game, or just one of each box is good?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Bottorff
msg tools
mb
If you are hoping to play extensively and you are not part of a group where someone else has a set I would recommend having two. Otherwise, one will probably do you fine.

Unless you feel you really really need two zombie dragons or runic cannons I don't think anyone would need two of the expansion sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, as others said one singe core gives a lot of room for testing. Armybuilding is not as hard and does not need such a big pool as LCGs: you basically need to decide if you wanna go mono race or mix two of them. For mono race you might miss a few disks, but is nothing so terrible that the game cannot be enjoyed.

Get just the core set, and after 10 games you will know if you wanna have it all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Two core sets is desirable but multiples of expansions is unnecessary unless you want to try some really outlandish builds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Haunting Questions
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with everyone else -- typically one set should be good.

I did end up getting three of the base set so that we could have the option of going for three of some of the small units... but that was more the collector in me than the gamer in me. We also really appreciated having two sets of dice and an extra range-ruler.

I suppose more options in terms of the terrain was good, too. We could theme forests a little more extensively, for example.

(And I was able to sell off most of the remaining pieces on eBay to make most of the money back; if not for that, I don't think it would have been worth it.)

As far as game quality goes, though -- you should be good with dozens of plays with just one set. After that, you should be able to make an informed decision about what you would get out of anything more.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.