Arcadia Quest» Forums » Rules

Subject: battle cry with extra turn potion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
question; if i have a hero A that has both battle cry (on crit activate another ally) and the extra turn potion and want to use both in the same turn, is that possible?
ie i activate hero A, during the attack she rolls a crit so allows to activate another ally this turn (i thus may activate hero B), then hero A drinks the potion, i then activate hero B, the turn ends.
due to the potion i activate hero A again, which in her turn uses another attack with a crit allowing to activate yet another hero.

my question is regarding the timing of drinking the potion and activating. would activating hero B mean that hero'A turn ends without being able to drink the potion and/or would it mean that with the potion i must activate hero B as he was the last one to act?

or can both combine just fine?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Penrose
United States
Derby
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played it with the player able to either activate another hero or drink the extra turn potion.

My reasoning was that once the other hero is activated by Battle Cry, the initial hero is no longer active and cannot drink the potion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not possible. If you check the manual, you will see that the extra turn must be taken immediately after drinking the potion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the argument that i think makes it possible is that the battle cry card specifies "you may activate another ally this turn" which leads me to believe that 2nd hero is acting in the same turn ie not a different turn, so as technically the turn of hero A didnt end (only its activation), you could drink the potion at the end of the turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Gudmundsson
Iceland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that you can not drink a potion (no matter the potion) for a hero unless it is the active hero. So you can activate the hero twice with that potion, then hope for crits on the attack in the second activation and then you can activate a second hero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Moncrieff
Australia
flag msg tools
The FAQ says:
Quote:
BATTLE CRY Q. When do I perform the extra activation Battle Cry allows? A. After completing the activation of the active Hero, you may use any extra activations you received, one Hero at a time. Remember that a player may activate each of his Heroes only once per turn.

Based on this I would say you could use battle cry and an extra turn potion as follows:
Activate hero A who accrues another activation by rolling a crit during an attack while carrying battle cry. Use the extra turn potion and immediately reactivate hero A who may accrue another activation using battle cry. Then activate heroes B and C. Note you can't activate hero B twice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matheus Affonso
Brazil
Porto Alegre
RS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We ran into that same issue on our last session. The thing is, I don't think the FAQ entry covers that conflict. The Extra Turn Potion gives you an extra turn, not an extra activation.

Here's the potion's rule as per the rulebook:

Quote:
Extra Turn Potion: The Hero may freely discard this token at the end of his turn to immediately perform another full turn. That same Hero is activated again normally.

So, when read literally, there are a few things that can be understood from the text:

1. The potion must be consumed at the end of the hero's turn. It cannot be discarded before attacking. This may seem trivial, but makes sense with the rest of the ruling.

2. The effect of the potion happens immediately. That's why it is discarded at the end of the turn.

3. The potion grants another full turn, in which the player must activate the hero who drank it. It doesn't grant an extra activation, but "another full turn".

So, with that in mind, let's see what the text for Battle Cry says:

Quote:
Battle Cry: If your attack rolls any Crit, you may activate another allied Hero this turn.

Once again, reading the card's text gives you the following information:

1. The effect activates immediately when you roll any crit during an attack. That means that once a crit was rolled, you bank one extra activation that can be used when adequate.

2. The effect allows you to activate a hero who is not the one equipped with Battle Cry.

3. The extra activation is optional, and if used, must be taken the same turn during which it was banked.

So, with all that considered, we have the following scenario:

Jøhan is equipped with Battle Cry and has an Extra Turn Potion. He attacks a Goblin Archer, rolling at least one crit, which activates Battle Cry.

Now, if he chooses to drink the potion, which must be done "at the end of the hero's turn", the turn is over. Since Battle Cry's effect is optional and must be used in the same turn the extra activation was banked, the player who controls Jøhan does not get to activate another ally. If he rolls a crit during this new turn, he gets to activate Battle Cry's effect normally, and may activate another hero at the end of the extra turn. On the other hand, if he chooses to not drink the potion and use Battle Cry's extra activation, Jøhan does not get to drink the potion anymore, because now he is not the active hero.

So now we get to the FAQ, as quoted by Peter:

Quote:
BATTLE CRY Q. When do I perform the extra activation Battle Cry allows? A. After completing the activation of the active Hero, you may use any extra activations you received, one Hero at a time. Remember that a player may activate each of his Heroes only once per turn.

The official ruling says you can use your extra activations in any order you choose. It also emphasises the rule that allows you to activate each hero "only once per turn". So, the way I read that FAQ entry, it actually reinforces the interpretation that Battle Cry and Extra Turn Potion cannot be chained together. The potion gives you an extra turn, so as to not conflict with the one activation per hero rule. Since it gives you an extra turn, it does not go into the extra activations pool, which means it is not explicitly covered by the FAQ.

All that being said, Thiago posted the following to a thread in the CMoN forum (http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/showthread.php?58931-Que...):

Loophole Master wrote:
Sure thing! Yep, the Extra Turn potion can only be used to give the hero another full activation. It can't be used to rest.

So, with his statement, either (1) he's saying that the potion gives an extra activation to the hero who drinks it, while leaving the fact that this activation is made during a new turn implicit, or (2) he's saying that the potion does not give you an extra turn, but only an extra activation to the hero who drank it, and that all of this happens on the same turn.

If the RAW is to be taken into consideration, then he must have meant (1). If he meant (2), then the RAW has inconsistent terminology which should be fixed by an errata.

Either way, that is, of course, just my own interpretation.

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.