Subject: Immortal Disorder [Spoilers] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carson Fasching
United States
Chippewa Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
So I ended up drawing Immortal on a Berserker and I have to say that this is the most powerful thing I have ever seen. Just posting it up for peer review (mostly rules review).

Berserker states that I can use my activate to suffer bash and frenzy, which gives +1 Str and +1 Spd as well as 1d5 Insanity (which helps with Immortal), cannot use Fighting Arts (which Berserker is all I have for now) and Survival (which does kinda suck).

Immortal states "While you are Insane, convert all damage dealt to your hit locations to brain damage. You cannot spend survival while Insane."

Now, I cannot use Survival anyways, so Berserker is just a method of building tertiary health and gaining some stats from it, I don't have Frenzy Drink yet for more boost unfortunately, but this character is rolling 17 Insanity and face tanked the Butcher because his Screaming Mood kept healing me off good frenzy rolls.

Now, playing as I have, the only thing I have to worry about is Hunt Events (especially because she bumped up to 6 Courage during the Butcher fight) and the Screaming Antelope aftermath will require I play with a little more reckless abandon to keep my Insanity down. Oh... and random death, but everyone has to worry about that.

So what does everyone think? Early game invincibility?

PS: This character also plucked an Adventure Sword with her six courage so... she is quite literally the best Survivor our group has seen in six campaigns, but she is also the last female in a settlement with Survival of the Fittest so the game is basically a ticking timebomb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Teves II
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
"Try to pretend like you understand what's important."
badge
"Crafted with genius, energized with madness."
mbmbmbmbmb
It's definitely powerful. One of my campaigns has an Immortal person with Frenzy Drink, rolling three dice on a Zanbato. Unfortunately, her insanity is pretty low right now.

But she also happened to gain the Strategist fighting art, which is one she can make complete use of before going into frenzy, hooking up our archer with a stone face.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien M
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it's pretty powerful, but being insane is rarely good. Being really insane can get you killed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Vazquez
msg tools
mbmbmb
Entice wrote:
Yes, it's pretty powerful, but being insane is rarely good. Being really insane can get you killed.

I have a character on 20 insanity right now and no real way of bringing that down. I'm kind of waiting for that to bite me in the ass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Teves II
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a 20+ insanity person once.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Then I drew the Murder settlement event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The death of immortality happens when you go after enough level 2 hunts.

Sometime or other, she'll find a moment of clarity in the darkness, and she'll become completely, and unluckily, sane.

The other thing to be wary of is ways of gaining blood tokens wthout rolling on the injury chart (like when you're fighting the Butcher).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike M
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
You still need to be wary of bleeding. Not sure how you dealt with that on the butcher. Even though you took the damage on your insanity the butcher still deals out piles of bleeding tokens and at 5 you die.

Remember just because you had armor (or insanity) doesn't mean you didn't take damage. So "after damage" effects still happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Vincent Alonzo
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
odinsgrandson wrote:

Sometime or other, she'll find a moment of clarity in the darkness, and she'll become completely, and unluckily, sane.

The other thing to be wary of is ways of gaining blood tokens wthout rolling on the injury chart (like when you're fighting the Butcher).

Yeh good point... Bleed Tokens are totally separate from regular damage, so there is a real danger there too with using the "Immortal" tactic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carson Fasching
United States
Chippewa Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
dirksj wrote:
You still need to be wary of bleeding. Not sure how you dealt with that on the butcher. Even though you took the damage on your insanity the butcher still deals out piles of bleeding tokens and at 5 you die.

Remember just because you had armor (or insanity) doesn't mean you didn't take damage. So "after damage" effects still happen.

We have a dedicated hard support character with bandages and lion's harp. So long as nobody dies, he doesn't add Bleed 1 to all attack profiles, the trick is to hope that your wounds land on his Bleed AI cards (which it apparently did). The only thing I was legitimately worried about was hitting his Super Dense location, for she was hacking with a Bone Axe at the time.

And yes, I realize that insanity (especially with high courage) isn't the best thing to have as far as random events go. But as far as I am concerned, she is the only female left in a settlement with Survival of the Fittest, so what goes up will eventually come crashing down one way or another.

She's probably gonna end up earning her own miniature out of the armor kits as an epitath, because the group is really loving her right now. I don't think they realize that she's just pulling a highwire act right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmit Svenson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
SybilznBitz wrote:
...she is also the last female in a settlement with Survival of the Fittest so the game is basically a ticking timebomb.

The Facepainting endeavor is not limited to once a turn. After spending one endeavor on innovating, you can spend three on Facepainting and then guzzle love juice at zero risk to your survivors, even with Survival of the Fittest. That makes twins and saviors more likely, too. Make one more female that way and breathe easier.

Certain events (e.g. Lights in the Sky) help with this process.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carson Fasching
United States
Chippewa Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
emmit svenson wrote:
The Facepainting endeavor is not limited to once a turn. After spending one endeavor on innovating, you can spend three on Facepainting and then guzzle love juice at zero risk to your survivors, even with Survival of the Fittest. That makes twins and saviors more likely, too. Make one more female that way and breathe easier.

Thank you sir. You may have saved our settlement.
To be honest, that innovation line hasn't been getting a lot of love in our campaigns, not because we don't think it's bad, but because 'more important' ones always come up alongside them... like Symposium.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Nudi
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
emmit svenson wrote:
SybilznBitz wrote:
...she is also the last female in a settlement with Survival of the Fittest so the game is basically a ticking timebomb.

Would a 9 with a +1 modifier result in a savior or only a lantern 10? I thought the latter, but that would change my outlook on survival of the fittest...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Teves II
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not like the table has separate results for 10 vs lantern. It's a savior.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Nudi
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
poeticallybored wrote:
It's not like the table has separate results for 10 vs lantern. It's a savior.

Just pulled up the book on this one and I had incorrectly remembered that as a Lantern rather than a 10. Now I'll have to try SotF on my next settlement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:

Or you'll roll low in the darkness and die since you can't spend survival. I lost my only immortal survivor that way. Not a problem if you only fight nemesis monsters with her, though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jochen H
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
[q="jma5terj"]
Quote:
Not a problem if you only fight nemesis monsters with her, though!

The Butchers Bite AI card disagrees.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Teves II
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yardeg wrote:
[q="jma5terj"]
Quote:
Not a problem if you only fight nemesis monsters with her, though!

The Butchers Bite AI card disagrees. ;)

And King's Man's coup de grace...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.