BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Party strategy games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
kelly osland
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I am going to a few game parties this month and I am looking for new board games. I played Terra Mystica this weekend and I fell in love with it. I am looking for a few more board games that are suitable for any skill level. This is also my first post so I do not know how to include links.
I also am looking for some more strategy games for more advanced players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pup Selchen
Germany
Kassel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the concepts of "party" and "strategy" games may not be completely conflicting but they are nonetheless rather hard to combine, I'm afraid...a party game as I understand it will be accessable, easy to explain and grasp and playable with more people in a shorter time. A strategy game will make for interesting, deep decisions that influence the rest of the game and thus almost always contain a few more rules, therefor need more explaining and generally tend to go on for longer, because it's hard to have meaningful decisions when the game is over in five minutes.

That being said, I'm coming more from the "party" side of your request and suggest you may want to look into the following games:
- 7 Wonders gives you an interesting drafting mechanism that allows for some interesting strategy (heavily influenced by tactics, that is) in only 30 minutes with up to 7 players. 7 Wonders: Cities increases the player count to 8, 7 Wonders: Babel adds complexity while adding play time as well. Personally, it is my go-to game for some interesting strategy and building something while playing with a lot of people in a shorter time.
- Codenames came out just now and is designed by the great Vlaada Chvatil. It may not be what you have thought of when asking for a "strategy" game, but it's got a very interesting and not trivial gameplay for up to more than 8 players. It can be explained in 3 minutes and played in 15. Personally, I think this is a great, great, great party game.
- Race for the Galaxy may seem an odd recommendation, but I think it fits your bill: It's not a classical "party" game as it allows only 4 players. But since you did not say that you necessarily need a lot of players, I will elaborate. RftG is a fast playing game (30-45 minutes) that contains a massive amount of strategy and tactics in this short playtime. It has often been described as the one game that packs the most strategy in the shortest time span. It does take some time to get the gameplay going fluently as it plays really fast once its iconology got memorized but afterwards it is fast and deep.

Hope I could help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To link things, click the "insert geek link" and enter what you want in the box. Fiddle a bit with it and you'll get it.

Party Strategy games is a bit tough as the more "thinky" a game gets, the less party.

But a classic recommendation for any skill level yet still enjoyable for most gamers is Ticket to Ride. Another might be Pandemic which is a little more demanding of newbies.

More advanced games opens up a whole universe, but since you like TM, I'll suggest Rococo

But hang around the general forums and this one and just listen in and you will get some ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Party & Strategy is odd. By reputation (not personal experience), Wits & Wagers is "suitable for any skill level".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
we've been enjoying Fresco lately. Comes with 3 expansions so, you could start with the base game for a less intense experience, add the supplements as you want.

but, not sure what you are looking for so.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.