Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all!

I'm ready to pull the trigger on this, but I can't find the info that's most important to me as a gamer. I read both the reviews in these forums, and the description on the KS, and can't find this info. If it's available in a quick link, I'd appreciate it!

What triggers the end of the game?

How is the winner determined?

I know there are objective cards, but are they cumulative a la TI:3 or Nexus Ops? Or is it first one to accomplish their lone objective card wins?

Thanks for the info!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
epilepticemu wrote:

When a player places their 6th star, the game ends. Stars can be gained through a variety of different conditions - constructing all your mechs, reach the top of the power/popularity track, etc.

Quote:

Whoever has the most money at the end - wins. However, after end-game there's ways for people to get more money, based mostly on popularity.

Quote:
I know there are objective cards, but are they cumulative a la TI:3 or Nexus Ops? Or is it first one to accomplish their lone objective card wins?

Thanks for the info!

Completing one of the two objectives you get at the beginning of the game will get you a star.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keven
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the rules are available HERE, ill edit when i find the answer

Edit: Got ninja'ed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua R
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
GO TO JAPAN!
badge
Artist: Shohei Otomo
mbmbmbmbmb
The important thing re: determining the winner is that the value of the different scoring elements (Stars, Hexes controlled and resources) varies depending on where you are on the popularity track.

So a player with fewer of those things that's higher on the popularity track when the game ends can score higher than someone that has more but is not as popular. It makes for some really interesting choices during the game.

Thought that might be interesting to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reitoei wrote:
The important thing re: determining the winner is that the value of the different scoring elements (Stars, Hexes controlled and resources) varies depending on where you are on the popularity track.

So a player with fewer of those things that's higher on the popularity track when the game ends can score higher than someone that has more but is not as popular. It makes for some really interesting choices during the game.

Thought that might be interesting to you.

I personally love the sound of that. One of the things that made me give up and sell Euphoria is that it was essentially a "Race" game with the placement of the stars. Falling behind just meant you lost, period, there was no way to win if you had 8 points at game end and another player had 10 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting stuff, thanks for the tips guys! I ended up skimming the rules any way, even though I REALLY didn't have time at work today. Doh...

I generally don't really like point salad euros. I think they can be pretty opaque in terms of how to get a high score. This one doesn't seem too bad, although the popularity track changing scoring even more might exacerbate that problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IronSyndicate wrote:
epilepticemu wrote:

When a player places their 6th star, the game ends. Stars can be gained through a variety of different conditions - constructing all your mechs, reach the top of the power/popularity track, etc.

Quote:

Whoever has the most money at the end - wins. However, after end-game there's ways for people to get more money, based mostly on popularity.

For sake of completeness; I believe why popularity is the most significant end game scoring condition is that it almost applies as a multiplier to the other three non-modular end game scoring conditions - Stars, territory and resources. While the difference between 5 stars and 6 at the end of the game is either 3, 4 or 5 points, the difference between 6 and 7 popularity is 1 point for every star, for every two resources and for every territory.

...Granted popularity is more stepped than granular compared to the other scoring categories - There doesn't seem to be any difference between 7 and 10 popularity, only between 6 and 7, 12 and 13, and 17 and 18 (A star, in the case of 18, when you reach it rather than for as long as you stay there)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua R
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
GO TO JAPAN!
badge
Artist: Shohei Otomo
mbmbmbmbmb
epilepticemu wrote:
I think they can be pretty opaque in terms of how to get a high score.

Without questioning how/why you enjoy your games, I'm interested to know exactly what you mean by this... Do you want to know what the one clear path to victory is? If so, this might be a baaaad game for you.

There is randomness in what faction you have (and therefore board position), what player mat gets paired with your faction mat, what objective cards you draw and a couple other axes as well, including how the other players' setups force them to interact with you or the board. All of this combines into what seems to me to be a "many paths to victory and you eventually have to use them all" sort of game.

Even telling who is in the lead at any time could be hard, since it involves mentally tallying everyone's cash, resources, land and objectives and then filtering that through their current positions on the popularity track.

Maybe that's reading too much into your comment, but in the interest of being fully informed, that's my opinion on the matter!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reitoei wrote:
epilepticemu wrote:
I think they can be pretty opaque in terms of how to get a high score.

Without questioning how/why you enjoy your games, I'm interested to know exactly what you mean by this... Do you want to know what the one clear path to victory is? If so, this might be a baaaad game for you.

I know the game is designed to offer many paths to victory, so no, I'm not expecting "one clear path to victory."

What I mean is that I tried paths A & B and Steve tried paths C & E. Steve beat me by a fair margin of points at the end. Did I score poorly because A & B were a bad combination to choose given my faction/player mat/other variables? Or did I simply make inefficient action decisions? Either are plausible, but it can be harder to tell which is more accurate and improve my playing. I find that's the case more often with point salad type games than games with more concrete scoring, like Cyclades for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.